Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep from a certain point in output Post 302732073 by bombcan on Friday 16th of November 2012 01:59:35 PM
Old 11-16-2012
Grep from a certain point in output

Hi

I execute a command and would like for it start from a certain line and not right at the beginning.

Basically starting like from 10 lines down.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Fibre connection Point to Point SUN

Anyone know of a guide or instructions for Solaris I got to configure a SBUS HBA to talk to a tape robot. I have done this on a switch but not point to point. just going HBA >>>>> TAPE Fibre simple two nodes Kie (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kie
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

output of grep

hi, why the following is giving entire /etc/passwd file as output even when it does not contain ^ or $ . grep ' ' /etc/passwd whereas the following is not giving any output grep ' ^$ ' /etc/passwd (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

GREP with contain output

How can I perform a grep and it will give me a contain word (maintenance) instead of a string or the whole line of info. grep with exclusive output? or is there a CONTAIN with IF statement ? I have a file call yast2_vhost.conf and it contain multiple entries call maintenance.html... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoom@hostwebase
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep output

From below mentioned line,i have to display output as last word only ie:arch_1_105366_720809746.dbf -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 98887680 02 Mar 12:01 arch_1_105366_720809746.dbf Please .. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanal
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep output

hi i am running grep -c on a bunch of files some of which may be non existent. The output i get is in the same order as the files grep checks and this is what i want as i need to copy the output to a spreadsheet. However when i tried to pipe the output to sed to strip away the filenames and just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform a hexdump using dd from start point to end point?

hi, I would like to ask or is it possible to dump a hex using dd from starting point to end point just like the "xxd -s 512 -l 512 <bin file>" I know the redirect hexdump -C but i can't figure it out the combination options of dd. Hope someone can share their knowledge.. Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep the desired output and output to a file?

currently I have process from a raw file to this stage ALTER TABLE "EXCEL_ADMIN"."TC_TXN_VOID" ADD CONSTRAINT "PK_TC_TXN_VOID" PRIMARY KEY ("TC_TXN_IID") ALTER TABLE "EXCEL_ADMIN"."TC_TXN_AMT" ADD CONSTRAINT "PK_TC_TXN_AMT" PRIMARY KEY ("TC_TXN_AMT_IID") ALTER TABLE... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to have the output in grep?

Hi guys - I am trying to have a certain file display information horizontally divided by a pipe. for example file name: foo.dat has information like this: name1 name2 name3 namenamename4 namene5 I would like it to display like this: name1|name2|name3|namenamename4|namene5 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep output

Hi. I have a command line that will generate exif data from .jpg files... So to get the Camera Model I use: find -iname "*.jpg" -print0 | xargs -0 exiftool -a | grep "Camera Model" But I want the file name AND the camera model... How to I get the grep to give me TWO bits of information from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuftyDave
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point? IN AIX

How to create a new mount point with 600GB and add 350 GBexisting mount point Best if there step that i can follow or execute before i mount or add diskspace IN AIX Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thilagarajan
2 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)