Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Alternative network messaging? Post 302721587 by 123_abc on Thursday 25th of October 2012 02:45:10 PM
Old 10-25-2012
Thanks for your example :-)
There is still a problem, because I can't call "kill" on a remote machine. Hence, I can only call a remote script that sends the signal to the remote process. Is It better to call the process by name or by process ID? Will the process ID be constant after reboot?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Instant Messaging App Help

I was hoping someone could assist me on a text-based instant messaging client(using UDP) I am working on. I have the network communication basics already in place but, specifically, needed some further help on the "messaging other users" and "getting a user list" functions. The server code that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AusTex
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

DT messaging could not be started

this id the message i get with a suggestions to check those files: /etc/src.sh /etc/hosts /usr/adm/inetd.sec i have little knowledge of hoe to edit those files/ i went to the etc library and didn't found src.sh file. what should i do? also didn't find the inetd.sec file In the host... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirp
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

how do i enable messaging

hi guyz i work as a system administrator for some organization(am a newbie). one of the solaris machines is loaded with the messenger server...all configured by a former administrator. my task was to create user accounts for the mail and calendar services and as i checked its not working .....i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: henokia4j
0 Replies

4. Programming

problems while using messaging queues....

hi I am using posix functions such as mq_open, mq_close and including the mqueue.h. but its giving a linking error,"undefined reference to mq_open and mq_close". it it that we have to link some library or so while compiling... plzzz help Thanxs Mohit (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The DT messaging system could not be started

Hello All, I am getting " The DT messaging system could not be started" message when wants to login as root on a box running on tru64 5.1A. /etc/hosts is ok. when i see in .dt/errorlog it shows message server could not be started. Thanks for help. Awadhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The DT messaging system could not be started.

Good Morning, Users can no longer log into SunBlade 2500 Solaris 9 system (though root still can). Here's what I'm getting and what I've done. I'm most suspicious of the full drive since that pops up twice and I did see one looks full. What's a good way to reduce what's on it?- or.. what else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
KILL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process with extreme prejudice SYNOPSIS
kill [ -sig ] processid ... kill -l DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes. If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first argu- ment, that signal is sent instead of terminate (see sigvec(2)). The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG prefix. The terminate signal will kill processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot be caught. By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (i.e. processes resulting from the current login) are signaled (but beware: this works only if you use sh(1); not if you use csh(1).) Negative process numbers also have special meanings; see kill(2) for details. The killed processes must belong to the current user unless he is the super-user. The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell. Process numbers can also be found by using ps(1). Kill is a built-in to csh(1); it allows job specifiers of the form ``%...'' as arguments so process id's are not as often used as kill arguments. See csh(1) for details. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2) BUGS
A replacement for ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 20, 1986 KILL(1)