Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting strings in reverse order Post 302723915 by elixir_sinari on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 02:48:55 AM
Old 10-31-2012
With perl (without invoking the interpreter twice and without calling any external utility but memory-intensive depending on the file size):
Code:
perl -lne 'push @strs,$_;END{print for map {scalar reverse} sort map {scalar reverse} @strs}' file

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 10-31-2012 at 09:04 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed and regex to reverse order???

so i have been trying to learn how to manipulate text on my own and have gotten stumped... let's say i have a text file that says (highly simplified): people ordinary How would swap the order of the words.. I know i need to use sed and some kind of back reference but cannot make it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urtherhoda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file in reverse order

I a file with log entries... I want to sort it so that the last line in the file is first and the first line is last.. eg. Sample file 1 h a f 8 6 After sort should look like 6 8 f a h 1 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program for sorting strings in an alphabetical order

Hi, I trying to find the solution for writing the programming in unix by shell programming for sorting thr string in alphabetical order. I getting diffculty in that ,, so i want to find out the solution for that Please do needful Thanks Bhagyesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bp_vanarse
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort -reverse order

I need to sort the particular column only in reverse order how i can give it.. if i give the -r option the whole file is getting sorted in reverse order. 1st 2nd col 3rd C col 4th col 5th col ------------------------------------------- C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a field, but with reverse order

Hi Everyone, I have one a.txt: a b 001 c b b 002 c c c, not 002 c The output should be 001 002 002 If i use cut -f 3 -d' ', this does not work on the 3rd line, so i thought is any way to cut the field counting from the end? or any perl thing can do this?:confused: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

6. Programming

Sorting a vector of strings into numerical order.

I have a vector of strings that contain a list of channels like this: 101,99,22HD,432,300HD I have tried using the sort routine like this: sort(mychans.begin(),mychans.end()); For some reason my channels are not being sorted at all. I was hoping someone might have some input that might... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get fields in reverse order?

i am having lines like below seperated by "|" (pipe) abc|xyz 123|567 i have to get the above in reverse order xyz|abc 567|123 Pls help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

print in reverse order

Hi, I want to print the item in reverse order such that the output would look like 00 50 50 23 40 22 02 96 Below is the input: 00 05 05 32 04 22 20 69 Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issues with sorting in reverse order

I have a unix script that outputs a summary file to the mac desktop. The file is called summary.txt I am trying to configure such so that the summary.txt file lists the content contained within such in reverse sort order. I have used sort -r but it does not seem to work. I would be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
8 Replies
XML::LibXML::NodeList(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  XML::LibXML::NodeList(3)

NAME
XML::LibXML::NodeList - a list of XML document nodes DESCRIPTION
An XML::LibXML::NodeList object contains an ordered list of nodes, as detailed by the W3C DOM documentation of Node Lists. SYNOPSIS
my $results = $dom->findnodes('//somepath'); foreach my $context ($results->get_nodelist) { my $newresults = $context->findnodes('./other/element'); ... } API
new(@nodes) You will almost never have to create a new NodeList object, as it is all done for you by XPath. get_nodelist() Returns a list of nodes, the contents of the node list, as a perl list. string_value() Returns the string-value of the first node in the list. See the XPath specification for what "string-value" means. to_literal() Returns the concatenation of all the string-values of all the nodes in the list. to_literal_delimited($separator) Returns the concatenation of all the string-values of all the nodes in the list, delimited by the specified separator. to_literal_list() Returns all the string-values of all the nodes in the list as a perl list. get_node($pos) Returns the node at $pos. The node position in XPath is based at 1, not 0. size() Returns the number of nodes in the NodeList. pop() Equivalent to perl's pop function. push(@nodes) Equivalent to perl's push function. append($nodelist) Given a nodelist, appends the list of nodes in $nodelist to the end of the current list. shift() Equivalent to perl's shift function. unshift(@nodes) Equivalent to perl's unshift function. prepend($nodelist) Given a nodelist, prepends the list of nodes in $nodelist to the front of the current list. map($coderef) Equivalent to perl's map function. grep($coderef) Equivalent to perl's grep function. sort($coderef) Equivalent to perl's sort function. Caveat: Perl's magic $a and $b variables are not available in $coderef. Instead the two terms are passed to the coderef as arguments. reverse() Equivalent to perl's reverse function. foreach($coderef) Inspired by perl's foreach loop. Executes the coderef on each item in the list. Similar to "map", but instead of returning the list of values returned by $coderef, returns the original NodeList. reduce($coderef, $init) Equivalent to List::Util's reduce function. $init is optional and provides an initial value for the reduction. Caveat: Perl's magic $a and $b variables are not available in $coderef. Instead the two terms are passed to the coderef as arguments. perl v5.18.2 2014-02-01 XML::LibXML::NodeList(3)