Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat After installing redhat, my laptop boot straight to Windows 7 Post 302735227 by wingcross on Friday 23rd of November 2012 10:27:59 PM
Old 11-23-2012
hi there,
hmm, the strange part is during the installation, there is one screen it ask where i want to put the bootloader, the default option was /dev/sda but i change it and put it under /dev/sda3.

I think the grub is there, but not sure how do i get to it.
usually when installing in a dual environment, what is the best practice ? it is to put the bootloader in the /dev/sda or the /dev/sdx where the linux / is ?

thank you

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot Redhat with Windows 2k or XP

I know this is a common question, but.... I am working on 2 seperate computers. Each machine has one hdd. I want to Install Redhat with Win2k on one machine, and Redhat with Xp on the other. I know there are some issues with the install sequence to get Grub to work with both, but I am a little... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
4 Replies

2. SuSE

Having a prob. installing SUSE Linux on a laptop

Hi Everyone Im just wondering if anyone knows why when you install SUSE Linux 8.0 on a NEC Versa Laptop that KDE does not fill the entire window. There is a peripheral setup that I played with both the display settings and changing the display adapter, but nothing seems to fix the problem.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spiral
4 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

HELP--Redhat on WinXP laptop PROBLEM!!

Hi guys! Need some help here.....trying to install Redhat 8.0 on a laptop that is already running WinXP. Have made a partition with partition magic but when I try to install Linux it just stops at the check partition/ check hard-drive stage. It has happened on two different laptops of different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: syrex
4 Replies

4. Tips and Tutorials

Octave --- My octuple boot laptop

As I promised in several threads, here are some notes on how I installed several Operating Systems on my laptap. I will give links to the tools that I obtained from various third parties. And I will include the source code for a few scripts that I wrote. Introduction A few months ago the disk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
3 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   GRUB-INSTALL(1)

NAME
grub-install -- Install GRUB on a device. SYNOPSIS
grub-install [--modules=MODULES] [--install-modules=MODULES] [--themes=THEMES] [--fonts=FONTS] [--locales=LOCALES] [--compress[=no,xz,gz,lzo]] [-d | --directory=DIR] [--grub-mkimage=FILE] [--boot-directory=DIR] [--target=TARGET] [--grub-setup=FILE] [--grub-mkrelpath=FILE] [--grub-probe=FILE] [--allow-floppy] [--recheck] [--force] [--force-file-id] [--disk-module=MODULE] [--no-nvram] [--removable] [--bootloader-id=ID] [--efi-directory=DIR] INSTALL_DEVICE DESCRIPTION
grub-install installs GRUB onto a device. This includes copying GRUB images into the target directory (generally /boot/grub), and on some platforms may also include installing GRUB onto a boot sector. OPTIONS
--modules=MODULES Pre-load modules specified by MODULES. --install-modules=MODULES Install only MODULES and their dependencies. The default is to install all available modules. --themes=THEMES Install THEMES. The default is to install the starfield theme, if available. --fonts=FONTS Install FONTS. The default is to install the unicode font. --locales=LOCALES Install only locales listed in LOCALES. The default is to install all available locales. --compress=no,xz,gz,lzo Compress GRUB files using the specified compression algorithm. --directory=DIR Use images and modules in DIR. --grub-mkimage=FILE Use FILE as grub-mkimage. The default is /usr/bin/grub-mkimage. --boot-directory=DIR Use DIR as the boot directory. The default is /boot. GRUB will put its files in a subdirectory of this directory named grub. --target=TARGET Install GRUB for TARGET platform. The default is the platform grub-install is running on. --grub-setup=FILE Use FILE as grub-setup. The default is /usr/bin/grub-setup. --grub-mkrelpath=FILE Use FILE as grub-mkrelpath. The default is /usr/bin/grub-mkrelpath. --grub-probe=FILE Use FILE as grub-probe. The default is /usr/bin/grub-mkrelpath. --allow-floppy Make the device also bootable as a floppy. This option is the default for /dev/fdX devices. Some BIOSes will not boot images cre- ated with this option. --recheck Delete any existing device map and create a new one if necessary. --force Install even if problems are detected. --force-file-id Use identifier file even if UUID is available. --disk-module=MODULE Use MODULE for disk access. This allows you to manually specify either biosdisk or native disk access. This option is only avail- able on the BIOS target platform. --no-nvram Do not update the boot-device NVRAM variable. This option is only available on IEEE1275 target platforms. --removable Treat the target device as if it is removeable. This option is only available on the EFI target platform. --bootloader-id=ID Use ID as the bootloader ID. This opption is only available on the EFI target platform. --efi-directory=DIR Use DIR as the EFI System Partition root. This opption is only available on the EFI ta rget platform. INSTALL_DEVICE Install GRUB to the block device INSTALL_DEVICE. SEE ALSO
info grub Wed Feb 26 2014 GRUB-INSTALL(1)