Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Recursive file processing from a path and printing output in a file Post 302744551 by DGPickett on Friday 14th of December 2012 11:55:32 AM
Old 12-14-2012
Can we see the output?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Recursive file processing

I'm developing a generic script to catenate all files found in a given directory. The problem I've got is that the depth of the given directory is unknown, so I end up with some catenated directories. My unix isn't that hot and I'm at a loss. Heres an extract from the script cd $1 for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_mufasa
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing output into different files while processing file using AWK

Hi, I am trying to do the following using AWK program. 1. Read the input data file 2. Parse the record and see if it contains errors 3. If the record contains errors, then write it into Reject file, else, write into usual output file or display it on the screen Here is what I have done -... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyak
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

processing an input file and then the output file

Hi. I am new to scripting and could really do with some advice on the best way to put a script together. Here is the scenario I am working to; - i will get files via ftp to a tmp directory on the server - all files will have a unique file name but with the same extension (.USM) - for each... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yabai
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the output of a db2 query on to an unix file

I want to print the output of a db2 query, on to an unix file in a manner that the columns are separated by 'commas'. Please help me out..thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasan_ven
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Take output of processing in text file

Hi ALL, I am presently using perl script mukesh.pl I just want to catch its output into another text file . So I am using > File.txt . I am getting output but i want the whole processing of the script into that file please let me know . Thanks in advance Cheers Mukesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - Rename output file, after processing, same as input file

I have one input file ABC.txt and one output DEF.txt. After the ABC is processed and created output, I want to rename ABC.txt to ABC.orig and DEF to ABC.txt. Currently when I am doing this, it does not process the input file as it cannot read and write to the same file. How can I achieve this? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: High-T
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with printing output format from a file

Hi, I need help in printing data in below format from file extensions with .dml, i have listed details below file name is test_temp.dml, location in /home/users/test01/test_temp.dml file content: sample_type= record decimal(",") test_type; date("DD-MM-YYYY")(",") test_date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAHinka
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with printing advance output format from a file

Hi, below 'awk' code was given for my thread 'Help with printing output format from a file ' earlier, however script is not resulting expected output with below file content. cat test_tes123.dml record string("\001") emp_num; /* CHAR(11) NOT NULL*/ date("YYYYMMDD")... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AAHinka
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing Terminal Output to a Error File

I am having a bash script which is basically invoking a python program to validate the Source Query results against the target query results. I am placing all the queries in a .sql file. I want to write to a Error log file incase if the syntax is wrong or if the column is not present in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output path for file from search file

Hello Everyone, I am new to Unix and trying to learn as much as I can. But I do not need to create urgent scripts that I can use instantly. :(:( One of the scripts I am trying to write is essentially something that takes in a .txt file with product names. The product names are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UN007
3 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)