Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting File having big single line into 95 Char Per Line Post 302724499 by alister on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 05:07:23 PM
Old 10-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancesunny
I need to format each file in such way that each File will have 95 Characters per line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancesunny
Code:
dd if=FileName.dat of=NewFile.dat cbs=95 conv=unblock

dd's unblock conversion yields variable length records/lines. If, as you say, the result must consist of 95 character lines, you cannot use that dd approach, because it will strip trailing space characters from a 95 character block and leave something shorter.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file to get data in exact line by line

I have my data something like this SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE NETPROTOCOL 1947430693 07/01/2009 05:16:40 FR SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE NETPROTOCOL 1947430746 07/01/2009 05:18:05 FR I want the output as follows.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how first char in odd line and second char in even line

Hi I m having ifconfig -a o/p like sbanlab1:ksh# ifconfig -a | egrep "flags|inet" | awk -F' ' '{print $1,$2}' lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 lo0:1: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 bge0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help substituting text in a file having a single line but no newline char

Hello, Need help substituting a particular word in a file having a single line but no newline character at the end. I was trying to use sed but it doesn't work probably because there is no newline char at the end of the line. $ cat hlq_detail /outputs/alvan23/PDFs/bills $ cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan_u2005
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk concatenate every line of a file in a single line

I have several hundreds of tiny files which need to be concatenated into one single line and all those in a single file. Some files have several blank lines. Tried to use this script but failed on it. awk 'END { print r } r && !/^/ { print FILENAME, r; r = "" }{ r = r ? r $0 : $0 }' *.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove First Char from Line in File Only if it's a comma

I have a file, I need to remove the first character of each line, but only if it's a comma. I don't want to delete any other commas in each line. Trying cat or sed but I really don't know them very well, would love some help. This removes the first comma, but it removes the first comma no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cynthia
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate one line to mutiple line based on one char?

Hi Gurus, I need separate one file which is one huge line to mutiple line. file like abcd # bcd # def # fge # ged I want to get abcd bcd def fge ged Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To find and display the middle line in a file using single line command.

Hi all, How can i display the middle line of a file using a single line command? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakme Pemmaiah
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Output to file print as single line, not separate line

example of problem: when I echo "$e" >> /home/cogiz/file.txt result prints to file as:AA BB CC I need it to save to file as this:AA BB CC I know it's probably something really simple but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. Cogiz (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues formatting output of two commands in a single line.

I wish to generate output of two commands in the same line separated by a single white-space. Below is my command and output in the same line. ls -ltr fname1.out | awk '{$2=$4=$5=x; print}' | tr '\n' '\t' | tr -s ' '; cksum<fname1.out | cut -d' ' -f1 Output: -rw-r--r--. root Aug 26 16:57... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
STRSTR(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRSTR(3)

NAME
strstr, strcasestr, strnstr -- locate a substring in a string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strstr(const char *big, const char *little); char * strcasestr(const char *big, const char *little); char * strnstr(const char *big, const char *little, size_t len); #include <string.h> #include <xlocale.h> char * strcasestr_l(const char *big, const char *little, locale_t loc); DESCRIPTION
The strstr() function locates the first occurrence of the null-terminated string little in the null-terminated string big. The strcasestr() function is similar to strstr(), but ignores the case of both strings. The strcasestr_l() function does the same as strcasestr() but takes an explicit locale rather than using the current locale. The strnstr() function locates the first occurrence of the null-terminated string little in the string big, where not more than len charac- ters are searched. Characters that appear after a '' character are not searched. Since the strnstr() function is a FreeBSD specific API, it should only be used when portability is not a concern. RETURN VALUES
If little is an empty string, big is returned; if little occurs nowhere in big, NULL is returned; otherwise a pointer to the first character of the first occurrence of little is returned. EXAMPLES
The following sets the pointer ptr to the "Bar Baz" portion of largestring: const char *largestring = "Foo Bar Baz"; const char *smallstring = "Bar"; char *ptr; ptr = strstr(largestring, smallstring); The following sets the pointer ptr to NULL, because only the first 4 characters of largestring are searched: const char *largestring = "Foo Bar Baz"; const char *smallstring = "Bar"; char *ptr; ptr = strnstr(largestring, smallstring, 4); SEE ALSO
memchr(3), memmem(3), strchr(3), strcspn(3), strpbrk(3), strrchr(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strtok(3), wcsstr(3) STANDARDS
The strstr() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). BSD
October 11, 2001 BSD