Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to restrict the length of the file name Post 302741739 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 9th of December 2012 11:03:23 PM
Old 12-10-2012
One really important point: you DO NOT want spaces in UNIX filenames. UNIX is not Windows, spaces in filenames are a problem for inexperienced or experienced shell programmers. Trailing spaces in an actual filename would horrible.

What are you trying to achieve , please tell us, but not how you want to do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict in file creation

Hi, how to restrict directories with one type of file creation. thanks and regards. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nk_bastia
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

4. Linux

restrict file download not upload

hi everybody, How cud i stop downloading files from FTP and allow uploading files in FTP. Thanks & reg, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: utpalsarkar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk script to compare 2 fields in fixed length file.

Need a script that manipulates a fixed length file that will compare 2 fields in that file and if they are equal write that line to a new file. i.e. If fields 87-93 = fields 119-125, then write the entire line to a new file. Do this for every line in the file. After we get only the fields... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Muga801
1 Replies

6. SCO

Restrict user from breaking out of login script

I have a login script similar to where the user's shell in /etc/passwd is set to csh: echo "In .login" setenv SHELL /bin/csh /bin/sh -c trap "" 1 2 3 5 6 7 8 15 /path/to/application logout --------------------- however, even with the trap command the user is still able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
1 Replies

7. Linux

Restrict User to only execute the file.

Hi Gurus , I hope you are doing great . Other than owner of the file , OTHERS and GROUP should be restricted from read or write a file created by the owner. OTHERS and GROUP should be only allowed to execute the file. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: palanisvr
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restrict the execution of same script if it is running already in nohup?

Hi, How can i restrict the execution of same script if it is running already in nohup Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fixed Length file from a SQL script

Hi, I have a DB2 UDB 9.7 SQL script, as follows: I need to pass the script into Unix and generate a fixed length file from this. Can someone kindly provide a script to achieve it? SELECT CAST(COALESCE(CL_ID,'000000000') AS CHAR(9)) AS CL_ID ,STATUS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ebsus
5 Replies
XPRINTF_EXEC(3) 					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					   XPRINTF_EXEC(3)

NAME
asxprintf_exec, dxprintf_exec, fxprintf_exec, sxprintf_exec, xprintf_exec, vasxprintf_exec, vdxprintf_exec, vfxprintf_exec, vsxprintf_exec, vxprintf_exec -- execute-only extensible printf execution SYNOPSIS
#include <printf.h> int asxprintf_exec(char ** restrict ret, printf_comp_t restrict pc, ...); int dxprintf_exec(int fd, printf_comp_t restrict pc, ...); int fxprintf_exec(FILE * restrict stream, printf_comp_t restrict pc, ...); int sxprintf_exec(char * restrict str, size_t size, printf_comp_t restrict pc, ...); int xprintf_exec(printf_comp_t restrict pc, ...); #include <stdarg.h> int vasxprintf_exec(char ** restrict ret, printf_comp_t restrict pc, va_list ap); int vdxprintf_exec(int fd, printf_comp_t restrict pc, va_list ap); int vfxprintf_exec(FILE * restrict stream, printf_comp_t restrict pc, va_list ap); int vsxprintf_exec(char * restrict str, size_t size, printf_comp_t restrict pc, va_list ap); int vxprintf_exec(printf_comp_t restrict pc, va_list ap); DESCRIPTION
These functions are execute-only, extensible printf (see xprintf(5)) variants, taking a printf_comp_t structure created by the format string compilation routine new_printf_comp(3). All these variants behave like their normal printf counterparts (see printf(3)) without 'x' and ``_exec'' in the name (except sxprintf_exec() and vsxprintf_exec() behave like snprintf() and vsnprintf(), respectively). SEE ALSO
printf(3), xprintf_comp(3), xprintf(5) Darwin Aug 19, 2012 Darwin