Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: Printing null hash values as a " "? Post 302724469 by D2K on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 03:49:07 PM
Old 10-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Make another variable, check if it's not set, make it blank if not, print it.
Code:
$var=somethingelse;
if(!defined($var)) $var="";

printf("%s\n", $var);

I suppose you could inject blanks into your hash to give it something to find.
Oh yeah totally forgot about the defined() function. Thanks Corona!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change "set" values in perl, windows...

i am using perl in win2000advanced server... --------------------------- perl -version: --------------------------- This is perl, v5.6.1 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread (with 1 registered patch, see perl -V for more detail) Copyright 1987-2001, Larry Wall Binary build 638 provided by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl "system" cmd return values..

perl 5.6.1: when i try a "system" command(with if loops for $?), i get this: child exited with value 1 what is meant by this $? values and what does it meant if it returns 1?.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extran NUll character added after end of line "\n"

Hi All, I am facing a strange situation and want to find why it is occuring . When i convert the whole line into Hexadecimal character i can find the junk value after new line (\n) . If i look in binary mode it is not visible. PLease let me know how possible the junk character is added... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hashes "Can't use subscript on private hash"

This is driving me mad, where am I going wrong? The relevant segment of code: sub getndsybcons { my @servers=@{$_}; my @sybservers=@{$_}; my %results; foreach my $server(@servers) { my $biggestsyb; my $biggestsybval=0; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting standard out to /dev/null goes to file "/dev/null" instead

I apologize if this question has been answered else where or is too elementary. I ran across a KSH script (long unimportant story) that does this: if ; then CAS_SRC_LOG="/var/log/cas_src.log 2>&1" else CAS_SRC_LOG="/dev/null 2>&1" fithen does this: /usr/bin/echo "heartbeat:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbmorrisonjr
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
snprimedb,v0.3.8(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       snprimedb,v0.3.8(8)

NAME
snprimedb - feed the sn database. SYNOPSIS
snprimedb [-i] (no arguments) DESCRIPTION
snprimedb reads records from its standard input and enters them into the database. The database is appended to; if you want to start a new database, you would delete the database files .chain, .table, .newsgroup before running this program. The main purpose of snprimedb is to rebuild the ID database. Then its input is usually obtained from snscan. If the option -i is given, simply initialize the database files if they do not exist, and exit. Input lines are of the format newsgroup id serial where newsgroup is the newsgroup the article may be found in, id is its message id, and serial is the local serial num- ber of that article in that newsgroup. If newsgroup is the special name =junk, then the whole line is ignored. You will need to be root or the owner of /var/spool/sn to do this. BUGS
snprimedb does not check to see that the articles really exist. Also the size of the hash table is fixed at compile time. Under degenerate conditions, the hash table file .chain (see below) could grow very large, with reclaimed space remaining unused. This is due to the very simple file space allocator, which doesn't know how to coalesce adjacent free areas. It doesn't know how to split them either. The allocator assumes that the shape of the distribution of record lengths remains quite constant over time. The hash table database doesn't make any attempt to reduce its footprint. This should be acceptable, since the database is shared. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
SNROOT If this is set and is not empty, the value is used in place of /var/spool/sn, the default news spool directory. FILES
/var/spool/sn/.table snprimedb uses this file as the index of the hash table, and ... /var/spool/sn/.chain as the hash chains, and ... /var/spool/sn/.newsgroup to attach an integer identifier to each newsgroup name. This file is a human-readable flat text file. N.B. Harold Tay snprimedb,v0.3.8(8)