Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot open txt file in UNIX using cat utility Post 302736809 by Subhasis on Wednesday 28th of November 2012 02:26:20 AM
Old 11-28-2012
Cannot open txt file in UNIX using cat utility

Hi,

I am not being able to open txt files with 'cat'. One thing to mention is, the filenames start with #. I guess one can have a unix filename that starts with a special/wildcard character. I have filenames starting with @ [like @filename] and they are opening perfectly with cat.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep/cat/more -- search in a txt file and display content from a specific "keyword"

Hi, I have a .txt file Sample: ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 ip access-list extended BLA_Incoming_Filter ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx access-list 2 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =====================... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CAt utility in java

Hello friends, could you please advice me of how to traslate this program written in C to java? #include <cstdio> main( ){ char c; c = getchar( ); while (c != EOF) { putchar(c); c = getchar( ); } } I am supposed to test the difference in time between compiling the C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentaboha87
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix / Linux Dialog Utility - how to open 2+ more dialog windows ?

Hi, example of Unix / Linux dialog utility is below. I am going to use dialog as simple GUI for testing of a modem. So I need to combine some dialog boxes into one. I need to have input box, output box, info box, dialog box, radiobox as in any standard program with graphical user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat vs head vs readline get variable from txt file

I have a file with a single filename in it, which I want to assign to a BASH variable, so I've been trying: c=$(head -1 somefile) echo $c which outputs correctly, but them when I do ... somecommand $c it says it can't find the file, is that because it's grabbing the whole line, and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on cat filelist.txt |xargs -n1 find

I am trying to find all the files listed in a filelist.txt. Why cant I use something like this cat filelist.txt | xargs -n1 find $path (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file hashing utility in unix

I am looking for a utility that does file hashing in unix. ...Please let me know of any good easy to use utility (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbjoat
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat can not open file

Hi All, I have stumbled upon very unique issue. In my script I am doing cat file and then greping and cutting so as to assign the value to variable. My file is, <mxc_tl_load_extractdata_prop.bsh> DB_USER=test_oper hostname=xxx FTP_USER=test1_operate MAIL_LIST=xxx@yyy.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paragd
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vim help.txt automatically open every time I open vi

Hi Friends, Every I try to open a vi window, vim help.txt automatically opens evertime. After doing ZZ or :q! also the same page opens automatically. How to stop this? Is it machine specific ? Other users who are opening the same servers and files are not facing this issue. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudiptabhaskar
3 Replies
flow-cat(1)						      General Commands Manual						       flow-cat(1)

NAME
flow-cat -- Concatenate flow files SYNOPSIS
flow-cat [-aghmp] [-b big|little] [-C comment] [-d debug_level] [-o filename] [-t start_time] [-T start_time] [-z z_level] [file|directory ...] DESCRIPTION
The flow-cat utility processes files and/or directories of files in the flow-tools format. The resulting concatenated data set is written to the standard output or file specified by -o. If file is a single dash (`-') or absent, flow-cat will read from the standard input. OPTIONS
-a Do not ignore filenames that begin with tmp. -b big|little Byte order of output. -C Comment Add a comment. -d debug_level Enable debugging. -g Sort file list by capture start time before processing. -h Display help. -m Disable the use of mmap(). -p Preload headers. Use to preserve meta information such as lost flows. -o file Write to file instead of the standard out. -t start_time Select flow files up to start_time. If used with -T select files between start_time and end_time. -T end_time Select flow files after end_time. If used with -t select files between start_time and end_time. -z z_level Configure compression level to z_level. 0 is disabled (no compression), 9 is highest compression. file|directory... Process the files and/or directory. TIME
/DATE parsing start_time and end_time parsing is implemented with getdate.y, a commonly used function to process free-form time date specifications. Example usage borrowed from cvs: 1 month ago 2 hours ago 400000 seconds ago last year last Monday yesterday a fortnight ago 3/31/92 10:00:07 PST January 23, 1987 10:05pm 22:00 GMT EXAMPLES
Concatenate all flow files begining with ft-v05.2001-05.01, use flow-print to display the results. flow-cat ft-v05.2001-05-01.* | flow-print Concatenate flow files in /flows/krc4, store store the output in compressed.flows at compression level 9 (best). The headers are preloaded so various metadata such as the flow count is correct in the result. Filenames begining with tmp which are typically in-progress flow files from flow-capture are not processed. flow-cat -p -z9 /flows/krc4 > compressed.flows BUGS
None known. AUTHOR
Mark Fullmer maf@splintered.net SEE ALSO
flow-tools(1) flow-cat(1)