Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot open txt file in UNIX using cat utility Post 302736809 by Subhasis on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 02:26:20 AM
Old 11-28-2012
Cannot open txt file in UNIX using cat utility

Hi,

I am not being able to open txt files with 'cat'. One thing to mention is, the filenames start with #. I guess one can have a unix filename that starts with a special/wildcard character. I have filenames starting with @ [like @filename] and they are opening perfectly with cat.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep/cat/more -- search in a txt file and display content from a specific "keyword"

Hi, I have a .txt file Sample: ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 ip access-list extended BLA_Incoming_Filter ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx access-list 2 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =====================... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAt utility in java

Hello friends, could you please advice me of how to traslate this program written in C to java? #include <cstdio> main( ){ char c; c = getchar( ); while (c != EOF) { putchar(c); c = getchar( ); } } I am supposed to test the difference in time between compiling the C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentaboha87
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix / Linux Dialog Utility - how to open 2+ more dialog windows ?

Hi, example of Unix / Linux dialog utility is below. I am going to use dialog as simple GUI for testing of a modem. So I need to combine some dialog boxes into one. I need to have input box, output box, info box, dialog box, radiobox as in any standard program with graphical user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat vs head vs readline get variable from txt file

I have a file with a single filename in it, which I want to assign to a BASH variable, so I've been trying: c=$(head -1 somefile) echo $c which outputs correctly, but them when I do ... somecommand $c it says it can't find the file, is that because it's grabbing the whole line, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on cat filelist.txt |xargs -n1 find

I am trying to find all the files listed in a filelist.txt. Why cant I use something like this cat filelist.txt | xargs -n1 find $path (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file hashing utility in unix

I am looking for a utility that does file hashing in unix. ...Please let me know of any good easy to use utility (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat can not open file

Hi All, I have stumbled upon very unique issue. In my script I am doing cat file and then greping and cutting so as to assign the value to variable. My file is, <mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh> DB_USER=test_oper hostname=xxx FTP_USER=test1_operate MAIL_LIST=xxx@yyy.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragd
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window, vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
3 Replies
AMARCHIVER(8)						  System Administration Commands					     AMARCHIVER(8)

NAME
amarchiver - Create, extract or list amanda archive SYNOPSIS
amarchiver --version|--create|--extract|--list [--verbose] [--file file] [filename]... DESCRIPTION
Amarchiver manipulates amanda archive file. On creation, amarchiver doesn't recurse into directories. If a filename specifies a directory, it will be ignored. If it specifies a character device, amarchiver reads the device and archives the data. If a filename specifies a named pipe, amarchiver reads the named pipe and archives the data. Note that this tool is more limited than the Amanda archive library, and may not be appropriate for some archive files -- particularly those which use non-strings in their filenames. OPTIONS
--version print the amarchiver version --create Create an amanda archive. Only the supplied filenames are included. With one --verbose, lists the filenames. With two, lists the filenames and sizes. --list List the filenames in an amanda archive. No additional filenames are allowed on the command line. --extract Extract an amanda archive. If filenames are supplied, only those files are extracted. Files are created in the current directory, suffixed with a dot ('.') and the attribute ID. --verbose Give more information. --file file Create, list or extract from the given file instead of stdin/stdout. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda-archive-format(5) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 AMARCHIVER(8)