Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find command listing
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find command listing Post 302721927 by Don Cragun on Friday 26th of October 2012 03:58:00 AM
Old 10-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayram
Hello,

Could you please confirm what you mean by "order in which they are physically stored in the directory ? Because if you read the directory listing, you will still read it in an alphanumeric order.
Reading "the directory listing" is not the same thing as reading "the directory".

The ls utility (which produces a directory listing) sorts its output by filename by default. It will also produce listings that are sorted by file size, by one of the three time stamps on the file, or unsorted depending on the options you give to ls. If you use the commandls -lfyou will get a list of files in the current directory in long format listed in the order in which those files appear in the directory (i.e., unsorted).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing

need help with this ... Find files older than 5 days and remove tem after listing list "test" file older than 5 days and then remove them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ypatel6871
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing year in ls command

Hi all .. As per rule i searched the forum i am not able found out ... I want to display the year in when listing the files .. when i use ls -lt it is not displaying files with recent 6 month old .. I know that perderabo has written a script for that if you give that link it will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command nonrecurslu listing ls -lrt

---------------------------------------------------------------------- I have tried find . type -f -exec ls -lrt {} \; but it listed files recursively ,I need only that dir files not internal dir file. --------------------------------------------------------------------- (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find problem listing directories even -type f

Hi All, #!/bin/ksh find /home/other -ls -type f -xdev | sort -nrk7 | head -2 >bigfile.txt The above is my script, which writes the large file into a file called bigfile.txt. My script contains only the above two lines. after execution i am getting the output like find: cannot chdir to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command -- listing files twice

I noticed the other day that after i used the find command to search for some files, the computer listed them twice -- first with just the names of the files (meaning ./(then the individual file names), then with the directory name, followed by the file names (./directory name/file name). I was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Long listing of files using find command on remote server via SSH

Hi , I am trying to find some files on a remote machine using the find command. >ssh -q atukuri@remotehostname find /home/atukuri/ -name abc.txt /home/atukuri/abc.txt The above command works fine and lists the file, but if I want to do a long listing of files (ls -l) its not working . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atukuri
2 Replies

7. Solaris

SFTP Command Help - listing files

Ok I am just going to explain what I am running step by step sftp user@hostname sftp > ls < when I run the command "ls" I get a long listing the old version, on the new version I get a short listing how can I change my new version to give me long listing by default (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find directory listing from root to all files in tree format with details of perm/own/grp?

Hi, My apologies if my query is already available on this forum but I am new and could not find. I need a script to list all directories/sub directories and files with permissions/groups/owners. The script would run from home directory and should capture every directory. How do I do this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8709711
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing only the files under a directory from the result of find command

Hi, I have a main folder 'home'. Lets say there is a folder 'bin' under 'home'. I want to check the list of files under subdirectories present under the /bin directory created in the last 24 hours. I am using the following find command under home/bin directory: find . -mtime -1 -print ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJose
3 Replies

10. AIX

Getting files through find command and listing file modification time upto seconds

I have to list the files of particular directory using file filter like find -name abc* something and if multiple file exist I also want time of each file up to seconds. Currently we are getting time up to minutes in AIX is there any way I can get file last modification time up to seconds. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nitesh sahu
4 Replies
File::Listing(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					File::Listing(3pm)

NAME
File::Listing - parse directory listing SYNOPSIS
use File::Listing qw(parse_dir); $ENV{LANG} = "C"; # dates in non-English locales not supported for (parse_dir(`ls -l`)) { ($name, $type, $size, $mtime, $mode) = @$_; next if $type ne 'f'; # plain file #... } # directory listing can also be read from a file open(LISTING, "zcat ls-lR.gz|"); $dir = parse_dir(*LISTING, '+0000'); DESCRIPTION
This module exports a single function called parse_dir(), which can be used to parse directory listings. The first parameter to parse_dir() is the directory listing to parse. It can be a scalar, a reference to an array of directory lines or a glob representing a filehandle to read the directory listing from. The second parameter is the time zone to use when parsing time stamps in the listing. If this value is undefined, then the local time zone is assumed. The third parameter is the type of listing to assume. Currently supported formats are 'unix', 'apache' and 'dosftp'. The default value is 'unix'. Ideally, the listing type should be determined automatically. The fourth parameter specifies how unparseable lines should be treated. Values can be 'ignore', 'warn' or a code reference. Warn means that the perl warn() function will be called. If a code reference is passed, then this routine will be called and the return value from it will be incorporated in the listing. The default is 'ignore'. Only the first parameter is mandatory. The return value from parse_dir() is a list of directory entries. In a scalar context the return value is a reference to the list. The directory entries are represented by an array consisting of [ $filename, $filetype, $filesize, $filetime, $filemode ]. The $filetype value is one of the letters 'f', 'd', 'l' or '?'. The $filetime value is the seconds since Jan 1, 1970. The $filemode is a bitmask like the mode returned by stat(). COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1996-2010, Gisle Aas Based on lsparse.pl (from Lee McLoughlin's ftp mirror package) and Net::FTP's parse_dir (Graham Barr). This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-15 File::Listing(3pm)