Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to print column by getting user input.? Post 302741525 by RudiC on Sunday 9th of December 2012 04:27:45 AM
Old 12-09-2012
Brilliant application of cut!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk+Grep Input file needs to match a column and print the entire line

I'm having problems since few days ago, and i'm not able to make it works with a simple awk+grep script (or other way to do this). For example, i have a input file1.txt: cat inputfile1.txt 218299910417 1172051195 1172070231 1172073514 1183135117 1183135118 1183135119 1281440202 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poliver
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print first few lines, then apply regex on a specific column to print results.

abc.dat tty cpu tin tout us sy wt id 0 0 7 3 19 71 extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 133.2 0.0 682.9 0.0 1.0 0.0 7.2 0 79 c1t0d0 0.2 180.4 0.1 5471.2 3.0 2.8 16.4 15.6 15 52 aaaaaa1-xx I want to skip first 5 line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing column of two different files and print the column from in order of 2nd file

Hi friends, My file is like: Second file is : I need to print the rows present in file one, but in order present in second file....I used while read gh;do awk ' $1=="' $gh'" {print >> FILENAME"output"} ' cat listoffirstfile done < secondfile but the output I am... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print user variable input

this may be basic thing for everyone here, but i cant push awk to print the variable user input which is INS, please help. code: INS=$1 printf '\n' symdg list | grep $INS-clone | awk -v i=$INS '{ID=substr($4,9,4)}{print "Device Group: "$1,"at Array "ID,i}' output: $ ./test.sh patty ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigy06
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Print New Column For Every Two Lines and Match On Multiple Column Values to print another column

Hi, My input files is like this axis1 0 1 10 axis2 0 1 5 axis1 1 2 -4 axis2 2 3 -3 axis1 3 4 5 axis2 3 4 -1 axis1 4 5 -6 axis2 4 5 1 Now, these are my following tasks 1. Print a first column for every two rows that has the same value followed by a string. 2. Match on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input and run awk using the input

I am trying to allow a user to enter in text and then store that text in a variable $gene to run in an awk command in which those values are used to run some calculations. I am getting syntax errors however, when I try. Thank you :). The awk runs great if it is a pre-defined file that is used,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input file needs to match a column and print the entire line

I have a file with class c IP addresses that I need to match to a column and print the matching lines of another file. I started playing with grep -if file01.out file02.out but I am stuck as to how to match it to a column and print the matching lines; cat file01.out 10.150.140... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search last column of INPUT.txt in TABLEs text and add correspond columns to INPUT.txt

Hi dears i use bash shell i have INPUT.txt like this number of columns different in one some row have 12 , some 11 columns see last column INPUT.txt CodeGender Age Grade Dialect Session Sentence Start End Length Phonemic Phonetic 63 M 27 BS/BA TEHRANI 3 4 298320 310050... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies
XCUTSEL(1)						      General Commands Manual							XCUTSEL(1)

NAME
xcutsel - interchange between cut buffer and selection SYNOPSIS
xcutsel [ -toolkitoption ...] [-selection selection] [-cutbuffer number] DESCRIPTION
The xcutsel program is used to copy the current selection into a cut buffer and to make a selection that contains the current contents of the cut buffer. It acts as a bridge between applications that don't support selections and those that do. By default, xcutsel will use the selection named PRIMARY and the cut buffer CUT_BUFFER0. Either or both of these can be overridden by com- mand line arguments or by resources. An xcutsel window has the following buttons: quit When this button is pressed, xcutsel exits. Any selections held by xcutsel are automatically released. copy PRIMARY to 0 When this button is pressed, xcutsel copies the current selection into the cut buffer. copy 0 to PRIMARY When this button is pressed, xcutsel converts the current contents of the cut buffer into the selection. The button labels reflect the selection and cutbuffer selected by command line options or through the resource database. When the ``copy 0 to PRIMARY'' button is activated, the button will remain inverted as long as xcutsel remains the owner of the selection. This serves to remind you which client owns the current selection. Note that the value of the selection remains constant; if the cutbuffer is changed, you must again activate the copy button to retrieve the new value when desired. OPTIONS
Xcutsel accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command line options as well as the following: -selection name This option specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY. The only supported abbreviations for this option are ``-select'', ``-sel'' and ``-s'', as the standard toolkit option ``-selectionTimeout'' has a similar name. -cutbuffer number This option specifies the cut buffer to use. The default is cut buffer 0. X DEFAULTS
This program accepts all of the standard X Toolkit resource names and classes as well as: selection (class Selection) This resource specifies the name of the selection to use. The default is PRIMARY. cutBuffer (class CutBuffer) This resource specifies the number of the cut buffer to use. The default is 0. WIDGET NAMES
The following instance names may be used when user configuration of the labels in them is desired: sel-cut (class Command) This is the ``copy SELECTION to BUFFER'' button. cut-sel (class Command) This is the ``copy BUFFER to SELECTION'' button. quit (class Command) This is the ``quit'' button. SEE ALSO
X(7x), xclipboard(1), xterm(1), text widget documentation, individual client documentation for how to make a selection. BUGS
There is no way to change the name of the selection or the number of the cut buffer while the program is running. AUTHOR
Ralph R. Swick, DEC/MIT Project Athena X Version 11 Release 6.6 XCUTSEL(1)