Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to subtract time stored in a variable Post 302742271 by Chubler_XL on Monday 10th of December 2012 09:30:51 PM
Old 12-10-2012
This can be simplified a bit by using the set internal:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
t1=${1:-11:48:30}
t2=${2:-13:13:48}
OIFS=$IFS
IFS=': '
set -- $t2 $t1
IFS=$OIFS
diff=$(($1*3600+$2*60+$3 - $4*3600-$5*60-$6))
[ $diff -lt 0 ] && diff=$((diff + 3600 * 24))
printf "%s is %d seconds after %s\n" $t2 $diff $t1

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract Time

Hello, Im writing a script using the ksh shell. I have 2 variables in the script: CURRTIME PREVTIME Example, if CURRTIME=13:00, I want to somehow calculate what the time was an hour ago so that PREVTIME=12:00 Right now I have the following: CURRTIME=`date +%H:%M` How can I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert value stored in a variable to epoch time?

Hello I have a the creation date of a file stored in a variable in the following format: Wed May 06 10:14:58 2009Is there a way I can echo the variable and display it in epoch time? I've done a lot of searching on this topic, but haven't managed to get a solution. I'm on Solaris 10. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtract minutes from time

i have the time 20100421043335 in format (date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S),and i want to be able to get the previous time 2 minutes ago,which is 20100421043135 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add/Subtract Time

need some help on the below requirement: File1: SV,22,20100501140000,JFK,RUH SV,29,20100501073000,BOM,RUH SV,29,20100501073000,SIN,RUH third filed is datetime which is of the format (yyyymmddhh24miss) File2 JFK,+,0500 BLR,-,0530 SIN,-,0800 for every line of file 1, take 4... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssantoshss
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to subtract time by 10 minutes in datecalc tool

Hi guys. I am trying to subtract 10 minutes from the current Unix system date and time. I have the datecalc provided here but it is mainly the date and not the time. Please check on how can i subtract 10 minutes from the current time using datecalc or any other shell scripting that will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bantiloe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the script running time and subtract from sleeptime

HI Guys, I want to find out the script running time and subtract from sleeptime. My Script Below Give me error :- #!/usr/bin/ksh timeout=100 start=$SECONDS sleep 20 end=$SECONDS echo "Time: $((end - start)) " ScTime = $((end - start)) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract two rows (in Time format)

Hello all, I have written sth like this: #!/bin/bash grep -e XXX -e YYYY myfile.log | grep -v ZZZ | awk '{print $1 " " $2 ";" $3 ";" $9 ";" $11}' > myfile.csv sed -i '1iDate;Time;From;To' myfile.csv => it is clear that it converts log to csv and add a header. Now I want to subtract row... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhling
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add or Subtract the hours,minutes or seconds in the the time variable

Hello All, I am working on script where I need to add hours,minutes or seconds in the time.Time is not the current but it could be future time.I thought I can store that time in variable and add hours.minutes or second but I am not able to add that in the time that is stores in a variable. Time... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date command - subtract from given time

the given time is: 12:13:00 how do i subtract a 10 minutes from any given time? date '12:13:00' '-10 min' also tried this: date +12:13:00 '-10 min' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract time in two line

INPUT: 16:45:51 10051 77845 16:45:51 10051 77845 16:46:52 10051 77846 16:46:53 10051 77846 Match the last PID then subtract second line time with first line. Please help me with any command or script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
3 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)