Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read pipe data
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read pipe data Post 302742679 by shubh05 on Tuesday 11th of December 2012 12:27:10 PM
Old 12-11-2012
Read pipe data

Hello,

I need to read the pipe data as:-

Code:
cat abc.txt | uuencode abc.txt | mailx -s hi xyz@xyz.com

I will override the mailx function so that when mailx is called, it calls my version of maix and in that function I want to read the file which is attached in progional mailx function- abc.txt

Once done, I can do whatever I want with this data...sending it to somebody else rather to intended receipient....

Is there any way to it?

Thanks

Last edited by Scott; 12-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read after pipe problem OSX10.4

I use read often in scripts to filter the right part into a variable like: $ print "abc cde efg" | read k l ; print "k=$k, l=$l" k=, l= This works on linux and unix versions I work with. On OSX 10.4 this doesn't work. I found a workaround but would like to know why the original line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: relyveld
5 Replies

2. Programming

Problem in read() from a pipe

Hi, Can any one please help me with this. Am struggling hard to get a solution. I am doing telnet through a C program and getting the stdout file descriptor of the remote machine to pipe. read() function is getting data, But whenl it receives SOH character ie. ^A ( Start of heading = Console... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JDS
2 Replies

3. Programming

pipe read and write with many forked children

I know how to read and write if i have a forked process with only one child. However what is involved with reading and writing with many forked processes. Say one parent that forks 5 children, and needs to communicate with all 5 in half duplex. int temp, counter=0; do{ pipe(temp); ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveneliuk
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX 5.3 - There is no process to read data written to a pipe

I have the following code which works on AIX 4.3 but fails at times on AIX 5.3 with: cat: 0652-054 cannot write to output. There is no process to read data written to a pipe. validator="${validator_exe} ${validator_parms}" cmd_line="${CAT} ${data_file} | ${validator}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigsgb
6 Replies

5. AIX

Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone, The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a pipe or die in perl

I have a perl program that I want to read from a file passed as an argument or from a pipe. If their is no pipe or arguments, I want it to output a help message. I am stuck on how to prevent perl from reading from the keyboard if it isn't fed any file names or data from a pipe. The only things I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No process to read data written to a pipe on AIX

We use SAP application cluster on AIX. Communication between 2 of its instances is failing randomly with the following error: java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written to a pipe. The above error causes a cluster restart if an important communication fails. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read pipe input issue

Hello, I have an ffmpeg bash script which is working nice and I need to do the same for other sources. To create new scripts and to deal with multiple bash files sounds not logical. It is a bit hard to manage for me.. I wondered if it was possible to make my input file as variable. Then I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: baris35
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX fifo concurrent read from a named pipe

I have created a fifo named pipe in solaris, which writes the content of a file, line by line, into pipe as below: $ mkfifo namepipe $ cat books.txt "how to write unix code" "how to write oracle code" $ cat books.txt >> namepipe & I have a readpipe.sh script which reads the named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen mani
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX Pipe -Exit when there are no bytes to read

Hi All, I'm creating a program which reads millions of bytes from the PIPE and do some processing. As the data is more, the idea is to read the pipe parallely. Sun Solaris 8 See the code below: #!/bin/sh MAXTHREAD=30 awk '{print $1}' metadata.csv > nvpipe & while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manii
3 Replies
uuencode(1)						      General Commands Manual						       uuencode(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode - Encodes or decodes a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [file] remotefile uudecode [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: uudecode: XCU5.0 uuencode: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The uuencode and uudecode commands are used to send a binary file via uucp or other mail. This combination can be used over indirect mail links even when uusend is not available. The uuencode command takes the named file (default standard input) and produces an encoded version on the standard output. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters, and includes the mode of the file and the name for re-creation on the remote system, specified by remotefile. The uudecode command reads an encoded file, strips off any leading and trailing lines added by mailers, and recreates the original file with the specified mode and name. Filter the encode through the uudecode program. Filtering the file causes the original file to be auto- matically recreated. This is possible on the uucp network by using sendmail or by making rmail be a link to mailx. In each case, an alias must be created in a master file to get the automatic invocation of uudecode. If neither of the preceding facilities is available on a user's system, uudecode can be applied to the file manually by editing the file with any text editor, removing the trailing and leading lines, and changing the mode or remote system name. The encoded file is an ordinary text file. EXAMPLES
In the following example, the ex1 file is encoded; the output is also redirected to the ex1.out file: prompt> uuencode ex1 ex1.en > ex1.out If the source ex1 file is as follows: This example shows how to encode a file using uuencode and how to decode a file using uudecode. The encoded ex1.out file would be as follows: begin 644 ex1.en M5&AI<R!E>&%M<&QE('-H;W=S"G1H92!H;W<@=&@96YC;V1E"F$@9FEL92!U M<VEN9PIU=65N8V]D90IA;F0@:&]W('1O"F1E8V]D92!A(&9I;&4*=7-I;F<@ *=75D96-O9&4N"F]D ` end In the following example, the ex1.out file is decoded: prompt> uudecode ex1.out In this example, the uudecode command decodes the file and puts the output in ex1.en. To package up a source tree using tar, com- press it, uuencode it, and mail it to a user on another system, enter: tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user1 (Enter the command entirely on one line, not on two lines as shown above.) When uudecode is run on the target system, the src_tree.tar.Z file is created; it may then be uncompressed and dearchived with tar. SEE ALSO
Commands: ct(1), cu(1), mailx(1), Mail(1), rmail(1), sendmail(8), tip(1), uucico(8), uucleanup(8), uucp(1), uulog(1), uuname(1), uupick(1), uusched(8), uusend(1), uustat(1), uuto(1), uux(1) Standards: standards(5) uuencode(1)