Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse output path to set variable Post 302737263 by es760 on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 03:27:42 PM
Old 11-28-2012
Parse output path to set variable

I am looking to parse a text file output and set variables based on what is cropped from the parsing.

Below is my script I am looking to add this feature too.
All it does is scan a certain area of users directories for anyone using up more than X amount of disk space. It then writes to the output file and emails the output file when done to a number of people that is defined in the script.
I want it to also email the username found in the output file.
Below the script is a sample output of what is emailed.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
_dufile="/tmp/testing-results.log"
MAILTO=myname@mydomain.com

rm -rf /tmp/testing-results.log

du -m -s /home/project_A/users/* | perl -ne '@l = split();print "@l\n" if $l[0]>=1960' > /tmp/testing-results.log

if [ -s "$_dufile" ]
then
        echo "$_dufile has found user with over allowed data amount, emailing "
        cat /tmp/testing-results.log | mailx -s " Testing user exceeded 2GB limit Quota Notification" $MAILTO
else
        echo "$_dufile is empty."
fi

--------------------------
output file data in /tmp/testing-results.log :
Code:
39292 /home/project_A/users/jdoe
49200 /home/project_A/users/bsmith
89019 /home/project_A/users/rguy

Basically, I need to read the output of /tmp/testing-results seen above, and crop out everything except the username "jdoe" and "bsmith" and "rguy" and set each one to a variable. Then just plugging in those variables to my mailx list with a domain name added.

This will then send the output to myname@mydomain, and also the output sent to each person/user "jdoe" "bsmith" ect...

I'm sure there are a million ways of doing this and would highly appreciate any suggestions of the read and parse of my output file /tmp/testing-results

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Scott; 11-29-2012 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Path variable in c shell

I set my path environment variable in c shell, using the syntax below setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin" and placed this in $HOME/.login $HOME/.cshrc and /etc/.login /etc/.cshrc but when I issued echo $PATH or set command the output does not reflect changes made to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set?

Hi, How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set? I want to add "/opt/SUNWspro/bin" to the search path for all the users. Where can I access this variable. I know in my home directory, depend on which shell I use, there are files such as .profile and .cshrc which I can edit to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable PATH

Hi, i know that this topic discussed for many times but although i had researched them i couldnt succeed in my problem. i am following a step-by-step instruction guide and must do the following: ------------- To ensure access, set the path PATH $ORACLE_HOME/perl/bin:$PATH and set the Perl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merope
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to set path for the EDITOR variable?

For some reason something has changing in my AIX environment where when I type: ACLEDIT filename ...I get: 3002-104 acledit: EDITOR environment variable must be full pathname I know I need to reset the EDITOR variables path to /usr/bin/vi but I can't remember the syntax anyone? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH variable set incorrectly?

I've noted that in order to use commands like ifconfig, I have to prefix the commands with the directory. /etc/profile shows that the paths should be part of the PATH environment variable; any idea where the bug is? :confused: # /etc/profile # System wide environment and startup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jon80
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set my PATH variable

Hello All, Hope you can understand my problem from the below code. $ cat ~/.profile PS1=`whoami`@`hostname`':$PWD $ ' export PATH="$PATH:.:/logarchive/utility/util:/usr/sbin:" $ echo $PATH /usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:.:/usr/sbin: $ echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users when they login using ssh?

Hello friends, I need to set PATH variable for all HP-UX users. I tried to implement it using /etc/profile and /etc/sshrc both none of them work. I don't see sshrc file anywhere. Please advise! TIA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set variable to path that does not exist on local host

Can anyone suggest a workaround zone_5.org='/qaz/qwe/path/tns.osn' output /home/bingo/XXX_script.sh: line 180: zone_5.org=/qaz/qwe/path/tns.osn: no parent The path does not exist on the local machine, the allocation used to work till the server was upgraded. Red Hat Enterprise Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - variable to be set to windows path issue

Greetings Experts, I need to pass a parameter to ksh and the value is windows path eg: sh abc.txt C:\Users\chill3chee\Desktop No matter I try with \ delimiter, still could not get this exact value assigned to the shell variable which was checked with echo. Tried with using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a file and set path in variable?

Hi Folks - I was wondering if you could help convert batch code in Linux? For instance, I use the following piece of code in DOS to find a file/executable, and then the FULL path as a variable. ::-- If startMaxl.exe exists, set full path --:: for %%D in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
4 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD