Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting started with windows and screens without desktop environment Post 302724099 by hergp on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 08:00:54 AM
Old 10-31-2012
Programs like browsers rely heavily on some sort of desktop environment, like Gnome or KDE.

X11 is basically a library of graphic routines, not more. To make use of it, you need a window manager and more, which make up a desktop environment.

While it should be possible, to write programs which directly handle all the graphical output in fullscreen mode (like in the old DOS ages), programs like firefox won't work like this.

Or did I misunderstand you?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Common Desktop Environment Question

Hello, I'm experiencing a strange problem with CDE on a Solaris workstation. The Desktop is bigger than the screen. In otherwords, when I open an xterm half of the xterm window appears half off the screen. When I move the mouse up to the top of the new xterm the control panel scrolls off the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radimus
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started HP-UX

Hi People! I've just got a HP-UX system dumped on me. I've started it, followed all the install/setup questions, and everything was going ok, right upto when going into the desktop enviroment I got the message "The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started". Now I've checked the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpiuk
8 Replies

3. Red Hat

Changing Desktop Environment by mistake

Hi, I'm using fedora 15, my defualt DE is XFCE I once saw that there is a option in startup DE's that I can select and it was OPENBOX. I just wanted to test it. but after choosing it as my DE here I am. I have just access to terminal, firefox.. what's in my desktop. there is no panel here. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoseinit
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

How to Get Started on Ubuntu Desktop for the first time

Hello Everyone, I have been using RHEL from quite a while now on server system, but now i also want to use Linux as my Desktop/Laptop OS on my personal computer. So i downloaded the Ubuntu 12.04 yeserday as i have read alot about it being the most popular Linux Desktop OS. So guys could you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
1 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Linux Desktop vs Windows 8

Any comments on this Windows 8 OEM specs may block Linux booting | ITworld (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Navigate to Windows Desktop?

I want to use my Desktop for saving files of my codes. Looking for Desktop in my OS (C : ) and couldn't find it anywhere. Is it possible to navigate to your desktop? If so how? By the way, I am using Cygwin. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DyslexicChciken
6 Replies
desktop_color_depth(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual				      desktop_color_depth(3alleg4)

NAME
desktop_color_depth - Finds out the desktop color depth. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> int desktop_color_depth(); DESCRIPTION
Finds out the currently selected desktop color depth. You can use this information to make your program use the same color depth as the desktop, which will likely make it run faster because the graphic driver won't be doing unnecessary color conversions behind your back. Under some OSes, switching to a full screen graphics mode may automatically change the desktop color depth. You have, therefore, to call this function before setting any graphics mode in order to retrieve the real desktop color depth. Example: allegro_init(); ... if ((depth = desktop_color_depth()) != 0) { set_color_depth(depth); } RETURN VALUE
Returns the color depth or zero on platforms where this information is not available or does not apply. SEE ALSO
get_desktop_resolution(3alleg4), set_color_depth(3alleg4), set_gfx_mode(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 desktop_color_depth(3alleg4)