Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Copying disk - dd or lucreate? Post 302732005 by alister on Friday 16th of November 2012 10:58:07 AM
Old 11-16-2012
Disclaimer: I know very little about Solaris and had never heard of lucreate until now. What follows is just a (probably unnecessary) observation regarding dd:

Running dd on a storage device that may be written to can yield an image that never existed.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 11-16-2012 at 12:05 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying oracle tables from raw disk

I have been tasked with archiving Oracle tables. The data is on raw devices, and possibly will span multiple logical volumes. Has anyone ever had to do this? How did you accomplish it? Any references to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isenhart
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files unto a usb pendrive/external disk from Solaris 9

Hi all, Can anybody help me with how I can connect a usb pendrive or external disk to a Sun Server which runs on Solaris 9? I am able to connect the usb drive to a windows server easily and copy files but am wondering if it is possible to do that with Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
3 Replies

3. Solaris

failure in lucreate

Earlier live upgrade from solaris 8 to solaris 10 5/08 was not permitted . Later by document 250526 dated Feb 2009 , it permitted and fllowing s8p7zip.tar and following solution 206844 . While installing SUNWluu,SUNWlur,SUNWlucfg , I had a partial failure . But pkginfo shows the information... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitesh Shah
5 Replies

4. Solaris

lucreate error

Hello, On solaris 10, trying to run lucreate as below, lucreate -c Solaris10 -n Solaris10_lu -m /:/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0:ufs -m -:/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s1:swap -m /export/home:/dev/dsk/c0t2dufs7 but it's resulting in an error as below, Discovering physical storage devices Discovering logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Listing/copying files from magnetic optical disk

I am trying to list the name of files on an MOD - I use the command tar vtf /MOD_DRIVE|more and I get a nice list of filenames/directories on this particular MOD. When I put in another MOD that contains software options I get the error "directory checksum error". I would like to be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew_holm
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Need help with MOD Disk copying

Hello, we are running Irix 6.5 on our octane/sgi computers - these computers come with an external Sony MOD drive attached via a scsi cable. We have backed info to 2.3 gig MOD disks over the years and woule like to duplicate the MOD's. I believe there are 3 ways to do this: add a second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drew_holm
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun Live Upgrade - lucreate fails

Hi, I currently have one BE and would like to create an ABE. # lustatus BE_name Complete Active ActiveOnReboot CopyStatus ------------------------------------------------------------------------ coolthreads yes yes yes - But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarousi
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Lucreate Fails to Create Boot Environment;

My OS solarius 5.10 Generic_147148-2 i86 Error: please review new boots environments using options 1. Solution - show me the commands Partition is full, try to remove some unneeded files, then try to compress some other unneeded files. man command creates a temp file under... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
0 Replies
MIC-LIVECD-ISO-TO-DISK(1)				      General Commands Manual					 MIC-LIVECD-ISO-TO-DISK(1)

NAME
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk - Convert a livecd image to a live USB image then write to a USB disk or partition SYNOPSIS
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk [--reset-mbr] [--noverify] [--overlay-size-mb <size>] [--home-size-mb <size>] [--unencrypted-home] <isopath> [usbstick device] <isopath> is your livecd image path name, [usbstick device] is optional, if not provided, it will detect automatically and ask you to select. DESCRIPTION
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk can convert a livecd image to a live USB image and write it to a USB disk or partition, it is different from mic- image-writer which is just a safer dd with progress bar. mic-livecd-iso-to-disk can detect all the removable USB disks and let you select one of them, if you didn't insert any USB disk, it will ask you to insert until a USB disk is available, it can decide if your USB disk need to be formated and if your USB disk has an appropriate partition for this livecd image, all the operations are interactive and have warnings f they will damage your old data on your USB disk. mic-image-manager has a GUI tool for it. OPTIONS
--reset-mbr Set MBR on your USB disk --noverify Don't verify your livecd image --overlay-size-mb Specify overlay size, the default size is 64 MB --home-size-mb Specify home size, the default is 0 EXAMPLES
Write a Molib live image to your USB disk: mic-livecd-iso-to-disk your-2.1-final.img EXIT STATUS
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk returns a zero exist status if it succeeds, otherwise return non-zero and print error message. AUTHOR
Yi Yang, Anas Nashif, Jianfeng Ding SEE ALSO
mic-image-creator(1), mic-convertor(1), mic-chroot(1), mic-image-writer(1), mic-image-manager(1) perl v5.12.3 2011-05-31 MIC-LIVECD-ISO-TO-DISK(1)