Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding copies of files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding copies of files Post 302745533 by SkySmart on Monday 17th of December 2012 01:07:18 PM
Old 12-17-2012
Finding copies of files

theres a situation i'm dealing with where i feel like folks are stealing some of my files. they copy it (because they have complete sudo root access like i do) from my home directory and they copy it wherever and then change the name of the file so i wont know that they have it.

is there a way to find out if there are copies of my files? the only thing i can think of is egreping for a familiar string and searching through all files to see if they contain that string. but this takes a while to process. any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lp not printing multiple copies

I'm trying to print multiple copies of a file on sun solaris 8 with the lp -n command to no avail. No matter what numeric value I supply -n, I still only get 1 copy of the file printed. The command I'm using is 'lp -d SNY_IT5000-2 -n2 file' The printer is an HP Laserjet 4000 with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

printer spewing out endless copies

Hi I've set up a remote IP-addressed printer using lpadmin on a hp-ux server. It is - as far as I can tell - identical to another printer on the system of the same model type. The default printer works fine with the lp command; the new printer sends endless copies and the job has to be cancelled... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewans
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing Multiple Copies

Has anyone come accross and solved an issue where only 1 copy of a doc prints after you use the -n flag and specify more then 1. My exact syntax is lp -dprintername -n3 documentname enq command does same thing. Both commands show the 3 copies in the queue but only 1 ever prints I am using AIX... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: capeme
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple copies at once

Dear all, Today I spend almost all my day with something I hope any of you can help me with... I'm trying to write a small script (!/bin/sh) to be able to make 900 copies of one file. Can anyone help me with this? I couldn't figure this out (maybe I need to create some sort of loop) and couldn't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: marjocello
8 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Terminal.app keeps creating copies of my settings files

Under Leopard, I like to conveniently open Terminal windows onto remote systems. I've created several settings files in Terminal, one for each remote system that I want to access. To open window, I right-click on the Terminal icon in the Dock, expand the "New Window" menu item, and select the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siemsen
0 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Script that copies one file to/over another

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a script that asks for 4 arguments, and the 1st and 3rd need to be -i and -o, and the 2nd/4th need to be file names. Technically, it's supposed to be run as: ./Lab_14.sh -i input.txt -o output.txt Depending on how many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoVi3t
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make multiple copies?

At work I have to create multiple copies of a file all the time. Example: I have a file called Sec30p01.txt I need thirty of these, then I edit one line in each to make 30 different control files. So I end up with Sec30p02.txt, Sec30p03.txt and so on up to 30 Currently I copy the first file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: faaslave
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar creating copies of files

I am trying to archive directories based on their last modified date. When I tar and compress the directory it makes copies of whats inside, I don't know how to fix this. Here is my code. #!/bin/bash #AUTODRUNDISABLE VERSION="0.2" cd /desired/directory/to/archive find . -type d -newermt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies
efi_cp(1M)																efi_cp(1M)

NAME
efi_cp - copy to or from EFI file SYNOPSIS
devicefile] file1 file2 devicefile] file1 [file2]... dest-directory devicefile] file_or_dir1 [file_or_dir2]... dest-directory DESCRIPTION
copies files between HP-UX and EFI file systems. The EFI file system is based on the FAT file system and used by the Itanium-based system BIOS to locate an HP-UX bootloader. See efi(4). Without the option, copies from an HP-UX file system to the EFI volume specified by devicefile; in this case, the destination should be relative to the root of the EFI volume specified by devicefile. Use the option to copy from an EFI file system to an HP-UX file system; with the option, only a single regular file may be copied at a time. With two arguments: o If file2 does not exist, creates it and copies the contents of file1 into file2. o If file2 exists and is a regular file, deletes the the contents of file2 and copies the contents of file1 into file2. o If file2 exists and is a directory, creates a copy of file1 in that directory. With more than two arguments, the final argument must be an existing directory. If any of the other arguments is a directory, you must use the option, which specifies that the source directory and the subtree rooted there are to be copied to the destination directory. Options Options can be used singly or combined in any order before the file names. The space between option and argument is optional. devicefile is the device special file of the EFI file system to be copied. Without the option, uses the device file specified in the environment variable if it is defined. The option overrides the environment variable. Recursively copy the subtree rooted at each source directory to the destination directory. Copy file1 from an EFI volume to file2 in HP-UX file system. file1 should be relative to the root of the EFI volume specified by devicefile, not to an HP-UX file system. With the option, only a single regular file may be copied at a time. RETURN VALUE
returns exit code 0 if the copy is successful. Otherwise it prints a diagnostic message and returns nonzero. 0 Successful completion. >0 Error condition occurred. EXAMPLES
All the following examples copy to or from the EFI file system on device Copy into directory in the EFI file system on the specified device: Copy all files in current directory into directory in the EFI file system on the specified device Copy into directory in the EFI file system on the specified device and rename it Copy into the EFI boot directory of the EFI file system on the specified device: Copy into of the EFI file system on the device specified in the environment variable and rename it to Copy from the EFI file system on the specified device into the current HP-UX directory: Using a persistent device special file (dsf) copy from the EFI file system on the specified device into the current HP-UX directory (see intro(7)): AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
efi_fsinit(1M), efi_ls(1M), efi_mkdir(1M), efi_rm(1M), efi_rmdir(1M), efi(4), intro(7). Itanium(R)-based Systems Only efi_cp(1M)