Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need explanation on Perl Fork Post 302725533 by liyakathali on Friday 2nd of November 2012 10:10:31 AM
Old 11-02-2012
Need explanation on Perl Fork

Hi,

I am breaking my head to understand the below line of code in perl:
Code:
next if $pid = fork;    # Parent goes to next server.
    die "fork failed: $!" unless defined $pid;

Can anyone please explain me in detail as I am a slow learner?

Thanks,
Ali.

Last edited by Franklin52; 03-28-2013 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

new to perl.. how do I do this ? fork/ threads ?

I have never coded in perl before (just started today morning :). I need to write a perl program to automate a task. Here is how I do it manually: Start a program in my home dir. Now if I want to execute another program while this one is still running, what I would do is go to another... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need explanation

Hi am having a c pgm. It has the include files (unistd.h,sys/types.h,win.h,scr.h,curses.h,stdarg.h and color.h). I don't know the purpose of these include files. will u plz explain me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mari.kb
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl fork

Hi, I want to exec three different functions in perl one per fork(); How can I determine that this it the third fork and I should use third function in it. if ($pid = 0) { first();} else ( #parent second(); ) How to run third function? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation on Anonymous hash in PERL!!

Hi, I have doubt regarding the Anonymous hash. For creating a object we are generally using Anonymous hash. My Doubt is: Why we are only using Anonymous hash?? Instead of Anonymous hash can we use global hash variable and take its reference for creating an object using same bless function??... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatanig
0 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Please help with the following fork code..with complete explanation

I have the following piece of codes. Please explain it to me in great detail how are these codes working. 1. #include <stdio.h> int main(){ int x; x=0; while (x<2 && fork()){ if (!fork()) execlp("echo","x++","x",0); x++; system("echo x+x"); } } 2. #include <stdio.h> int i;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakashabii
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In need of explanation

Its great someone provided this script that strips out a filename and extension but can someone explain how each line works? file1='Jane Mid Doe.txt' newfile='Jane.txt' 1) ext=${file1##*.} 2) filename=${file%%.???} 3) set -- $filename 4) newfile="1.$extension" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork in perl

Can someone tell me perl fork example please. I tried online but could not get proper documentation. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork in perl

Hi, I have a file which has some 50 hosts, I want to login to each host using ssh and execute any command. I am using fork function in perl. I am able to login to each host and execute the command in the hosts paralelly, but it spawing/forking 50 processes at a time. It will consume the cpu... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl scripts: requesting for logic explanation

Hi, balajesuri and durden_tyler, I have found your perl script for the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/176370-perl-script-help-me-extracting-string.html, but find it difficult to understand the syntax. Could you or any forum members kindly shed some light on the logic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies
IO::Pipe(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					     IO::Pipe(3pm)

NAME
IO::Pipe - supply object methods for pipes SYNOPSIS
use IO::Pipe; $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); if($pid = fork()) { # Parent $pipe->reader(); while(<$pipe>) { ... } } elsif(defined $pid) { # Child $pipe->writer(); print $pipe ... } or $pipe = IO::Pipe->new(); $pipe->reader(qw(ls -l)); while(<$pipe>) { ... } DESCRIPTION
"IO::Pipe" provides an interface to creating pipes between processes. CONSTRUCTOR
new ( [READER, WRITER] ) Creates an "IO::Pipe", which is a reference to a newly created symbol (see the "Symbol" package). "IO::Pipe::new" optionally takes two arguments, which should be objects blessed into "IO::Handle", or a subclass thereof. These two objects will be used for the system call to "pipe". If no arguments are given then method "handles" is called on the new "IO::Pipe" object. These two handles are held in the array part of the GLOB until either "reader" or "writer" is called. METHODS
reader ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the reading end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. writer ([ARGS]) The object is re-blessed into a sub-class of "IO::Handle", and becomes a handle at the writing end of the pipe. If "ARGS" are given then "fork" is called and "ARGS" are passed to exec. handles () This method is called during construction by "IO::Pipe::new" on the newly created "IO::Pipe" object. It returns an array of two objects blessed into "IO::Pipe::End", or a subclass thereof. SEE ALSO
IO::Handle AUTHOR
Graham Barr. Currently maintained by the Perl Porters. Please report all bugs to <perlbug@perl.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1996-8 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-03-04 IO::Pipe(3pm)