Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line Post 302733705 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 21st of November 2012 01:08:37 AM
Old 11-21-2012
Code:
awk -F, 'BEGIN {len="5,6,7,8";split(len,arr,",");}{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(length($i)>arr[i])next}}1' input.csv

Code:

$ cat input.csv
this123,is,test,message
this,is,test,message
this,is,test,message
this,is,test,message123

Code:

$awk -F, 'BEGIN {len="5,6,7,8";split(len,arr,",");}{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(length($i)>arr[i])next}}1' input.csv
this,is,test,message
this,is,test,message

5,6,7,8 is the length to check the 1,2,3,4 fileds

if you want to check only for some particular fields, then

Code:

$awk -F, 'BEGIN {len="5,0,0,8";split(len,arr,",");}{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if( arr[i]!=0 && length($i)>arr[i])next}}1'  input.csv
this,is,test,message
this,is,test,message

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

include NULLs in line length check

Hello, I am checking the length of each line of a fixed length file and making sure all lines are 161 length. My problem is that some files contain null characters which gets stripped out of my echo. How do I have the NULLs included in my check? (and I cannot replace or sub the NULL values with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironmix
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a variable length text to a fixed length

Hi, Can anyone help with a effective solution ? I need to change a variable length text field (between 1 - 18 characters) to a fixed length text of 18 characters with the unused portion, at the end, filled with spaces. The text field is actually field 10 of a .csv file however I could cut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Length Reports as Having Length when it is Empty?

Hello All, I have this script that does stuff like "starting, stopping & restarting" a Daemon Process running on my machine... My main question is why in part of my code (which you will see below) does the Array Length (i.e. ${#PIDS} ) return "1" when I know the Array is empty..? Here is... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
TRUNCATE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						       TRUNCATE(2)

NAME
ftruncate, truncate -- truncate or extend a file to a specified length SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int ftruncate(int fildes, off_t length); int truncate(const char *path, off_t length); DESCRIPTION
ftruncate() and truncate() cause the file named by path, or referenced by fildes, to be truncated (or extended) to length bytes in size. If the file size exceeds length, any extra data is discarded. If the file size is smaller than length, the file is extended and filled with zeros to the indicated length. The ftruncate() form requires the file to be open for writing. Note: ftruncate() and truncate() do not modify the current file offset for any open file descriptions associated with the file. RETURN VALUES
A value of 0 is returned if the call succeeds. If the call fails a -1 is returned, and the global variable errno specifies the error. ERRORS
The ftruncate() system call will fail if: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid descriptor open for writing. [EFBIG] The file is a regular file and length is greater than the offset maximum established in the open file description associ- ated with fildes. [EINVAL] fildes references a socket, not a file. [EINVAL] fildes is not open for writing. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. The truncate() system call will fail if: [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [EACCES] The named file is not writable by the user. [EFAULT] Path points outside the process's allocated address space. [EISDIR] The named file is a directory. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links are encountered in translating the pathname. This is taken to be indicative of a looping symbolic link. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeds {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeds {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [ETXTBSY] The file is a pure procedure (shared text) file that is being executed. The ftruncate() and truncate() system calls will fail if: [EFBIG] The length argument was greater than the maximum file size. [EINTR] A signal is caught during execution. [EINVAL] The length argument is less than 0. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to a file system. SEE ALSO
open(2) BUGS
These calls should be generalized to allow ranges of bytes in a file to be discarded. Use of truncate() to extend a file is not portable. HISTORY
The truncate() and ftruncate() function calls appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution