Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read and write in the file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read and write in the file Post 302742569 by cero on Tuesday 11th of December 2012 09:31:04 AM
Old 12-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamu
Is this what you want..?
To change original file with sed..

try

Code:
sed -i 's/0$/1/' file

The sed solution that ignores lines ending with 1 would look like this:
Code:
sed -e '/1$/d;s/0$/1/' /path/to/input >/path/to/output

PS: sed -i creates a tempfile somewhere...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to read and write to very same file

This is likely to be a dumb one. How can I use sed to substitute string occurances having it read from an input file and write to this very same file ? I have a file with lots of occurances of '2006', I want to change it to '2007', but I'd like these changes to be saved on the input file. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write from a file

I have tried to show the file name whose size is greater than 200 byte in current directory. Please help me. ls -l | tr -s " " " " | cut -f 5,9 -d " " >out.txt #set -a x `cat out.txt` i=0 `cat out.txt` | while do read x echo $x #re=200 j=0 if }" < "200" ] then echo $j j=`expr $j... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write/read to file descriptors

Is it possible to write to file descriptor 0 and read from 1 or 2? How could this be implemented? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machshev
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/write file with scripting

Is there any way to write to a text file with scripting? I need to write to a text file two lines of text for the amount of files in the current directory. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred Goldman
9 Replies

5. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and write to xml file

hi i am quite new to shell scripting and need help in reading and writing in xml file i have an xml file with format: <main> <store> <name>ABC</name> <flag>0</flag> <size>123<size> </store> <store> <name>DEF</name> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read / write file exemples

hello world, i was looking for exemples for writing ans reading in / from a file, more exactly a text file; and how i'm only at very beagining, if anyone have some exemples very simple, very 'classic' , -with explications- and not hard to undersand . i was wondering that some of you are theacher... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unumai
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Read and Write

I have got a file in following format: AAAAAAA BBBBBBBB CCCCCCC DDDDDDD I am trying to read this file and out put it in following format: AAAAAAA,BBBBBBB,CCCCCCC,DDDDDD Preferred method is shell or Perl. Any help appreciated. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Araoki
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl write and read on same file

Hi, I am trying to do a write operation followed by a read operation on the same file through Perl, expecting the output produced by read to contain the new lines added, as follows: #! /usr/bin/perl -w open FH, "+< testfile" or die "$@"; print FH "New content added\n"; while (my $line =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/write perl file

Hi I am trying to build a web form where it can take the input from the user and write it to a file. And when I will open that form again that for should read the file that was created at the 1st step and all the fields should auto populate from that file. I have 20 text fields in my form. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sauravrout
1 Replies
line(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           line(1)

NAME
line - read one line SYNOPSIS
line DESCRIPTION
The line utility copies one line (up to and including a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit status of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. EXIT STATUS
Exit status is: 0 Successful completion >0 End-of-file on input. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 line(1)