Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Uppercase to lowercase
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Uppercase to lowercase Post 302723963 by elixir_sinari on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 04:49:24 AM
Old 10-31-2012
Code:
perl -e '
chdir "/path/to/your/directory" or die "Cannot chdir ($!)\n";
for (<*.MP3>) {
 if(-f) {
  $old=$_;
  $new=ucfirst lc $old;
  print "Renaming $old to $new\n";
  #print "Renaming $old to $new unsuccessful ($!)\n" unless rename $old => $new;
 }
}'

Uncomment the rename line if the printed lines seem OK.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

uppercase to lowercase

Greetings & Happy New Years To All! A client of mine FTP'ed their files up to the server and it all ended up being in UPPERCASE when it all should be in lowercase. Is there a builtin command or a script anyone knows of that will automagically convert all files to lowercase? Please advise asap... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: webex
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How convert lowercase or uppercase

It will only accept one argument where it should be upper or lowercase. if user choose to convert filnames to upper case than it should convert to upper or vice versa. if no action taken by the user then should not do anything any of the files in the current directory. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex20
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UPPERCASE to lowercase with no overwriting?

Hey, I've just started learning shell script today. How would I write a bash script file that changes file names from uppercase to lowercase in that directory, the program should warn the user and NOT overwrite the existing file if it's already in lowercase? for example in a directory i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lgd923
1 Replies

4. AIX

Lowercase to Uppercase

Inside a script I have 2 variables COMP=cy and PT=t. further down the same script I require at the same line to call those 2 variables the first time uppercase and after lowercase ${COMP}${PT}ACE,${COMP}${PT}ace. Can somebody help me Thanks in advance George Govotsis (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uppercase to lowercase

i have no variable and no file i just want to convert AJIT to ajit with some command in UNIX can anybody help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

indentation and lowercase to uppercase

hi, i need to write a bash script that does two things. the program will take from the command line a file name, which is a C code, and an integer, which is the size of my indentation i would then have to indent every nested code by the number of columns provided by the user in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kratos.
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix: lowercase to uppercase

I just started to learn unix... and i needed to make a basic script. i need to 1. read a file (.txt) 2. count the words of EVERY sentece 3. sentences with odd number of words need to be converted into lowercase sentences with even number of words need to be converted into uppercase ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chilli1988
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UPPERCASE to lowercase

Hi All, i have a file and i want to convert all uppercase letters to lowercase letters which are in my file. how can i do this. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase and vice versa

shell script to convert file names from UPPERCASE to lowercase file names or vice versa in linux anybody please help me out!!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert lowercase to uppercase

listprocs.sh contains ps -ef | grep "swikar" 1) Write a shell script to convert an input file to all upper case. Name your shell script toupper.sh. Hint: tr ' ' ' ' will convert all lower case letters to upper case To use your script, try the following command: cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swikar
1 Replies
chdir(2)							   System Calls 							  chdir(2)

NAME
chdir, fchdir - change working directory SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int chdir(const char *path); int fchdir(int fildes); DESCRIPTION
The chdir() and fchdir() functions cause a directory pointed to by path or fildes to become the current working directory. The starting point for path searches for path names not beginning with / (slash). The path argument points to the path name of a directory. The fildes argument is an open file descriptor of a directory. For a directory to become the current directory, a process must have execute (search) access to the directory. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned, the current working directory is unchanged, and errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
The chdir() function will fail if: EACCES Search permission is denied for any component of the path name. EFAULT The path argument points to an illegal address. EINTR A signal was caught during the execution of the chdir() function. EIO An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating path. ENAMETOOLONG The length of the path argument exceeds PATH_MAX, or the length of a path component exceeds NAME_MAX while _POSIX_NO_TRUNC is in effect. ENOENT Either a component of the path prefix or the directory named by path does not exist or is a null pathname. ENOLINK The path argument points to a remote machine and the link to that machine is no longer active. ENOTDIR A component of the path name is not a directory. The fchdir() function will fail if: EACCES Search permission is denied for fildes. EBADF The fildes argument is not an open file descriptor. EINTR A signal was caught during the execution of the fchdir() function. EIO An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. ENOLINK The fildes argument points to a remote machine and the link to that machine is no longer active. ENOTDIR The open file descriptor fildes does not refer to a directory. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chroot(2), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Dec 1996 chdir(2)