Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog rotation problem
Operating Systems AIX syslog rotation problem Post 302725347 by bakunin on Friday 2nd of November 2012 06:20:53 AM
Old 11-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarn
or does it require any other action after amking the changes in syslog.conf.
The "default action" after making such a change is to restart syslogd because otherwise it wouldn't become aware of the changes to its configuration. But you sure knew that already, didn't you?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What are tr.pid.rotation files?

Hi! I'm facing a unique problem! When I run a program on HPUX, it runs fine but it also produces a bunch of files of the format: tr.<pid>.number the contents of these files are a bunch of numbers and I know for a fact that these files are not created by the program I'm running. Seems... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zackz
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Log rotation on HP-UX

Can anyone post a sample log rotate and archive configuration on HP-UX? I really don't know how to do that... :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: untamed
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rotation

Hello all. Due to some reason I can not use HUP to rotate needed log files. So I use the standard method: cp $file $file.1 cat /dev/null > $file But if Java application in this time writing the output to $file, in the beginning of it appears many "^@^@^@^@^@^@". How to avoid it? Or how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rotation and autosys

Hi, I current have many apps servers running and need to create a script to rotate logs daily, and then create an autosys job to delete logs that are older than 30 days. I was thrown into this and have no idea what to do, please help me get started, thanks! -----Post Update----- and i will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2learn09
6 Replies

5. Web Development

Mod_Jk Log rotation

Hi , I have cronolog (http://cronolog.org/) setup to rotate both my error and access logs, but how can I use it to rotate my mod_jk.log file. I tried different things but cant get it to work. I want to end up where all three files will be rotated daily in YYYY/MM/DD folder format. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2learn09
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Log rotation, twice

hi folk, need advise regarding the log rotation, i have the logadm set at 30 2 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm so it supposed to rotate once per day, but now it rotated twice! but someone my log will rotate at 2:30 AM, but then another 2 hours later, it creates a new and rotate a new log again,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

check ip rotation

Hi all, I configured ip rotation on exim mail server by modifying the /etc/exim.conf file. I want to check whether the ip address rotating or not. Can any body show me how can i find out is it rotating or not. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log Rotation

Hi Guys, Good morning, I just want to know and collect ideas on this one. Regarding rotation of logs as I've observed it's not consistently functioning. I have a server with 8 Partitions, each partition has a dedicated directory for the logs that is needed and I set it every 5mins (300secs) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Log rotation

Hi All! I seem to have a problem with log rotation, unless I am doing something wrong, I have type the following command for testing purposes to see if the -s option works but he did not: logadm -w /var/adm/messages -C 8 -c -s 512k -t '/var/adm/messages.$n' -z 1 the file is now at this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time rotation

Hi, I'm trying to figure out Rsync Timings from my logs of the script. For this I have enabled a wrapper script to log start time and end time of the script so that I can catch the Rsync lapsed time. Below are the code lines I'm trying to use for Rsync time . INPUT is |Running the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies
SYSLOG(8)                                                         System Logging                                                         SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)