Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ps aux + grep + nice + while
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ps aux + grep + nice + while Post 302734979 by vbe on Friday 23rd of November 2012 08:02:30 AM
Old 11-23-2012
IMHO It is not a good idea... For you may end with backups never completing...
With time passing all processes loose importance ( automatically the privileges are lowered ) after a well quite some time if your backup is still running, its new privilege will avoid the backup to complete itself... I already saw that on 2 sites so far... ( without anybody noticing... I happened to be called for an issue on a weekend and when tried to restore, I looked at 70 tapes...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Very Nice

Just a quick message to say great work to Neo and any others who have helped with the upgrade - the layout, appearance and functionality of this forum ROCKS. By far the best I have seen. Excellent! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS -aux and PS

I am new to the Unix. Can someone tell me what is the difference between 'PS' command and 'PS -aux"? Isn't 'PS' mean the current running process? Isn't 'PS -aux' mean the current running process too? If they are the same, how come 'PS -aux' always has a lot more listing than 'PS'? Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2715mt
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ps aux|grep getty

what is the aim of this command: ps aux|grep getty (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

4. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to get the list of file with size in AUX

to get the list of file name with size Example: rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562KB Nov 6 19:22 a rwxrwxrwx 1 cm x 562MB Nov 6 19:22 a edit by bakunin: Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
5 Replies

6. AIX

Difference between ps -ef and ps aux

Hi, Can someone tell me what the difference is between ps -ef and ps aux. I was under the assumption that both commands would list ALL processes currently running on the system. But on my server I find the following: # ps -ef | wc -l 519 # ps aux | wc -l 571 What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petervg
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a column from ps -aux command

Hi, I have the following output : root 9296 81.7 0.2 1115328 20856 ? Sl 14:38 1:00 /opt/h264rtptranscoder.bin --videoPort=14500 --audioPort=14501 --serverPort=14500 --framesPerSecond=50 --profilesPath=/opt/transcodingProfiles I would like to have the following output : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
6 Replies

8. AIX

Run ps aux continuously in AIX

Requirement is to monitor cpu usage /process for a user given time and record the output. topas,topasout,topasrec,tprof not seems to be working for me. so what i am looking for is to run below command continously till the time limit given by the user who runs the script.since below command is a one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get PID Number from “ps aux --sort -rss ”

Hi everyone How can I just get the PID of the following command: ps aux --sort -rss Thanks Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymuser
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the exact process using ps aux command?

Please do not post a technical question in the @How to contact....' forum. I have moved this for you. Hello Everyone, Please help me on this, Requirement here is to check whether the process is running using the process id. For the below scenario, I m trying to grep 1750 process id to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari A
3 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) VGCFGRESTORE(8)