Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo exact xml tag from an exact file Post 302723773 by graphicsman on Wednesday 31st of October 2012 10:31:26 AM
Old 10-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipinajith
I'm not sure what is your requirement, but if you are looking for a way to extract the data from your XML name tag, then here is how you do it:-

Code:
sed 's:^<name>\(.*\)</name>$:\1:' client.xml

by any chance can you explain what is going on so I can better understand the process?

Edit:
Id like to undertstand this because I would like to extend something else Ive been working on and could use this as a variable for something else.

---------- Post updated 10-31-12 at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous update was 10-30-12 at 05:06 PM ----------

someone suggested xmllint but Im unsure how to use it in an echo for <name></name>

FOUND this while searching.

Last edited by graphicsman; 10-31-2012 at 12:01 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo-exact

I'm new to this so please bear with me.. I have a program that generates a string of the binary data of an image. (I mean, if I take the output of the program, paste it into a text editor and save with a PNG extension, it's a valid image.) Now I want to take this string and pipe it into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matthewwithanm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Exact word in file

Hi ALL, I want to search one string “20 “ i.e 20 with space. But my file where I am searching this “20 “ contain some data like 120 before image file truncated 220 Reports section succeeded 20 Transaction database .prd stopped 220 Reports section completed. When I search for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevan Salunke
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exact path to a file

I uploaded a database file to Public_html of a virtual server using Unix and a dedicated ip address. I can reach it by browser in typing the address as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Directoryname/databasename.dat . I am asked what I want to do, download or open. When I try to reach the file via a program... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmendorf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find exact text in file ?

I have file named shortlist , and it contains this: 2233|charles harris |g.m. |sales |12/12/52| 90000 9876|bill johnson |director |production|03/12/50|130000 5678|robert dylan |d.g.m. |marketing |04/19/43| 85000 2365|john woodcock |director |personnel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cecko
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to get the exact word from the file using script

Hi everybody, I have one requirment, i have to get the particular server name from a file. EX: File contents will be like below.. $cat test.txt HostAssignments->new("server1", [ "PS_SERVER", "REG_SERVER", "PS_ORACLE", "OM_G10_AUD", "OM_G10_CAD", "OM_G10_CHF", ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep exact pattern from file

Contents of my file is: DI DI DIR PHI I want to extract only DI. I am using below command grep -w DI <file> but it is also extracting DI. Can i use any other command to extract exact pattern where '[' does not have special meaning (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add the multiple lines of xml tags before a particular xml tag in a file

Hi All, I'm stuck with adding multiple lines(irrespective of line number) to a file before a particular xml tag. Please help me. <A>testing_Location</A> <value>LA</value> <zone>US</zone> <B>Region</B> <value>Russia</value> <zone>Washington</zone> <C>Country</C>... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep exact IP address from file

I have a file with a lot of IP addresses in it named "address.list". address.list looks something like this: 10.77.50.11 10.77.50.110 10.77.50.111 a bunch more addresses For every IP address I need to grep another file to see if the IP address is in the other file: for x in `cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: squoggle
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving XML tag/contents after specific XML tag within same file

Hi Forum. I have an XML file with the following requirement to move the <AdditionalAccountHolders> tag and its content right after the <accountHolderName> tag within the same file but I'm not sure how to accomplish this through a Unix script. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
19 Replies
STAG-PARSE(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    STAG-PARSE(1p)

NAME
stag-parse - parses a file and fires events (e.g. sxpr to xml) SYNOPSIS
# convert XML to IText stag-parse -p xml -w itext file1.xml file2.xml # use a custom parser/generator and a custom writer/generator stag-parse -p MyMod::MyParser -w MyMod::MyWriter file.txt DESCRIPTION
script wrapper for the Data::Stag modules feeds in files into a parser object that generates nestarray events, and feeds the events into a handler/writer class ARGUMENTS
-p|parser FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module this is the class that parsers the input file(s) and generates stag events xml assumed as default -w|writer FORMAT FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module this is the class that catches the events thrown by the parser; it can be any class, but the class is typically a writer xml assumed as default -o|out FILE the writer will use this file (defaults to STDOUT) -e|errf FILE file to store parse error handler output -errhandler FORMAT/MODULE FORMAT is one of xml, sxpr or itext, or the name of a perl module all parse error events go to this module -r|root NODE_NAME if this is specified, NODE_NAME becomes the root of the stag tree, and anything that was previously the root is placed below this. this happens automatically if more than one file is parsed (because there can only be one tree root) -color Works only if the output handler is able to provide ASCII-colors (currently supported for itext and xml) SEE ALSO
Data::Stag This script is a wrapper for the method Data::Stag->parse() perl v5.10.0 2008-12-23 STAG-PARSE(1p)