Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run a command on each line of a text file Post 302723815 by Tribe on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 10:00:20 PM
Old 10-30-2012
I've tried with xargs and says "Too many arguments" so I also think the while loop is the best bet since has no counter that can overflow I think.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace text in a file from the command line...

I am having to do a lot of searching thru files to replace words. Is there a command that i can run that will alow me to hunt thru a group of files and replace one word with another without having to open each file idividually? -thanks;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dudboy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get ssh to run a command in one line?

How would I combine something like: localserver# ssh remoteserver remoteserver# find blah blah blah into a one liner that would ssh to the remote server and run the find command, so I could put it in a script to automatically go out and run things on remote servers with out needed user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is command line invocation of gnome-terminal to run more than one command possible?

Hello, I am trying to learn how to pass something more than a one-command startup for gnome-terminal. I will give an example of what I'm trying to do here: #! /bin/bash # #TODO write this for gnome and xterm USAGE=" ______________________________________________ ${0##*/} run... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line and run a different command according to the output

Hi. I'm trying to write a script that reads a line on a file and runs a different command for a different line output. For example, if it finds the word "Kuku" on the line it sends mail to Kuku@kuku.com. Otherwise, it sends mail to Lulu@lulu.com. TIA. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Doojek9
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run multiple command in a single line?

Normally i would do this- cd abc ls -ltr I wish to run above command in a single line, like this- cd abc | ls -ltr But above command doesn't works, it simply runs the second command, ignoring the 1st one. :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boy18nj
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script as root from command line

I have a script (ksh) that has permissions 775 and owned by root.system. This script takes the parameter of a full file name and chmods the file to 666 and changes ownership to user smith.staff. ex: modify_file.ksh /home/smith/filea modify_file.ksh has 775 and root.system ownership. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mlacriola
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Su and run single line command

myenv.sh script sets LOG_DIR variable. I can run the script and echo the variable in a single line as: # First set LOG_DIR to some dummy 'NONE' value $ export LOG_DIR="NONE" $ echo ${LOG_DIR} NONE $ cat /tmp/bin/myenv.sh export LOG_DIR="/tmp/log" #The below command doesn't show the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass each line of a text file as an argument to a command?

I'm looking to write a script that takes a .txt filename as an argument, reads the file line by line, and passes each line to a command. For example, it runs command --option "LINE 1", then command --option "LINE 2", etc. I am fetching object files from a library file, I have all the object file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Martins
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in txt file and run a different command for each line

hi, i'm trying to write a tcsh script that reads in a text file (one column) and the runs a different command for each line of text. i've found lots of example commands for bash, but not for tcsh. can anyone give me a hint? thanks, jill (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuinha
8 Replies
XARGS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  XARGS(1)

NAME
xargs - construct argument list(s) and execute utility SYNOPSIS
xargs [ -t ][[ -x ] -n number ][ -s size ][ utility [ arguments... ]] DESCRIPTION
The xargs utility reads space, tab, newline and end-of-file delimited arguments from the standard input and executes the specified utility with them as arguments. The utility and any arguments specified on the command line are given to the utility upon each invocation, followed by some number of the arguments read from standard input. The utility is repeatedly executed until standard input is exhausted. Spaces, tabs and newlines may be embedded in arguments using single (`` ' '') or double (``"'') quotes or backslashes (``''). Single quotes escape all non-single quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching single quote. Double quotes escape all non-double quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching double quote. Any single character, including newlines, may be escaped by a back- slash. The options are as follows: -n number Set the maximum number of arguments taken from standard input for each invocation of the utility. An invocation of utility will use less than number standard input arguments if the number of bytes accumulated (see the s option) exceeds the specified size or there are fewer than number arguments remaining for the last invocation of utility. The current default value for number is 5000. -s size Set the maximum number of bytes for the command line length provided to utility. The sum of the length of the utility name and the arguments passed to utility (including /dev/null terminators) will be less than or equal to this number. The current default value for size is ARG_MAX - 2048. -t Echo the command to be executed to standard error immediately before it is executed. -x Force xargs to terminate immediately if a command line containing number arguments will not fit in the specified (or default) command line length. If no utility is specified, echo(1) is used. Undefined behavior may occur if utility reads from the standard input. The xargs utility exits immediately (without processing any further input) if a command line cannot be assembled, utility cannot be invoked, an invocation of the utility is terminated by a signal or an invocation of the utility exits with a value of 255. The xargs utility exits with a value of 0 if no error occurs. If utility cannot be invoked, xargs exits with a value of 127. If any other error occurs, xargs exits with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
echo(1), find(1) STANDARDS
The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2("POSIX") compliant. June 6, 1993 XARGS(1)