Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking How to know local IP address in X-Terminal? Post 302745259 by RudiC on Monday 17th of December 2012 04:17:58 AM
Old 12-17-2012
We are talking localhost, not local IP. Localhost is 127.0.0.1. You can find your local IP with sth like ifconfig or ip addr, depending on the OS you use.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the IP address of my local unix box???

Hiya all, How do I get the IP address of my local unix box??? IPconfig - don't exist nslookup - only for other boxes.... I have my Fedora Server now on the office network. Can ping others, can get onto internet via web proxy.... Also: How do I create a Drive Share, so our windows... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy way to get local IP address

I needed to get a machine's local IP address when not root (so no ifconfig). Eventually, I arrived at this convoluted solution that grabs the unique local IP info from netstat... netstat -n -t | awk '{print $4}' | grep -o "*\.*\.*\.*" |\ grep -v "127.0.0.1" | sort -u ...however I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonb
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Get the terminal IP-ADDRESS

HI !!! I'm working under Windows-XP and Reflexion-X against a Unix HP-UX host. From a shellscript I need to open a new terminal window, I need the IP-ADDRESS for that. It is asked the user. It want to be able to obtain it automatically. WHO CAN I GET IT? THANKS. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josep55
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I know IP address of terminal?

Hi all, I am new in Unix world. I usually need to trace who connect to which terminal by IP address. So, could you please show me HOW TO RECOGNIZE which IP address connected to terminal? I use netstat by no luck. Thank you, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinhnguyen
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Local system IP address in UNIX

We have requirement to get the local system IP address of whoever logined the DataBase(sqlplus) or any process in application server. Actually I connected to application server thru putty and then conencted to Database using sqlplus command. we have tried below commands : who -u|grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_886
4 Replies

6. Programming

Redirecting Terminal to Local Application!

i wanted to execute some terminal commands on local linux, parse their output and display it to the user, i checked netcat source code but i couldnt understance it since im new to c (and linux at the same time). so i was wondering if there is away to run an instance of terminal hidden, read and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonhyM
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Local IP address using Sed, Awk

Hi All, how to get solaris box local ip addresss in variable, using sed or awk utlities. Thanks, Mani Muthu (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
7 Replies

8. BSD

Link Local IPv6 Address

Hi, Am using FreeBSD7.4/i386 During IPv6 configuration, I added the following in rc.conf as Restarted IPv6 network using /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 restart.. My problem is I need to set link local IPv6 address auto-configured.. Is my proceeding right?? I feel something missing to make... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
0 Replies

9. Debian

How to change local IP address?

I have a new Ethernet device that has a default IP address on a different subnet and need to change it. I have a Debian 6.0 host connected to the device with a crossover cable and have changed the host /etc/hosts and /etc/networks files to the same subnet as the new device and rebooted. Ping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
2 Replies

10. IP Networking

Can't get local IP address in getaddrinfo

Hi all, I am working with SIP protocol and am using SIPp to generate SIP traffic. But the call is not going through since I get the error; 2015-02-24 14:09:39:330 1424804979.330517: Can't get local IP address in getaddrinfo, local_host='NODE-01', local_ip=''. My ifconfig output is; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies
LO(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     LO(4)

NAME
lo -- software loopback network interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device loop DESCRIPTION
The loop interface is a software loopback mechanism which may be used for performance analysis, software testing, and/or local communication. As with other network interfaces, the loopback interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2). The loopback interface should be the last interface configured, as protocols may use the order of configuration as an indication of priority. The loopback should never be configured first unless no hard- ware interfaces exist. The loopback interface lo0 is created at boottime, it always exists and cannot be destroyed with ifconfig(8). Additional loopback interfaces can be created by using the ifconfig(8) create command. DIAGNOSTICS
lo%d: can't handle af%d . The interface was handed a message with addresses formatted in an unsuitable address family; the packet was dropped. SEE ALSO
inet(4), intro(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The lo device appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Previous versions of the system enabled the loopback interface automatically, using a nonstandard Internet address (127.1). Use of that address is now discouraged; a reserved host address for the local network should be used instead. BSD
September 3, 2006 BSD