Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I can't change the value of my variable! Post 302721755 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of October 2012 06:12:42 PM
Old 10-25-2012
One way to avoid this would be:

Code:
find | sed -e 's:\.::g' -e 's:/::g' -e 's:txt::g' > /tmp/$$

while read a
do
done < /tmp/$$

rm -f /tmp/$$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change the variable in the file

Hi all, I have problem regarding how to change the quantity in the file. I will explain you by an example. I have one file whose name is sample. The content of file are as follows: sample ----------------------------------------------------------- 1 334 3562 2345 5324 85657 75666 845 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aniket
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable name change in a loop

I need to do something like this:for I in var1 var2 var3 ; do $I = "Something calculated inside the loop" doneObviously it doesn't work...but is it possible doing that in other ways? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change only the name of a variable

if I have a variable named z inside a java file, is there any way to globally change the name of the variable and all its occurences as a variable? (but not any other z that is not part of that variable name) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lydiaflamp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I change a variable to something only if it's empty?

I feel like it is just a matter of using the $ operators correctly, but I can't seem to get it... hostname="network" ip="192.168.1.1" netmask="" variables=( $hostname $ip $netmask ) for var in ${variables} do if ; then $var="--" fi done echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: etranman1
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the filename variable value

Hi guys, I have a variable where i am storing the filename (with full path). I just need the value before ".txt". But instead of getting the filename i am getting the contents of the filename. FileName=/appl/data/Input/US/Test.txt a=`awk -F"." '{print $1}' ${FileName}` echo $a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Variable Value from Multiple Scripts and Use these Variable

Hi to All, Please find below details. file_config.config export file1_status="SUCCESS" export file2_status="SUCCESS" file_one.sh I am calling another two shell script from these script. I need to pass individual two script status (If it's "FAILED") to file_main.sh. file_main.sh I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the value of variable in a file

Hi Friends, I have shell script file1.sh which has reference to enviornment file called Content of filenev.sh SKIP_FLAG=N ORACLE_HOME=/u01/oracle/database My requirement is to change the value of SKIP_FLAG to Y in filenv.sh from file1.sh. Could anyone please help me to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change Date in Variable

I am hoping someone can help me with this issue. I am extracting a date from a file that is in DD/MM/YYYY format using... expiry_date=`echo ${line}| awk -F, '{ print $4 }' | tr -d '\r'` What I need to do is amend the value so instead of getting 30/12/2016 I end up with 12/30/2016. I have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: theref
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change variable value

I have big XML which i want to change all VERSIONNUMBER equal to 1,in existing file values of VERSIONNUMBER will be different as below now i want to change all VERSIONNUMBER values qual to 1.Please help me which will convert versionnumber values. <SHORTCUT OBJECTSUBTYPE ="" OBJECTTYPE ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
5 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)