Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Couple of questions wth grep/sort Post 302732605 by sudon't on Sunday 18th of November 2012 04:36:53 PM
Old 11-18-2012
diff

You could also use diff in this case:

Code:
$ diff ~/Desktop/HIS200.txt ~/Desktop/ART250.txt 
0a1
> Jones, Susan JR ART
6c7
< Mantle, Mick SR HIST
---
> Johnson, Bob SR SOC
9d9
< Wells, Wesley JR SOC

This will return the names that only appear in one file. The "greater than" and "lesser than" symbols indicate which file the names appear in, with '<' indicating the first file, (HIS200.txt in this case).

Last edited by sudon't; 11-18-2012 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: a little more info

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Attn! A couple quick questions about Linux [Help]

Hi guys!! I was wondering if you can help me with a couple quick questions in order for me to understand it better... Any help would be appreciated and i would like to say thanks!! In advanced... Ok here goes... (I think these are pretty basic, but i just want to clarify) 1. What would be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kyoist
2 Replies

2. Debian

A couple of grub questions.

1) After I install a new kernel in Debian Sarge, it updates my menu.lst file for grub, but incorrectly. It assumes it should boot from partition hd0,0, but this is incorrect. How do I change this faulty assumption? 2) If grub fails to find a kernel, grub allows me to enter a path to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akbar
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Couple of questions.

Right now I am a Microfocus COBOL programmer, working on a HP-UX system. I want to now get Certified as a HP Certified Systems Administrator. I ordered a book from amazon and will start with it. I also will be working at my job with someone who applies the patches and things as we do NOT have a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie21
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

Couple of quick IP Routing questions

Hi 1) Is the MIB II table that can be accessed through the function m2IpRouteTblEntryGet() the same as the IP Routing table that the IP layer uses to do its routing work? 2) Is there a set of API functions, other than m2IpRouteTblEntryGet(), that are available to access entries in the IP Routing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nzeidat
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Couple logadm questions

My logadm.conf is below. Is there a way to match a log file that appends the time/date stamp after the log file? Also, a 0 is being appended onto the files I'm compressing and having rotated. Is there a way to fix that? /var/apache/tomcat55/logs/catalina.out -C 30 -P 'Fri Jun 18 16:48:55... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of newbie Unix questions

I entered a command at the prompt and it's interactive (not background). It gathers some stats and writes them to a file. I want to see this job running and what it's doing - I/O especially and maybe CPU and stuff. What can do to see this (say using a second session?) I know it's a long job but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep couple of consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

Hello, I want to extract from a file like : 20120530025502914 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025502968 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502985 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502996 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503013 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503045 | RESPONSE | whatever I want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Couple of easy questions for experts on awk/sed

Hello Experts.. I have 3-4 C codes with Oracle SQL statements embedded. All the SQL statements starts with EXEC SQL keyword and ends with ;. I want to extract all the SQL statements out of these codes. I did awk '/^EXEC SQL/,/\;/' inputFile (I use this on all of the codes individually). That... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
2 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

awk questions using sort and grep

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: So i'll probably get told off for this but I have a few problems and rather than clog up the whole forum I'll post them here. Please bare in mind I am a complete novice when it comes to all this and so if you help please treat me like a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamesb18
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)