Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Meta charcters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Meta charcters Post 302732167 by Phaneendra G on Friday 16th of November 2012 06:49:51 PM
Old 11-16-2012
Meta charcters

Find out lines in a given file consisting of the following pattern BCAA, BCAAA, BCAAAA, BCAAAAA, BCAAAAAA

Last edited by Scott; 11-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Homework. Closed.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Handling Special Charcters

Dear All, I have created a UTF-8 database to store multi-lingual charcters. Below is the query from which i insert from Winsql (front-end third party database browser tool), the data gets inserted properly. insert into a (no, lbl) values (1, "Cliquez ici pour revenir Ã_ la recherche de... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloydnwo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remove charcters

How do i remove single quotes(') from a file. Can we use sed for it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Line Longer Than 2048 Charcters

I have a csv file with a record size of greater than 2048.So when i try to open the file in VI..This is the error i get (test.csv" A line cannot be longer than 2048 characters) Is there a way i can change this parameter to read a bigger line (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
2 Replies

4. Solaris

What is Meta Database ?

Hi Guys, what is a meta file system ? what is it use for? What is /etc/vfstab? What is the relationship between the "vfstab file and meta file system. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlee
1 Replies

5. Solaris

What is Meta Database ?

Hi Guys, what is a meta file system ? what is it use for? What is /etc/vfstab? What is the relationship between the "vfstab file and meta file system. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in linux, file holding special charcters

Hi I'd like to cat, in linux, a file that holds special charcters, like "-->" and ">" and "]" For example I have a file named test123.txt it looks like this: 2008-09-11 00:27:01,496 - < 0 > --> Start calculation of pattern , Pattern was split to pattern graphs < 0 > System Tqls Optimizer... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: liav
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitution when special charcters involved

I am trying to substitute a substring in a file and am having difficulty due to the presence of 'special characters' I tried sed -e "s/Bob's birthday 13/11/08 (today)/Bob's birthday 14/11/08 (tomorrow)/" file1 This does not action any change due to the square brackets. How can I cater... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SAMZ
5 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Meta charcters

find out lines in a given file consisting of the following pattern BCAA, BCAAA, BCAAAA, BCAAAAA, BCAAAAAA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phaneendra G
1 Replies
PREG_MATCH(3)								 1							     PREG_MATCH(3)

preg_match - Perform a regular expression match

SYNOPSIS
int preg_match (string $pattern, string $subject, [array &$matches], [int $flags], [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Searches $subject for a match to the regular expression given in $pattern. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for, as a string. o $subject - The input string. o $matches - If $matches is provided, then it is filled with the results of search. $matches[0] will contain the text that matched the full pattern, $matches[1] will have the text that matched the first captured parenthesized subpattern, and so on. o $flags -$flags can be the following flag: o PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE - If this flag is passed, for every occurring match the appendant string offset will also be returned. Note that this changes the value of $matches into an array where every element is an array consisting of the matched string at offset 0 and its string offset into $subject at offset 1. o $offset - Normally, the search starts from the beginning of the subject string. The optional parameter $offset can be used to specify the alternate place from which to start the search (in bytes). Note Using $offset is not equivalent to passing substr($subject, $offset) to preg_match(3) in place of the subject string, because $pattern can contain assertions such as ^, $ or (?<=x). Compare: <?php $subject = "abcdef"; $pattern = '/^def/'; preg_match($pattern, $subject, $matches, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE, 3); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( ) while this example <?php $subject = "abcdef"; $pattern = '/^def/'; preg_match($pattern, substr($subject,3), $matches, PREG_OFFSET_CAPTURE); print_r($matches); ?> will produce Array ( [0] => Array ( [0] => def [1] => 0 ) ) RETURN VALUES
preg_match(3) returns 1 if the $pattern matches given $subject, 0 if it does not, or FALSE if an error occurred. Warning This function may return Boolean FALSE, but may also return a non-Boolean value which evaluates to FALSE. Please read the section on Booleans for more information. Use the === operator for testing the return value of this function. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.6 | | | | | | | Returns FALSE if $offset is higher than $subject | | | length. | | | | | 5.2.2 | | | | | | | Named subpatterns now accept the syntax | | | (?<name>) and (?'name') as well as (?P<name>). | | | Previous versions accepted only (?P<name>). | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Find the string of text "php" <?php // The "i" after the pattern delimiter indicates a case-insensitive search if (preg_match("/php/i", "PHP is the web scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } ?> Example #2 Find the word "web" <?php /* The  in the pattern indicates a word boundary, so only the distinct * word "web" is matched, and not a word partial like "webbing" or "cobweb" */ if (preg_match("/web/i", "PHP is the web scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } if (preg_match("/web/i", "PHP is the website scripting language of choice.")) { echo "A match was found."; } else { echo "A match was not found."; } ?> Example #3 Getting the domain name out of a URL <?php // get host name from URL preg_match('@^(?:http://)?([^/]+)@i', "http://www.php.net/index.html", $matches); $host = $matches[1]; // get last two segments of host name preg_match('/[^.]+.[^.]+$/', $host, $matches); echo "domain name is: {$matches[0]} "; ?> The above example will output: domain name is: php.net Example #4 Using named subpattern <?php $str = 'foobar: 2008'; preg_match('/(?P<name>w+): (?P<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); /* This also works in PHP 5.2.2 (PCRE 7.0) and later, however * the above form is recommended for backwards compatibility */ // preg_match('/(?<name>w+): (?<digit>d+)/', $str, $matches); print_r($matches); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => foobar: 2008 [name] => foobar [1] => foobar [digit] => 2008 [2] => 2008 ) NOTES
Tip Do not use preg_match(3) if you only want to check if one string is contained in another string. Use strpos(3) or strstr(3) instead as they will be faster. SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_match_all(3), preg_replace(3), preg_split(3), preg_last_error(3). PHP Documentation Group PREG_MATCH(3)