Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Needed! - Cut characters after a text string and append to end of filename Post 302742033 by cinderella1 on Monday 10th of December 2012 11:43:51 AM
Old 12-10-2012
Thanks for the quick response guys. I got these to work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

CUT command - cutting characters from end of string

Hello, I need to delete the final few characters from a parameter leaving just the first few. However, the characters which need to remain will not always be a string of the same length. For instance, the parameter will be passed as BN_HSBC_NTRS/hub_mth_ifce.sf. I only need the bit before the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JWilliams
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to remove nth characters from end of filename

Hi all, I have this basic script to remove, in this case 9 characters from the end of a file name. This is what I have so far, for file in *.mov do newname=`echo $file | sed 's/\(.*\)........./\1/' ` mv "$file" "$newname" done The problem is that it removes the file extension as well.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey Dean
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append characters to end of line

Coding in unix shell script. Hi All, Please help Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam12345
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut and append the text

I have a text like this ... i need append the text whihc is after 'csb' into the end of the line input ----- sdir;csp os_lib-0.5.24;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl sdir;csp oc_lib-0.10.4;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl output sdir;csp os_lib-0.5.24;bdir;cbpdob ---enable-useosstl... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with shell script to append to the end of a specific line in a file on multiple servers

Hi Folks, I was given a task to append three IP's at the end of a specific (and unique) line within a file on multiple servers. I was not able to do that with the help of a script. All I could was: for i in server1 server2 server3 server4 do ssh $i done I know 'sed' could be used to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to end of every line

I've scoured the internet with mixed results. As an amateur I turn to the great minds here. I have a text file of 80 or so lines. I want to add ".pdf" to the end of each line. (For now that's it) Most of the internet points toward using "sed". I don't know coding but can figure things out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacebase
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to filename

Hi, i wrote the script like... v_date=`date "+%Y%m%d"`; v_date1="rejects_"$v_date'.txt'; echo $v_date1; awk -F\| 'NF==4{ print $0>$v_date1;next} NF!=4 {print $0 >"murali.txt";next}' test1.txt while append data into file as coming like file is $v_date1,but i want data into file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append this string to end of each line

Platform: Solaris 10 I have a file like below $ cat languages.txt Spanish Norwegian English Persian German Portugese Chinese Korean Hindi Malayalam Bengali Italian Greek Arabic I want to append the string " is a great language" at end of each line in this file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to cut string from a filename

Hi, I need a script which do below I have a filename: TEST2013_09_17_XX_XX_XX.csv Now script should create a new file with name: XX_XX_XX.csv Or I should say i need the output as XX_XX_XX.csv Please help. Mant thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
3 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)