Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Square like special characters in .csv file Post 302747547 by Sanchalla on Friday 21st of December 2012 02:49:31 PM
Old 12-21-2012
Hi vbe -
Thanks for your prompt reply. I donot expect you to reply only today . Enjoy your weekend.

Code:
This is Sun Solaris sun-Fire-V490 .

EMP_ID
UNQ_ID
WORK_CITY 
E
MAJOR_
UPDATED_O
UPDATEDON_TI
TEAM_END_
---------
-----------
--------------------
-
----------
---------
------------
---------

NEW YORK 
N
E 

25-Jun-12

11:53:34 AM

25-Jun-12

LONDON 
N
EQ 

27-Jul-12

12:37:30 PM

27-Jul-12

[/COLOR][/FONT]

The above is what i copied from .csv file attachment. The square like things are on there but when i copy they dont get copied over. Like here they are present after EMP_WORK_CITY(a square box) and the data values also have these boxes.

In unix : this is how it looks
Code:
EMP_ID,UNQ_ID,WORK_CITY ,E,CVG_MAJOR_,UPDATED_O,UPDATEDON_TI,TEAM_END_
---------,-----------,--------------------,-,----------,---------,------------,---------
000123456, 888888888,LONDON ,N,E ,23-JUL-12, 15:41:33 PM,15-MAY-08
000567890, 222222222,MONTREAL ,N,E ,23-JUL-12, 15:41:33 PM,15-MAY-06

unfortunately i cannot take a snapshot and paste here.hope this helps. I am doing the same routine for many other sqls and end up having same problem .Thanks!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags for code and data

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: code tags; removed excess font formatting

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characters in file

I have file special.txt with the following data. <header info> 123$ty5%98&0asd 1@356fgbv78 09*&^5jkns43( ...........some more rows. In my output file, I want to eliminate all the special characters in my file and I want all other data. need some help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there anyway to grep any special characters from a file ?

Is there any command or shell script to grep any special character from a file ? I have a huge file containing millions of user names; the requirement is to find names containing special characters. #!/bin/bash for i in `cat username.txt` do #COMMAND to grep special character done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Special characters in file

Hi, I am facing a below problem. Inorder to mak sure the below file is fixed width i am using the following command awk '{printf("%-375s\n", $0) } so as to add trailing spaces at the end for records of length less than 375. Input file > inp.txt 1©1234 1234 123©1 The output file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcus_kosaman
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Special character ^@ in CSV file

All, I am having a tough time with Linux and CSV file. My CSV file gets generated from Cognos on Linux machine that contains special characters. At first instance when I do vi <filename> to that file, I can't see anything. I did tail -2 and redirected to another temp file and did vi <filename>,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: donadarsh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute special Characters into a file

Hi experts :) I need to replace special characters into a file , in the followiing way : " --> "" ' --> '' _--> \_ I tried with the sed command but I'm getting and error ksh: $: not found. ksh: $: not found. sed: Function s/\/\/ cannot be parsed. Any idea ? Thanks , KOLAS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kolas79
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Special control characters in file

Hi Guys, We receive some huge files on to Linux server. Source system use FTP mechanism to transfer these files on our server. Occasionally one record is getting corrupted while transfer, some control characters are injecting into the file. How to fix this issue ? please advice ? Sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth38
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Naming file with special characters ?

Hi all, I have a problem with file naming in linux. I have to create a file named like 11/22.csv but shell displays error: no such file or dir. Problem is / character in the file name. I searched unix linux naming concepts and it's restricted in OS. Please tell me if there's any other chance? OS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
3 Replies
AMC-EXPORT(1)						       Auto Multiple Choice						     AMC-EXPORT(1)

NAME
AMC-export - exports marks for AMC multiple choice exams. SYNOPSIS
auto-multiple-choice export --data project-data-dir --module module --fich-noms students-list.csv [--noms-encodage list-encoding] --o output-file DESCRIPTION
The AMC-export.pl command exports marks from an Auto Multiple Choice exam. --data project-data-dir gives the directory where data files are (see for example AMC-prepare(1)). --module module selects a module for export. See below for the modules included in the AMC standard distribution. --fich-noms students-list.csv sets the students list file. --noms-encodage list-encoding selects an encoding for file students-list.csv (default is utf-8). --o output-file gives the output file name. --option-out options gives an option for selected module, in the form key=value (see below for possible options for each module). To specify multiple options, use --option several times. --sort sort-type sort the students names, depending on sort-type. If sort-type is l, use line number from students list file to sort. If sort-type is m, use mark (and name if marks are equal) to sort. If sort-type is i, use student number to sort. If sort-type is n, use name to sort (or line from students list if equal). --useall all if all is 0 or empty, only students with a scaned answer sheet appears in the output. If all is 1, all students in the students list appears in the output. MODULES
OpenDocument With "--module ods", an OpenDocument (for use by OpenOffice or LibreOffice for example) is produced. The following options are recognized: nom gives a name for the exam, to be written on the beginning of the sheet. code gives an short name for the exam, to be used as a tab name. columns sets the list of columns that are to be added to each student. Default value is student.key,student.name. stats with a true value, a table will be added with statistics for all questions. statsindic with a true value, a table will be added with statistics for all indicative questions. CSV With "--module CSV", a CSV file is produced. The following options are recognized: columns sets the list of columns that are to be added to each student. Default value is student.copy,student.key,student.name. decimal sets the decimal point (default is a dot). encodage sets the encoding to use for output (default is utf-8). separateur sets the character used between colums (default is a comma). entoure sets the character used to enclose strings (default is a double quote). ticked if not empty, additional columns (with "CHECKED:" prefix) are included to give all the checked boxes on all the sheets. This can be used by an external program to retrieve all the checked boxes when marks are not sufficient. Use value 01 to get 0;0;1;1;0 if boxes 3 and 4 are checked, and value AB to get CD if boxes 3 and 4 are checked. List With "--module List", a PDF file is produced with a list of marks for all students. The following options are recognized: pagesize The page size. Default value is a4. nom gives the name of the exam, to be printed at the top of the page. ncols The number of columns. Default value is 2. decimal sets the decimal point (default is a dot). AUTHORS
Alexis Bienvenue <paamc@passoire.fr> Main author Jean Berard Translation from French Georges Khaznadar Translation from French COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008-2012 Alexis Bienvenue This document can be used according to the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. Auto Multiple Choice 1.1.1 06/19/2012 AMC-EXPORT(1)