Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with expr command in shell script Post 302739793 by Vikram_Tanwar12 on Wednesday 5th of December 2012 01:35:24 AM
Old 12-05-2012
You can try any other date other than 1 with your code. It will work.

Code:
 echo $(date -d $(echo `expr 20000102 - 1`))
Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 PST 2000

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sed command in shell script.

Guys, I've a problem in the "sed" command used in my shellscripts This is the problamatic line in my shell script: sed -e 's/${line1}/${line1_m}/g' prod_hier_1234.txt > test.txt It doesn't do the job of replacing the string stored in variable 'line1' to 'line1_m'. However If I replace the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr problem

Hi, in my ksh script expr 22 / 10 results as 2 but the actual result expected in 2.2. how do i get that result. Please help Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr problem

Hi, in my ksh script expr 22 / 10 results as 2 but the actual result expected in 2.2. how do i get that result. Please help Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with expr command

:) hi Unix gurus, Pls consider the following piece of code str='hello' length=echo $str|wc -c echo $length y= ` expr \( 80 - $length \) ` echo $y :confused: The last echo stmt is displaying 0 as the result. If i put direct value like 6 instead of $length in i 3rd stmt it is giving... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with MV command in Shell Script

Hi Guru's, I 'm trying to execute the below given script in Unix. I am having an issue with the script. The output of the script is given below: #!/bin/bash File_Home="/home/essftp/Risk" cd /home/essftp/Risk rm -f FileList rm -f credit_risk* file1=`ls -lt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjith_taurean
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script problem , sudo mount command

cat test.sh sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda7 /media/Ddrive If i double click the test.sh file and select run in terminal then the terminal prompts for password. How can i avoid typing password? Or if i double click test.sh file and select run then nothing happens. What i'm trying "Double... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in exit status of the command in a shell script-FTP

Hi All, I have developed below script for FTP a file from unix machine to another machine. ftpToABC () { USER='xyz' PASSWD='abc' echo "open xx.yy.zbx.aaa user $USER $PASSWD binary echo "put $1 abc.txt" >> /home/tmp/ftp.$$ echo "quit" >> /home/tmp/ftp.$$ ftp -ivn <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem Executing Firmware Command using Shell Script

Guys, I have a script that should change one of the configuration Parameter in a http accelerator, this config change which will halt http traffic into device. So I have designed a script which should do these changes. But after executing this script, found that one of the input variable is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with expr command in script

Hi, I am trying to code a unix function to calculate date difference between two date variables. I am stuck at a point where I am trying to convert hours into minutes. Below is the code I am doing. function get_elapsed_time { export PROPS_FILE=temp.properties export... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nutan
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using cut command in shell script

I'm new to shell programming, and am having a problem in a (Korn) shell program, which boils down to this: The program reads a record from an input file and then uses a series of "cut" commands to break the record into parts and assign the parts to variables. There are no delimiters in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joroca
2 Replies
EXPR(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
expr arg ... DESCRIPTION
The arguments are taken as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument. The operators and keywords are listed below. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped. expr | expr yields the first expr if it is neither null nor `0', otherwise yields the second expr. expr & expr yields the first expr if neither expr is null or `0', otherwise yields `0'. expr relop expr where relop is one of < <= = != >= >, yields `1' if the indicated comparison is true, `0' if false. The comparison is numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic. expr + expr expr - expr addition or subtraction of the arguments. expr * expr expr / expr expr % expr multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments. expr : expr The matching operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1). The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the first argument. Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched (`0' on failure). ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. Examples: To add 1 to the Shell variable a: a=`expr $a + 1` To find the filename part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a, which may or may not contain `/': expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a Note the quoted Shell metacharacters. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sh(1), test(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Expr returns the following exit codes: 0 if the expression is neither null nor `0', 1 if the expression is null or `0', 2 for invalid expressions. EXPR(1)