Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting strings in reverse order Post 302723915 by elixir_sinari on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 02:48:55 AM
Old 10-31-2012
With perl (without invoking the interpreter twice and without calling any external utility but memory-intensive depending on the file size):
Code:
perl -lne 'push @strs,$_;END{print for map {scalar reverse} sort map {scalar reverse} @strs}' file

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 10-31-2012 at 09:04 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed and regex to reverse order???

so i have been trying to learn how to manipulate text on my own and have gotten stumped... let's say i have a text file that says (highly simplified): people ordinary How would swap the order of the words.. I know i need to use sed and some kind of back reference but cannot make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urtherhoda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file in reverse order

I a file with log entries... I want to sort it so that the last line in the file is first and the first line is last.. eg. Sample file 1 h a f 8 6 After sort should look like 6 8 f a h 1 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program for sorting strings in an alphabetical order

Hi, I trying to find the solution for writing the programming in unix by shell programming for sorting thr string in alphabetical order. I getting diffculty in that ,, so i want to find out the solution for that Please do needful Thanks Bhagyesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bp_vanarse
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort -reverse order

I need to sort the particular column only in reverse order how i can give it.. if i give the -r option the whole file is getting sorted in reverse order. 1st 2nd col 3rd C col 4th col 5th col ------------------------------------------- C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a field, but with reverse order

Hi Everyone, I have one a.txt: a b 001 c b b 002 c c c, not 002 c The output should be 001 002 002 If i use cut -f 3 -d' ', this does not work on the 3rd line, so i thought is any way to cut the field counting from the end? or any perl thing can do this?:confused: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

6. Programming

Sorting a vector of strings into numerical order.

I have a vector of strings that contain a list of channels like this: 101,99,22HD,432,300HD I have tried using the sort routine like this: sort(mychans.begin(),mychans.end()); For some reason my channels are not being sorted at all. I was hoping someone might have some input that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get fields in reverse order?

i am having lines like below seperated by "|" (pipe) abc|xyz 123|567 i have to get the above in reverse order xyz|abc 567|123 Pls help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

print in reverse order

Hi, I want to print the item in reverse order such that the output would look like 00 50 50 23 40 22 02 96 Below is the input: 00 05 05 32 04 22 20 69 Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issues with sorting in reverse order

I have a unix script that outputs a summary file to the mac desktop. The file is called summary.txt I am trying to configure such so that the summary.txt file lists the content contained within such in reverse sort order. I have used sort -r but it does not seem to work. I would be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
8 Replies
RADIXSORT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      RADIXSORT(3)

NAME
radixsort, sradixsort -- radix sort LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <limits.h> #include <stdlib.h> int radixsort(const unsigned char **base, int nmemb, const unsigned char *table, unsigned endbyte); int sradixsort(const unsigned char **base, int nmemb, const unsigned char *table, unsigned endbyte); DESCRIPTION
The radixsort() and sradixsort() functions are implementations of radix sort. These functions sort an array of pointers to byte strings, the initial member of which is referenced by base. The byte strings may contain any values; the end of each string is denoted by the user-specified value endbyte. Applications may specify a sort order by providing the table argument. If non-NULL, table must reference an array of UCHAR_MAX + 1 bytes which contains the sort weight of each possible byte value. The end-of-string byte must have a sort weight of 0 or 255 (for sorting in reverse order). More than one byte may have the same sort weight. The table argument is useful for applications which wish to sort differ- ent characters equally, for example, providing a table with the same weights for A-Z as for a-z will result in a case-insensitive sort. If table is NULL, the contents of the array are sorted in ascending order according to the ASCII order of the byte strings they reference and endbyte has a sorting weight of 0. The sradixsort() function is stable, that is, if two elements compare as equal, their order in the sorted array is unchanged. The sradixsort() function uses additional memory sufficient to hold nmemb pointers. The radixsort() function is not stable, but uses no additional memory. These functions are variants of most-significant-byte radix sorting; in particular, see D.E. Knuth's Algorithm R and section 5.2.5, exercise 10. They take linear time relative to the number of bytes in the strings. RETURN VALUES
The radixsort() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
[EINVAL] The value of the endbyte element of table is not 0 or 255. Additionally, the sradixsort() function may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library routine malloc(3). SEE ALSO
sort(1), qsort(3) Knuth, D.E., "Sorting and Searching", The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 3, pp. 170-178, 1968. Paige, R., "Three Partition Refinement Algorithms", SIAM J. Comput., No. 6, Vol. 16, 1987. McIlroy, P., "Computing Systems", Engineering Radix Sort, Vol. 6:1, pp. 5-27, 1993. HISTORY
The radixsort() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
January 27, 1994 BSD