Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris Filesystem usage discrepancy after "copy" Post 302728339 by DGPickett on Wednesday 7th of November 2012 04:11:47 PM
Old 11-07-2012
Allocation unit, a genneral term for what size hunk is given out. Often, it is the page size, but it can be a multiple. If the au is 32K, a one byte file takes 32K, bu does not have to ask for more or seek until over 32k. du reports bytes used, not allocated, as I recall, and of course df deals with what is allocated. A file of 0 lengh is just an inode, but a sym link needs an au to store the path, and directories are just flat binary files with a different inode bit setting, so they also use one or more au. So space allocated is, in integer math and integer au: ( byte_size + au - 1 ) / au

BTW, with ls the -a is defeated by the -d and *, as * ignores .* and -d stops listing of directory content in favor of the directory itself. To see all files and dirs in a dir, "ls -la dirname". "find" is very good about inclusion, though, except when you push past hidden inodes with *, e.g. "find whatever* -options".

Last edited by DGPickett; 11-07-2012 at 05:38 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris escape my script from "-" to "/226"

Hello everyone. I beg your guys pardon please. I try to ls -al in many path/directories. So, I put the code in text file which look like below; ls -al / ls -al /etc ls -al /etc/default ... however, when I paste it to Solaris over SecureCRT, it seems the code was escaped from "-" to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Red Hat

eliminating "mounted filesystem" messages from syslog

Hello all, perhaps this is an odd request, but I have the requirement none the less. Every time I mount a filesystem (at least an ext4 filesystem), I get a line indicating such in the syslog: Oct 9 22:26:28 sulaco kernel: EXT4-fs (dm-1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Printer configuration Migration from Solaris 10 "LP" to Solaris 11 "CUPS"

Need to find a way to import an LP printers.conf file to CUPS. I have some new Solaris 11.1 boxes that need to have 300 printers added. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
0 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS flash install "Unable to create Filesystem error"

Hi, I am trying to get an HPz420 workstation instaled (zfs root pool) via a jump-start server. I have a zfs image (from this workstation) the Solaris release is 10 1/13 update 11. I use a sparc U25 install server, upgraded to the same solaris build 10 1/13. This server is configured to install... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc0rpie
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
du(1)								   User Commands							     du(1)

NAME
du - summarize disk usage SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/du [-adr] [-k | -h] [-H | -L] [-o | -s] [file ...] /usr/xpg4/bin/du [-a | -s] [-k | -h] [-H | -L] [-rx] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The du utility writes to standard output the size of the file space allocated to, and the size of the file space allocated to each subdi- rectory of, the file hierarchy rooted in each of the specified files. The size of the file space allocated to a file of type directory is defined as the sum total of space allocated to all files in the file hierarchy rooted in the directory plus the space allocated to the directory itself. This sum will include the space allocated to any extended attributes encountered. Files with multiple links will be counted and written for only one entry. The directory entry that is selected in the report is unspeci- fied. By default, file sizes are written in 512-byte units, rounded up to the next 512-byte unit. /usr/xpg4/bin/du When du cannot obtain file attributes or read directories (see stat(2)), it will report an error condition and the final exit status will be affected. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for /usr/bin/du and /usr/xpg4/bin/du: -a In addition to the default output, report the size of each file not of type directory in the file hierarchy rooted in the speci- fied file. Regardless of the presence of the -a option, non-directories given as file operands will always be listed. -h All sizes are scaled to a human readable format, for example, 14K, 234M, 2.7G, or 3.0T. Scaling is done by repetitively dividing by 1024. -H If a symbolic link to a directory is specified on the command line, process the symbolic link by using the directory which the symbolic link references, rather than the link itself. -k Write the files sizes in units of 1024 bytes, rather than the default 512-byte units. -L Process symbolic links by using the file or directory which the symbolic link references, rather than the link itself. -s Instead of the default output, report only the total sum for each of the specified files. Specifying more than one of the options in the mutually exclusive pair, -H and -L, is not considered an error. The last option specified determines the output format. /usr/bin/du The following options are supported for /usr/bin/du only: -d Do not cross filesystem boundaries. For example, du -d / reports usage only on the root partition. -o Do not add child directories' usage to a parent's total. Without this option, the usage listed for a particular directory is the space taken by the files in that directory, as well as the files in all directories beneath it. This option does nothing if -s is used. -r Generate messages about directories that cannot be read, files that cannot be opened, and so forth, rather than being silent (the default). /usr/xpg4/bin/du The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/du only: -r By default, generate messages about directories that cannot be read, files that cannot be opened, and so forth. -x When evaluating file sizes, evaluate only those files that have the same device as the file specified by the file operand. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file The path name of a file whose size is to be written. If no file is specified, the current directory is used. OUTPUT
The output from du consists of the amount of the space allocated to a file and the name of the file. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of du when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of du: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/du +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/du +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ls(1), stat(2), attributes(5), environ(5), fsattr(5), largefile(5), standards(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
A file with two or more links is counted only once. If, however, there are links between files in different directories where the directo- ries are on separate branches of the file system hierarchy, du will count the excess files more than once. Files containing holes will result in an incorrect block count. SunOS 5.10 5 Oct 2003 du(1)