Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiprocessing Help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multiprocessing Help Post 302724841 by Corona688 on Thursday 1st of November 2012 11:06:29 AM
Old 11-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_92
That makes sense, so if I just send 24 through at once, the CPU will allocate the tasks automatically? Seems simple enough. I was slightly wrong in my post above, the machine has two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors, which with hyper threading has 24 virtual cores.
24 virtual cores are not 24 actual cores. They can't truly do everything simultaneously, they just overlap what parts of two tasks wouldn't compete for the same CPU resources.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiprocessing under Linux

I'm writing C programs to be executed on a multi-processor UNIX (GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11) Do I need to add a special kind of code to somewhere or run a special utility to execute the program file to be executed by all processors? Or is it handled automatically by kernel? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rayne
1 Replies

2. Programming

Multiprocessing multipointers

I have a complex problem..... I have to search files on directory "text files" then search on all of them for a word or sentence....the user inter my problem is,,,, if I want to create a child for each file...and point a file by pointer to search...and I don't know how much files i have in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiprocessing in Python

Hi there, I have a code that can take in any function with two arguements and do processing. However, I would like to implement a feature whether it can limit a number of process running concurrently so as not take up too much resources. I have tried researching for pool.map however I am unable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

<< Threading inside multiprocessing using queues >>

Hi All, I am trying to achieve threading inside each process of multiprocessing. I have 2 queues one for multiprocess (process) & another inside each process. when i execute it got hung after below output. My goal here is to go through p_source queue & for each process picks up all t_source... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
0 Replies
Intel Xeon Phi (MIC) Specific Functions(3)		     Hardware Locality (hwloc)			Intel Xeon Phi (MIC) Specific Functions(3)

NAME
Intel Xeon Phi (MIC) Specific Functions - Functions static inline int hwloc_intel_mic_get_device_cpuset (hwloc_topology_t topology , int idx , hwloc_cpuset_t set) static inline hwloc_obj_t hwloc_intel_mic_get_device_osdev_by_index (hwloc_topology_t topology, unsigned idx) Detailed Description Function Documentation static inline int hwloc_intel_mic_get_device_cpuset (hwloc_topology_t topology, int idx, hwloc_cpuset_tset) [static] Get the CPU set of logical processors that are physically close to MIC device whose index is idx. Return the CPU set describing the locality of the MIC device whose index is idx. Topology topology and device index idx must match the local machine. I/O devices detection is not needed in the topology. The function only returns the locality of the device. If more information about the device is needed, OS objects should be used instead, see hwloc_intel_mic_get_device_osdev_by_index(). This function is currently only implemented in a meaningful way for Linux; other systems will simply get a full cpuset. static inline hwloc_obj_t hwloc_intel_mic_get_device_osdev_by_index (hwloc_topology_ttopology, unsignedidx) [static] Get the hwloc OS device object corresponding to the MIC device for the given index. Return the OS device object describing the MIC device whose index is idx. Return NULL if there is none. The topology topology does not necessarily have to match the current machine. For instance the topology may be an XML import of a remote host. I/O devices detection must be enabled in the topology. Note: The corresponding PCI device object can be obtained by looking at the OS device parent object. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for Hardware Locality (hwloc) from the source code. Version 1.7 Sun Apr 7 2013 Intel Xeon Phi (MIC) Specific Functions(3)