Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace value using a key from other file Post 302725991 by ctsgnb on Saturday 3rd of November 2012 07:08:07 AM
Old 11-03-2012
Just another way to do it. (if multiple space are shrinked into a single one)

Code:
awk '{F=$1;e=(F~/sps$/)?" ":z;s=$2" "$3;p=$4;r=$5;
while(getline <F){sub(s e p,s e r,$0);print $0 > F".new"};close (F)
}' datatochange.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find replace within a file?

I build several files by using the cut command to grab select fields(columns) from a really bid csv file. Each file is one column of data. I then put them together using paste command. Here is the code built in tcsh: cut -d , -f 1 some.csv > 1.csv cut -d , -f 10 some.csv > 10.csv paste 1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yankee428
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a text inside a file based on a xml key

<c-param> <param-name>Number</param-name> <param-value>22</param-value> <description>my house number</description> </c-param> <c-param> <param-name>Address</param-name> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a file

Hi everyone, I am new to the world of shell script programming. I have a file named Fnd1.txt which has the contents as below. I need to replace the \t with the tab space. Can any one help me to write a perl scipt for this. USA45V1\tG\t341029 USAV1T1\tG\t450545 USAREJ1\tG\t572645... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinay123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in a gz file

Is there a way to do a find and replace in a .gz file in a single script ? I can always unzip, find and replace and then zip it again but would hate to do this everytime. Thanks ! Vivek (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vashah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell problem: using a key from one file to find data in another

I've never written scripts (just switched from Ada to C++). I have a book that's over my head and a few examples, other then that I'm floundering. Everything here at work is being done in C Shell. None of the C++ programmers are experienced in shell scripting. I have a data file with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bassmaster
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace in File

Legends, I have a file /tmp/list.txt I want to find "/bin/" and replace it with "/log/" I tried the follwoing but no luck Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e 's/\/bin\/\/log\/' /tmp/list.txt >> /tmp/try Substitution pattern not terminated at -e line 1. AND, Sandy: /tmp> perl -pi -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Key and replace value

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I have a config file where key and value is stored as below. In my shell script, I want to look for Test ID in the config file and replace the value 1 with another value stored in a variable. How would I do that ? <Config Key="Test ID" Value="1"/> I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnuvardhanh
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to find and replace in a file

Hi All, I am having below sample data in a file. I need to find all the line form this file with word ABC and i need to replace the characters at position 120 which is "CO:BOGFDUI"(30chars) in the lines with blank space. I have tried using grep to find the word with ABC (grep ABC filename),... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
3 Replies
BEAV(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   BEAV(1)

NAME
beav - binary file editor and viewer SYNOPSIS
beav [file...] DESCRIPTION
This is a brief description of the minimal set of commands that are necessary to start using beav effectively. For more information, review the file /usr/share/doc/beav/beav140.txt.gz. The file-visit command, Ctl-X Ctl-V, can be used to read a file in for editing. The file can also be read in from the command line; beav <edit_file>. Data is displayed in one or more windows. These commands can be used to navigate around the windows. move-back-char Ctl-B moves left move-back-line Ctl-P moves up move-forw-char Ctl-F moves right move-forw-line Ctl-N moves down window-delete Ctl-X 0 delete window window-expand Ctl-X 1 expand window The move-to-byte command, Ctl-X G, will prompt you for a byte position to move to. These commands will insert a zero byte at the cursor position or delete the byte at that position. insert-unit Ctl-X I delete-forw-unit Esc D The file-save command, Ctl-X Ctl-S, will save the data to the file if a change has been made. The help command, Esc ?, will display a list of all commands and their current key bindings. The abort-cmd command, Ctl-G, will abort any command that is in operation. The quit-no-save command, Ctl-X Ctl-C, will exit beav. If there is any data that has not been saved you will be warned. FILES
/usr/share/doc/beav/beav140.txt.gz BEAV(1)