Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk Script to parse a XML tag Post 302733183 by agama on Monday 19th of November 2012 11:25:18 PM
Old 11-20-2012
Ah, very good, thanks.

Have a go with this:
Code:
 awk '
    /property name=/ {
        gsub( ".*value=" Q, "" );
        gsub( Q ".*", "" );
        print;
    }
' Q="'" RS="[<>]"

Embedding single quotes inside of an awk programme contained inside of single quotes is tricky. Several ways of dealing with it; I think this is the easiest. It assigns the single quote to Q, and then appends it to the strings in the substitution commands where needed.
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching XML tag in a script

Hey, I need to parse the following XML to just grab the Customer ID. Is there any RegEx that can achieve this ? So in this example, the script just return 0000109654, as the output. Even if it involves awk, sed please let me know. ************ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhandari
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (not Perl) to parse xml with awk

Hi, I have to make an script according to these: - I have couples of files like: xxxxxxxxxxxxx.csv xxxxxxxxxxxxx_desc.xml - every xml file has diferent fields, but keeps this format: ........ <defaultName>2011-02-25T16:43:43.582Z</defaultName> ........... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pluff
2 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Trying to parse a xml file for only one tag

I have a xml file in where I need to parse only a particular tag and print the output in the shell script. Here is the tag info in the xml file <dp:file> This is dp file output </dp:file> Output should be printed as This is dp file output. Please help.Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to insert a tag in XML

Hi All, I need a help on inserting a XML tag. Actual input <var> <nam>abcd</nam> <a1>.</a1> </var> if tag <a1>.</a1> is getting missed in XML like below <var> <nam>abcd</nam> </var> i need to insert wherever it is missed after <nam> tag and before </var> tag. Could anyone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell command need to parse multiple nested tag value of a XML file

I have this XML file - <gp> <mms>1110012</mms> <tg>988</tg> <mm>LongTime</mm> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Desti = Motion</lkid> <kk>12</kk> </lv> <lv> <lkid>StartEle=ONE, Source = Velocity</lkid> <kk>2</kk> </lv> <lv> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedASolution
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML Parse between to tag with upper tag

Hi Guys Here is my Input : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xn:MeContext id="01736"> <xn:VsDataContainer id="01736"> <xn:attributes> <xn:vsDataType>vsDataMeContext</xn:vsDataType> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search for a particular tag in xml and collate all similar tag values and display them count

I want to basically do the below thing. Suppose there is a tag called object1. I want to display an output for all similar tag values under heading of Object 1 and the count of the xmls. Please help File: <xml><object1>house</object1><object2>child</object2>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML files with spaces in the tag name, parse & display?

Greetings all, I have an XML file that is being generated from my application, here is a sample of the first tag (That I am trying to remove and display in a list..) Example- <tag one= "data" data="1234" updateTime="1300"> <tag one= "data1" data="1234" updateTime="1300"> <tag... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving XML tag/contents after specific XML tag within same file

Hi Forum. I have an XML file with the following requirement to move the <AdditionalAccountHolders> tag and its content right after the <accountHolderName> tag within the same file but I'm not sure how to accomplish this through a Unix script. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiline html tag parse shell script

Hello, I want to parse the contents of a multiline html tag ex: <html> <body> <p>some other text</p> <div> <p class="margin-bottom-0"> text1 <br> text2 <br> <br> text3 </p> </div> </body> (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SorcRR
15 Replies
UNIFDEF(1)						      General Commands Manual							UNIFDEF(1)

NAME
unifdef - remove ifdef'ed lines SYNOPSIS
unifdef [ -t -l -c -Dsym -Usym -idsym -iusym ] ... [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Unifdef is useful for removing ifdef'ed lines from a file while otherwise leaving the file alone. Unifdef is like a stripped-down C pre- processor: it is smart enough to deal with the nested ifdefs, comments, single and double quotes of C syntax so that it can do its job, but it doesn't do any including or interpretation of macros. Neither does it strip out comments, though it recognizes and ignores them. You specify which symbols you want defined -Dsym or undefined -Usym and the lines inside those ifdefs will be copied to the output or removed as appropriate. The ifdef, ifndef, else, and endif lines associated with sym will also be removed. Ifdefs involving symbols you don't specify are untouched and copied out along with their associated ifdef, else, and endif lines. If an ifdef X occurs nested inside another ifdef X, then the inside ifdef is treated as if it were an unrecognized symbol. If the same symbol appears in more than one argument, only the first occurrence is significant. The -l option causes unifdef to replace removed lines with blank lines instead of deleting them. If you use ifdefs to delimit non-C lines, such as comments or code which is under construction, then you must tell unifdef which symbols are used for that purpose so that it won't try to parse for quotes and comments in those ifdef'ed lines. You specify that you want the lines inside certain ifdefs to be ignored but copied out with -idsym and -iusym similar to -Dsym and -Usym above. If you want to use unifdef for plain text (not C code), use the -t option. This makes unifdef refrain from attempting to recognize com- ments and single and double quotes. Unifdef copies its output to stdout and will take its input from stdin if no file argument is given. If the -c argument is specified, then the operation of unifdef is complemented, i.e. the lines that would have been removed or blanked are retained and vice versa. SEE ALSO
diff(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Premature EOF, inappropriate else or endif. Exit status is 0 if output is exact copy of input, 1 if not, 2 if trouble. BUGS
Does not know how to deal with cpp consructs such as #if defined(X) || defined(Y) AUTHOR
Dave Yost 4.3 Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 UNIFDEF(1)