Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed print all lines between second and third identical lines Post 302736725 by godfreydanials on Tuesday 27th of November 2012 10:27:26 PM
Old 11-27-2012
Thanks again; much appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace 2 identical strings on different lines

I am looking to replace two or more strings on different lines using sed, but not with the same variable. IE # cat xxx.file <abc> abc def ghi abc def ghi abc def ghi currently I can only change each line with the same pattern: # sed -e '/<abc>/!s/abc\(.*\)/jkl mno/' xxx.file abc jkl mno... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore identical lines

Hello Experts, I have two files called "old" and "new". My old file contains 10 lines and my new file contains 10 + "n" lines. The first field in both these files contain ID. I sort these two files on ID. I am interested in only the lines that are in the new file and not in old. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed syntax to print lines that do not end with )}

I must admit I am relativly new to sed, and I am trying to make a simple sed query to search log files and return multiple variables from multiple logs. So far I have had success, but one problem remains: Alot of lines in the log files wrap onto multiple lines and are not being returned as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demanche
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file-print lines in sed

Hello! Im trying to read file contents. Then, print out every line that has "/bens/here" in the file that was read. cat /my/file.now | sed '/bens/here/p' I keep getting the error asking if I need to predeclare sed? What does predeclaring sed mean? Thanks! Ben (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

5. Solaris

sed command to print lines after expression

Hi guys. I need a sed command to print like 10 lines after a regular expression is found in the log. Can anyone help me out. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:34 AM ---------- never mind. I just did the search bewteen two expressions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

more than 10 identical lines

I have a file that looks like this 10 user1s, 5 user2s and 10 users3. 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.1 user1 10.10.1.2 user2 10.10.1.2 user2 10.10.1.2 user2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to print first n lines and last n lines of an output.

Use sed to print first n lines and last n lines of an output. For example: n=10 Can it be done? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to delete identical lines while leaving one undeleted?

Hi, I have a file as follows. file1 Hello Hi His Hi Hi Hungry hi so I want to delete identical lines while leaving one of them undeleted. So desired output will be Hello Hi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - If field value of consecutive records are the identical print portion of lines

I have some data that looks like this: PXD= ZW< 1,6 QR> QRJ== 1,2(5) QR> QRJ== 4,1(2) QR> QRJ== 4,2 QRB= QRB 4,2 QWM QWM 6,2 R<C ZW< 11,2 R<H= R<J= 6,1 R>H XZJ= 1,2(2) R>H XZJ= 2,6(2) R>H XZJ= 4,1(2) R>H XZJ= 6,2 RDP RDP 1,2 What I would like to do is if fields $1 and $2 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
EXIGREP(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   EXIGREP(8)

NAME
EXIGREP - Search Exim's main log SYNOPSIS
exigrep [-l] pattern [log file] ... DESCRIPTION
The exigrep utility is a Perl script that searches one or more main log files for entries that match a given pattern. When it finds a match, it extracts all the log entries for the relevant message, not just those that match the pattern. Thus, exigrep can extract complete log entries for a given message, or all mail for a given user, or for a given host, for example. The -l flag means 'literal', that is, treat all characters in the pattern as standing for themselves. Otherwise the pattern must be a Perl regular expression. The pattern match is case-insensitive. If no file names are given on the command line, the standard input is read. If the location of a zcat command is known from the definition of ZCAT_COMMAND in Local/Makefile, exigrep automatically passes any file whose name ends in COMPRESS_SUFFIX through zcat as it searches it. BUGS
This manual page needs a major re-work. If somebody knows better groff than us and has more experience in writing manual pages, any patches would be greatly appreciated. SEE ALSO
exim(8), perlre(1), /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/ AUTHOR
This manual page was stitched together from spec.txt by Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). March 26, 2003 EXIGREP(8)