Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep the non-matching lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep the non-matching lines Post 302747399 by AK47 on Friday 21st of December 2012 07:55:25 AM
Old 12-21-2012
Grep the non-matching lines

Hi,

I need to make a script to extract the number that are not in a file.

Example:
I have file-A that has 100000 (70000-799999) numbers. And a file-B with number that already are in the system. Now I need to know/get the numbers that are not in system.

I was thinking something like this:

cat file-A | grep -v "file-b" >> file-C but it is not posible to grep -v from a text file. Maybe a loop file ? Smilie

Advise please. tnxSmilie

Code:
file-A:

Code:
File-B:

Code:
file-C:

Invert the sense of matching, to select non-matching lines

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching lines using the date, and then joining the lines

Hi Guys, Was trying to attempt the below using awk and sed, have no luck so far, so any help would be appreciated. Current Text File: The first line has got an "\n", and the second line has got spaces/tabs then the word and "\n" TIME SERVER/CLIENT TEXT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX equivalent to GNU grep's -B and -A [print lines after or before matching lines]

Hi folks I am not allowed to install GNU grep on AIX. Here my code excerpt: grep_fatal () { /usr/sfw/bin/gegrep -B4 -A2 "FATAL|QUEUE|SIGHUP" } Howto the same on AIX based machine? from manual GNU grep ‘--after-context=num’ Print num lines of trailing context after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding lines matching the Pattern and their previous lines in a file

Hi, I am trying to locate the occurences of certain pattern like 'Possible network disconnect' in a text file. I can get the actual lines matching the pttern using: grep -w 'Possible network disconnect' file_name. But I am more interested in getting the timing of these events which are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarparadkar
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl XML, find matching condition and grep lines and put the lines somewhere else

Hi, my xml files looks something like this <Instance Name="New York"> <Description></Description> <Instance Name="A"> <Description></Description> <PropertyValue Key="false" Name="Building A" /> </Instance> <Instance Name="B"> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert lines above matching line with content from matching

Hi, I have text file: Name: xyz Gender: M Address: "120_B_C; ksilskdj; lsudlfw" Zip: 20392 Name: KLM Gender: F Address: "65_D_F; wnmlsi;lsuod;,...." Zip:90233I want to insert 2 new lines before the 'Address: ' line deriving value from this Address line value The Address value in quotes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep to find lines matching given patern in a file

When I try with patern matching in a file with below code works cat scj_drive_commands | egrep '/app/oracle/build_lib/pkg32|/app/oracle/build_lib/pkg33' But when I have code with patern searching using of below does not work ! cat scj_drive_commands | egrep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines

Hello, I have two files file 1 and file 2 each having result of a query on certain database tables and need to compare for Col1 in file1 with Col3 in file2, compare Col2 with Col4 and output the value of Col1 from File1 which is a) not present in Col3 of File2 b) value of Col2 is different from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RasB15
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print few lines before and after matching word is found suing grep?

Hi, here are few lines present in the logs. I want to grep on Error and print few lines before and after Error word is found line1 Line2 Line3 Error Line4 Line5 Line6 Line7 I want the output to be Line2 Line3 Error Line5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghadeep adity
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and where, using grep

May somebody can give me a hint. I want to find using the command "grep" a certain word or term in a foo.txt file. By using the following command grep -i word file1 > newfile4 it puts it into a new foo.txt-file, the n times it matches. Fine, it matches n times, but how could I specify where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
2 Replies
FILTERDIFF(1)															     FILTERDIFF(1)

NAME
filterdiff - extract or exclude diffs from a diff file SYNOPSIS
filterdiff [-i PATTERN] [-p n] [--strip=n] [--addprefix=PREFIX] [-x PATTERN] [--verbose] [-v] [-z] [-# RANGE | --hunks=RANGE] [--lines=RANGE] [--annotate] [--format=FORMAT] [--as-numbered-lines=WHEN] [file...] filterdiff {--help | --version | --list | --grep ...} DESCRIPTION
You can use filterdiff to obtain a patch that applies to files matching the shell wildcard PATTERN from a larger collection of patches. For example, to see the patches in patch-2.4.3.gz that apply to all files called lp.c: filterdiff -z -i '*/lp.c' patch-2.4.3.gz If neither -i nor -x options are given, -i '*' is assumed. To remove lines from a file that are not part of a patch, you might do this: filterdiff message > patch Note that the interpretation of the shell wildcard pattern does not count slash characters or periods as special (in other words, no flags are given to fnmatch). This is so that ``*/basename''-type patterns can be given without limiting the number of pathname components. You can use both unified and context format diffs with this program. OPTIONS
-i PATTERN Include only files matching PATTERN. All other lines in the input are suppressed. -x PATTERN Exclude files matching PATTERN. All other lines in the input are displayed. -p n When matching, ignore the first n components of the pathname. -# RANGE | --hunks=RANGE Only include hunks within the specified RANGE. Hunks are numbered from 1, and the range is a comma-separated list of numbers or ``first-last'' spans; either the first or the last in the span may be omitted to indicate no limit in that direction. --lines=RANGE Only include hunks that contain lines from the original file that lie within the specified RANGE. Lines are numbered from 1, and the range is a comma-separated list of numbers or ``first-last'' spans; either the first or the last in the span may be omitted to indi- cate no limit in that direction. --annotate Annotate each hunk with the filename and hunk number. --format=unified|context Use specified output format. --strip=n Remove the first n components of pathnames in the output. --addprefix=PREFIX Prefix pathnames in the output by PREFIX. --as-numbered-lines=before|after Instead of a patch fragment, display the lines of the selected hunks with the line number of the file before (or after) the patch is applied, followed by a TAB character and a colon, at the beginning of each line. Each hunk except the first will have a line con- sisting of ``...'' before it. -v, --verbose Always show non-diff lines in the output. By default, non-diff lines are only shown when excluding a filename pattern. -z Decompress files with extensions .gz and .bz2. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of filterdiff. --list Behave like lsdiff(1) instead. --grep Behave like grepdiff(1) instead. EXAMPLES
To see all patch hunks that affect the first five lines of a C file: filterdiff -i '*.c' --lines=-5 < patch To see the first hunk of each file patch, use: filterdiff -#1 patchfile To see patches modifying a ChangeLog file in a subdirectory, use: filterdiff -p1 Changelog To see the complete patches for each patch that modifies line 1 of the original file, use: filterdiff --lines=1 patchfile | lsdiff | xargs -rn1 filterdiff patchfile -i To see all but the first hunk of a particular patch, you might use: filterdiff -p1 -i file.c -#2- foo-patch If you have a very specific list of hunks in a patch that you want to see, list them: filterdiff -#1,2,5-8,10,12,27- To see the lines of the files that would be patched as they will appear after the patch is applied, use: filterdiff --as-numbered-lines=after patch.file You can see the same context before the patch is applied with: filterdiff --as-numbered-lines=before patch.file Filterdiff can also be used to convert between unified and context format diffs: filterdiff -v --format=unified context.diff SEE ALSO
lsdiff(1), grepdiff(1) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>. patchutils 23 Aug 2002 FILTERDIFF(1)