Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I would like to have some exercises to develop my skills Post 302732905 by vbe on Monday 19th of November 2012 10:38:17 AM
Old 11-19-2012
Replying to the posts in this forum would be a good start...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exercises in shell

Hi, I am a beginner at shell scripting, though I have several years of Oracle programming experience. Can anyone recommend a site where I can find some exercises on shell programming. Is there anywhere I can telnet as I dont have UNIX OS on my PC? Thanks Rohit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitv
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shall Scripts exercises

I have just 3 things that I really need to know the solution, please allow me to show it. any help would be nice script that backup a file. The file name to backup should be provided as input parameter, the backup file should have the same file name with the extension ".bak". If the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anything
1 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Suggestions on furthering my skills?

I am fairly 'green' when it comes to UNIX and programming in general. I am going into the start of my second year of my BS in Software Systems Engineering. My first year was pretty slow and simple with basic math, english composition and a few java, databse, and entry level 'psuedo code'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoxly
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need ideas for practice exercises in sh

I did an assignment for sh scripting back in november, and I found it quite fun learning. I would like to retain this knowledge as I'm pretty sure it was my only scripting assignment, from now on in my programming course we won't be doing any scripting apart from the typical makefile scripts. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gcampton
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Text stream K&R exercises

Hello, ladies, gentlemen. First I suppose I should introduce myself. I've been poking at C since a long time ago, somewhere around 1990. (Don't misinterpret that. "Poking at C", in this statement, means that I jumped on it, studied it for anything from a day to a weekend to a finished "Hello,... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jammer Six
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I focus efforts on learning Perl or develop skills in awk, sed, etc

Good afternoon, I am not trying to start a debate. Please don't take it that way. I'm not trying to make this a Perl versus Bash scripts thing. I have been writing shell scripts for several years. I am not 100%, but I seem to get the job done. I would like to start focusing on spending... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
11 Replies

8. AIX

How do you keep your AIX skills up to date?

I am very curious to find out how AIX admins keep up to date and refreshed with all of the options and features of AIX without having access to a test environment? Usually going on a course requires practice otherwise the knowledge gained can get lost very quickly. How do you practice for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colin_Fearnley
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with a question in one of my exercises

Hello, so I'm taking unix in one of my classes and I've been having fun, but I got stuck at this one question that I'm supposed to know how to answer but I can't wrap my head around it, I figured I'll post it here and see if someone can shed some light into what I'm doing wrong. Here's the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiwolf25
1 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)