Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escaping problem in a shell script Post 302721567 by franko007 on Thursday 25th of October 2012 02:28:54 PM
Old 10-25-2012
Thank you for this helpful explanation, you are right i did not realy knew what the real purpose of those quotes is.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

escaping * in korn Shell under Sun Solaris

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prekida
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping * in korn shell

When trying to escape special character * - it doesn't seem to work. In korn shell trying to store a local variable as follows sample=test* echo $sample - gets all the file names starting with test* , instead i want to literally store the value test* into a variable. I tried escaping with \, with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prekida
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script help: escaping the '*'

hi there. i have a simple bash script that reads a word from a text file one at a time, and if a '*' character is encountered, it prints a message. however it doesn't work as i expected. :o what am i doing wrong here? thanks very much for the help :) for word in `cat $DOC` do if... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_nsx
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping apostrophe using shell script

Hi, I am using the KSH shell. I am facing a problem of escaping apostrophe('), that is occuring in a variable. I used the following command, but in vain item=`echo $item|sed 's/'/\'/g'` this code replaces the occurance of ' in an xml file to apostrophe(') symbol. The output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mradul_kaushik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem escaping newline in ksh

Hi, I did the below. $ print "\\n" $ I am curious, why does \\n give two new lines? I would have thought that the first \ would escape the second \, and so we'd get \n printed. But we didn't. Any ideas? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping double-quotes inside the script?

I'm having a strange problem with escaping double-quotes. I have a script that looks like this: #!/bin/bash for HOST in `cat $INFILE | grep -v ^#` do for VFILER in `some_command` do echo " " echo -e '\E The problem with ssh command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

call shell script from perl cgi script problem

hi,, i have perl scipt with line : system('./try.sh $t $d $m'); in shell scipt try.sh i have the line: echo $1 its not printing value of $t that i hav passed..y is it so..i am running it from apache web server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line with match and previous line quoting/escaping problem

Hi folks, I've list of LDAP records in this format: cat cmmac.export.tmp2 dn: deviceId=0a92746a54tbmd34b05758900131136a506,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac: 00:13:11:36:a5:06 dn: deviceId=0a92746a62pbms4662299650015961cfa23,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomas.polak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script newbie, what is problem with my script?

Hello, Ubuntu server 11.10 can anybody help what is problem with my shell script? #!/bin/bash #script to find out currently logged on user is root or not. if ] then echo "You are super" else echo "You are awesome!" fi When I run script, I get following output ./uid: line 3: I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh
4 Replies
SETREGID(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						       SETREGID(2)

NAME
setregid -- set real and effective group ID LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setregid(gid_t rgid, gid_t egid); DESCRIPTION
The real and effective group ID's of the current process are set to the arguments. If the real group ID is changed, the saved group ID is changed to the new value of the effective group ID. Unprivileged users may change the real group ID to the effective group ID and vice-versa; only the super-user may make other changes. Supplying a value of -1 for either the real or effective group ID forces the system to substitute the current ID in place of the -1 argument. The setregid() system call was intended to allow swapping the real and effective group IDs in set-group-ID programs to temporarily relinquish the set-group-ID value. This system call did not work correctly, and its purpose is now better served by the use of the setegid(2) system call. When setting the real and effective group IDs to the same value, the standard setgid() system call is preferred. RETURN VALUES
The setregid() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
[EPERM] The current process is not the super-user and a change other than changing the effective group-id to the real group-id was specified. SEE ALSO
getgid(2), issetugid(2), setegid(2), setgid(2), setuid(2) HISTORY
The setregid() system call appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
April 16, 1994 BSD