Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [SOLVED] Problem in wait statement Post 302737521 by Vikram_Tanwar12 on Thursday 29th of November 2012 06:42:54 AM
Old 11-29-2012
[SOLVED] Problem in wait statement

Iam having a script which is used to load users and dumpfile in any given schema.Iam trying to autolog the script and have added two fucntion in it.
Code:
function init_stdout_redirect {
    OUT_LOG=$1
    OUT_PIPE=$(mktemp -u)
    # Create the output pipe
    mkfifo $OUT_PIPE
    # Save stdout and stderr as 3 and 4
    exec 3>&1 4>&2
    # Tee the output pipe into the log file
    tee -a $OUT_LOG < $OUT_PIPE >&3 &
    # Save tee's pid
    TEE_PID=$!
    # Redirect the output to the pipe
    exec > $OUT_PIPE 2>&1
}
###########################################################################
# restore_stdout
#
# Restore standard output
###########################################################################
function restore_stdout {
    exec 1>&3 3>&- 2>&4 4>&-
    wait $TEE_PID
    rm -f $OUT_PIPE
}

I have added these two function in the main script.The main script is having two wait command in it.As soon i run the script after adding and calling these two function the script is getting hanged after encoutering the first wait statement of main script.

When i try to check where it is getting stuck i found the process id and saw that it get stuck on process tee -a log file name..Iam not sure why it is getting stuck as it should come out of it. Could someone please help me on it.

Last edited by Scott; 11-29-2012 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I/O wait Problem

When running top, I notice a bit more I/O wait time than usual. Is there a tool or piece of software out there that can me help evaluate the performance of these operations on my machine? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unavb
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait problem

Hello, I have been trying to figure out why the wait isnt waiting for the sleep process to complete till now and have found out that since sleep runs as different process and not a child process the wait isnt waiting. script: cat test|while read i do echo $i sleep 30 & done wait ps... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

plz, i wait your help, AWK problem

I have tracefile of three nodes (0 , 1 and 2 ) as follows: + 0.02 0 1 tcp 40 ------- 1 0.0 2.0 0 0 - 0.02 0 1 tcp 40 ------- 1 0.0 2.0 0 0 + 0.02 2 1 tcp 40 ------- 2 2.1 0.1 0 1 - 0.02 2 1 tcp 40 ------- 2 2.1 0.1 0 1 r 0.025032 0 1 tcp 40 ------- 1 0.0 2.0 0 0 + 0.025032 1 2 tcp 40 -------... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASAADAOUI
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Strange Problem in case statement while shift

Hi, Here is my code as below: test.ksh: ======= #!/bin/ksh option="${1}" while do case $1 in -f) FILE="${2}" echo "File name is $FILE" ;; -d) DIR="${2}" echo "Dir name is $DIR" ;; -*) echo "`basename ${0}`:usage: | " (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaq1xsw2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] 0403-057 Syntax error for if statement

I am getting the following error when I am running a script in ksh when trying to execute an if statement comparing two numerical values tstmb.sh: 1.5321e+08: 0403-057 Syntax error Below is my code snippet. #!/bin/ksh set -x TODAY=$(date +%y%m%d) for file in $(ls -rt *.log | tail... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran1112
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] FOR loop / IF statement returning error

The code at the bottom is a simplified example of what we have. If I use the following: && echo "echo failed" $? returns 1 When I use if ; then echo "echo failed" ; fi $? returns 0 Does anyone know what's wrong with this? Using AIX 6.1 and KSH for NUM in 1 2 3 do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfxdavies
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] While read line and if statement not working

I'm looking for some help in figuring why my little bit of code will not process any entries other then the first one in my list. while read line ;do hostname=${line//\"} a=`ssh user@$hostname uptime;echo $?` if ];then dt=`date` touch... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] If statement in bash

I have the following code in bash, however "set red frmt" is not displayed. echo "iarg_rd = $iarg_rd" iarg_rd="2" if ; then echo "Hello World" fi if ; then frmt="${gap}${!frmt_titl_yl}" elif ; then frmt="${gap}${!frmt_titl_bk}" elif ; then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help with shell Script ,wait for some files for some time??

Hi All, I have the requirement that ,i have to write a shell script that job has to wait for a 7 touch files created by another application for 4 hours, if i get all 7 touch files ,i have to send a mail that i jobs are completed, if if it is waiting for more than 4 hours i have to send a mail... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep Shetty
2 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Plink wait problem

Hi, I have run into a problem to which i can't seem to find any solution, posting here is my last resort. Problem: I am using plink to access my router and run a few configuration commands. When in enter configurations mode, instead of sending next command plink keeps on waiting for manual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaainabbas
7 Replies
TEE(2)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TEE(2)

NAME
tee - duplicating pipe content SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> ssize_t tee(int fd_in, int fd_out, size_t len, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
tee() duplicates up to len bytes of data from the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_in to the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_out. It does not consume the data that is duplicated from fd_in; therefore, that data can be copied by a subsequent splice(2). flags is a series of modifier flags, which share the name space with splice(2) and vmsplice(2): SPLICE_F_MOVE Currently has no effect for tee(); see splice(2). SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK Do not block on I/O; see splice(2) for further details. SPLICE_F_MORE Currently has no effect for tee(), but may be implemented in the future; see splice(2). SPLICE_F_GIFT Unused for tee(); see vmsplice(2). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, tee() returns the number of bytes that were duplicated between the input and output. A return value of 0 means that there was no data to transfer, and it would not make sense to block, because there are no writers connected to the write end of the pipe referred to by fd_in. On error, tee() returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL fd_in or fd_out does not refer to a pipe; or fd_in and fd_out refer to the same pipe. ENOMEM Out of memory. VERSIONS
The tee() system call first appeared in Linux 2.6.17. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. NOTES
Conceptually, tee() copies the data between the two pipes. In reality no real data copying takes place though: under the covers, tee() assigns data in the output by merely grabbing a reference to the input. EXAMPLE
The following example implements a basic tee(1) program using the tee() system call. #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <limits.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int fd; int len, slen; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <file> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } fd = open(argv[1], O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, 0644); if (fd == -1) { perror("open"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } do { /* * tee stdin to stdout. */ len = tee(STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, INT_MAX, SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK); if (len < 0) { if (errno == EAGAIN) continue; perror("tee"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } else if (len == 0) break; /* * Consume stdin by splicing it to a file. */ while (len > 0) { slen = splice(STDIN_FILENO, NULL, fd, NULL, len, SPLICE_F_MOVE); if (slen < 0) { perror("splice"); break; } len -= slen; } } while (1); close(fd); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
splice(2), vmsplice(2), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-09-15 TEE(2)