Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Canīt get a remote desktop login through CDE Post 302731733 by DGPickett on Thursday 15th of November 2012 04:47:48 PM
Old 11-15-2012
Best Practices of people you might trust with root in production are to stay out of root as much as possible (familiarity breeds contempt and disaster, like "rm -rf *" in the wrong window). Think "su - root -c 'something-I-need-to-do'". If you need to do it again, it is in your shell history.

Good security practices say you record who goes into root on every virtual host every time. A log of what they do can be nice, too.

If these practices get in your way, consider making admin IDs to do some of the things you do as root, perhaps using group permissions as they were intended. There are already too many various tasks under root. I recently found periodic new root-owned zero-length core dump files on a prod system's SAN mounts -- which app is crashing on which machine?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote control of cde desktop>?

Does anyone know if there is software out there top allow me to take remote control of a remote CDE desktop like using MS netmeeting? I do not mean mimick the window I mean take over/share the same session. Any help is appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boat73
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

remote CDE

Is there a way to connect to CDE remotely? Preferably using 'VNC'. I'd like to do this! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

CDE remote login option (dtchooser)

Hello, how can I get a "remote login" option in the CDE login screen? My Solaris box offers that by default. I already found that this might be done by dtchooser, so I copied the /usr/dt/config/Xaccess to /etc/dt/config/Xaccess and uncommented the line * CHOOSER BROADCAST - but still no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ebbi
1 Replies

4. Solaris

CDE Remote Login is not Working !!!

Hi , I have SunBlade 150 Workstation (Solaris 9), I installed the OS again then when I try to login to any server using ( Options > Remote Login > Enter Host Name) after I entered any host name nothing happened just white page for 2 or 3 mintues then the login screen reseted to the local... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CDE Login Banner

I'm having problem with the CDE pre login banner. I configured the c/usr/dt/config/C/Xresources file to add my warning message: Dtlogin*greeting.labelString: My Banner I then modified the Dtlogin*greeting*fontList to display the message in smaller text. This did not work. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: equismorio
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Not able to login through JDS but able to login through CDE

Dear All I am in a strange situation where I have install the Solaris 10 5/08 OS on Netra 1280 server. When I connect it through my laptop so that I can take the GUI from xmanager. When I try to login as root or any other users also through Java Destop Environment which accepted it after few... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

7. Solaris

How do I switch from CDE to Java Desktop in Solaris 10?

I am a newbie to Solaris/UNIX. I just installed Solaris 10 and accidentally chose CDE as my desktop instead of Java. How can I set Java Desktop as my desktop? Because before i installed my mechine is using java and more beauty from CDE.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moslemovic
2 Replies

8. AIX

Can't login on CDE AIX 4.2

Hi, can somebody please, please help me? After a power loss and server restart my server running AIX 4.2.2 could not boot. Following the procedure in my user guide I checked the hd's with # fsck -y /dev/hd1 # fsck -y /dev/hd2 # fsck -y /dev/hd3 # fsck -y /dev/hd4 # fsck -y /dev/hd9var I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: semso
0 Replies

9. AIX

Display Issues on Common Desktop Enviroment CDE

I configured CDE on AIX server and lauched CDE from desktop using reflection 14.1. I can lauch xclock with my own id but when i Su to any other id and try xclock it is giving the follwoing error X connection to localhost:10.0 broken ( explicit kill or server shutdown). Please elp on this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering remote UNIX shell script from Remote desktop

I m trying to run a batch script in remote desktop which executes unix commands on the unix server...the problem is i wnt the output in HTML format.so in my batch script i m giving the cmd like ssh hostname path ksh HC_Report.ksh>out.html ...but it generates the HTML file in remote desktop .i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan
2 Replies
dxaccounts(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     dxaccounts(8)

NAME
dxaccounts - Graphical interface for account administration SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxaccounts DESCRIPTION
The Account Manager application, dxaccounts, helps you manage user accounts on your Tru64 UNIX system. It operates on both base security level systems and enhanced security (C2) level systems. The Account Manager application lets you manage both the local and Network Information Service (NIS) UNIX account databases. NIS is used in order to centrally manage user accounts in a network environment. NIS lets participating systems share a common set of passwd and group files. NIS uses a client-server model. When the Advanced Server for Tru64 UNIX product is installed, the Account Manager application allows you to perform domain user account management for PC users. To start Account Manager from the CDE desktop:Choose the Application Manager from the CDE front panel. Choose the System_Admin group. Choose the DailyAdmin group. Click on the Account Manager icon. Online help is available for the dxaccounts application. To get help, click on any Help button or use the Help pull-down menu. Account Manager replaces the XSysAdmin(8) and XIsso(8) applications. RESTRICTIONS
You must have root privileges to modify system files with this application. If dxaccounts is run without root permission, you may view but not modify account information. In order to make changes to the NIS databases, you must run Account Manager on the machine designated as the NIS server. FILES
Defaults that are shared by the graphical user and command-line interfaces System and account defaults (enhanced security only) Group information for local groups Account information for local user accounts List of shells on the system Group information for NIS groups (on an NIS master) Account information for NIS user accounts (on an NIS master) Protected password authentication database files (enhanced security only) Protected password database (enhanced security only) Protected password database (enhanced security only) Account Manager application Account Manager help volume Account Manager help volume for enhanced security Directory containing Account Manager application icons Application defaults file that sets the default values for the X resources Account Manager message catalog Default directory for user account initial files SEE ALSO
Commands: auditmask(8), authck(8), groupadd(8), groupdel(8), groupmod(8), login(1), nis_intro(7), passwd(1), secsetup(8), useradd(8), userdel(8), usermod(8), XIsso(8), XSysAdmin(8) Functions: acceptable_password(3), getprpwent(3), getpwent(3) Files: authcap(4), default(4), group(4), passwd(4) Manuals: System Administration, Advanced Server for UNIX Installation and Administration, Advanced Server for UNIX Concepts and Plan- ning</docbook> dxaccounts(8)