Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Nc won't send udp broadcast!? Post 302736709 by anotherstevest on Tuesday 27th of November 2012 11:01:58 PM
Old 11-28-2012
Interestingly enough, the -b option is only listed in the man page for some versions, but not others, of nc. I'm running both ubuntu and archlinux and have a different version on each (both are openBSD netcat though). I've tried -b on both and neither works. In the case where it's not listed in the man page, I get the expected "usage:..." response. In the one where it is listed in the man page I get "nc: Protocol not available". Both cases have been run from root...

I have not tried either the "traditional" netcat or the GNU netcat yet. I would be nice if someone out there actually knew if it worked and on what...

Or if someone could suggest a better way to do it...

---------- Post updated at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:42 PM ----------

never got nc to work and found many messages on the web regarding others who also couldn't get it to work. However, the following (from itsaunixsystem.com/unix/?p=5) does work as expected:
Code:
echo -n "message\r\n" | socat - udp-datagram:192.168.0.255:5100,broadcast

Last edited by anotherstevest; 11-27-2012 at 08:14 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

broadcast

Can anybody hellp me troubleshoot this error. Using HP-Uxix B.10.X " *****ARPA/9000 NETWORKING***** Mon Jun 30 SAT 2003 20:18:12.xxxxxxx DISASTER Subsys: NS_LS_PROBE LOC:01001 Network NS_LS_PROBE DISASTER 1001, pid arp: ether address is broadcast for IP address zzzzzzz! " where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SEB
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is my UDP send/recieve buffer size

Hi, If some one was to suggest, "increase your kernal tunables related to UDP, in particular the UDP send/recieve buffer size".... then what would they mean? :confused: How can I find out what this current value is? Thousand many thanks. Neil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
3 Replies

3. Programming

UDP socket - can both client and server recv and send

Hi, Am very new to socket programming. When we use UDP sockets to communicate between two processess, will both the client/server socket be able to send/recv ? meaning can sendto()/ recvfrom() be used on both server and client? It could be useful even if anybody provide some link on socket... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send something via UDP and intercept at other end?

I am looking to do a shell script that can send something simple via UDP from server 1 - to server 2 I want to be able to see on server 2 that I received everything expected.. ie.. I am looking at this to avoid using ping / traceroute to highlight network issues.. if a UDP packet gets lost... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

5. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Why UDP broadcast don't run?

I use FreeBSD7.0, I want to use UDP broadcast,my code is following: /*udpcli01.c*/ int main(int argc, char **argv) { int sockfd; struct sockaddr_in servaddr; if (argc != 2) err_quit("usage: udpcli <IPaddress>"); bzero(&servaddr, sizeof(servaddr)); servaddr.sin_family = AF_INET;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

[help] how to send wall/broadcast message to all clients

Hi, as per title, please help me.. I use command wall host1 host2 hellowwwww but it only receive in the host1.. how can I send this to all the clients.. I want this 1 server to send to all the clients.. or is there any program that I can use? I know this openfire, but seems complicated since... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
5 Replies

8. IP Networking

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
0 Replies

9. Programming

how to do udp broadcast with multithreading

hello to all i want to use multithreading to my UDP broadcast server client program. will anyone help me by proving C code. i am working in fedora. also my requirement is POSIX compliance.please help me..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moti12
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies
FINDSMB(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)