Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Behavior of Find command
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Behavior of Find command Post 302727025 by whegra on Monday 5th of November 2012 01:59:20 PM
Old 11-05-2012
Behavior of Find command

Centos 5.8

Lets say I have 2 nfs shares mounted to /folder1 and /folder2.

If I do a find / -name *something*

Will it also search the 2 nfs shares ?

If so is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behavior of find with xargs

Help me understand the right output. We have two machines. The first one is HP-UX machine1 B.11.00 U 9000/800 694339343 unlimited-user license The second one is AIX machine2 2 5 00067B2F4C00 with AIX version 5.2.0.0 Here is the command that I use on both systems on different... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

BASH command not found strang behavior

Hi all I am relatively new to linux (specifically red hat). I have installed Fedora 13 on my machine and started playing with the terminal when i found a very strange behavior when typing a command that is not found: the terminal does not prompt me back. In other words, i am logged as root (or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explaination on Behavior of awk command

Hello Admin, Could you pls explain on the below behavior of the awk command. $ awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk '{print $NF}' | sort | tail -1 65 $var=`awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of find and rm command

Hi I run the below command to find and delete *.xml files 90 or more days old. find . -type f -name '*.xml' -mtime +90 -exec rm {} \; find: stat() error ./Hello/2014_EMPTY.xml: No such file or directory ./Hello/2014_EMPTY_8011.xml: No such file or directory ..... .... If the file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird behavior of command "local"

Hi there, I'm running into a very weird situation. Let's forget about the purpose of my initial script please. I noticed the bug whatever I'm trying to do. I'm on an old server running bash 3.1.17. Say we have the following script : foo:~# cat /tmp/test #!/bin/bash f1() { local... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

behavior of find utility's -mtime -7 primary

Can I ask a question not related to original question. I have this below command running on a directory which contains thousands of files. This command runs for 5 minutes. Any files received in folder1 during the execution of command is getting moved, even though that file is just received and it's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Super123
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange behavior from kill command

I am getting some strange behaviour from the kill command. When I run the which command it says it points to /usr/bin/kill. When I look at my PATH I have /usr/bin in it. So why does running kill or /usr/bin/kill produce different outputs? ghost ~ $ which kill /usr/bin/kill ghost ~ $ kill... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies
UMOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     UMOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
umount.nfs, umount.nfs4 - unmount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
umount.nfs dir [-fvnrlh ] DESCRIPTION
umount.nfs and umount.nfs4 are a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. umount.nfs4 and umount.nfs are meant to be used by the umount(8) command for unmounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. dir is the directory on which the file system is mounted. OPTIONS
-f Force unmount the file system in case of unreachable NFS system. -v Be verbose. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip delet- ing an entry. -r In case unmounting fails, try to mount read-only. -l Lazy unmount. Detach the file system from the file system hierarchy now, and cleanup all references to the file system as soon as it is not busy anymore. -h Print help message. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and umount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), umount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 6 Jun 2006 UMOUNT.NFS(8)