Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problems setting or exporting variable when using multiple commands from same line. Post 302721397 by Corona688 on Thursday 25th of October 2012 11:13:11 AM
Old 10-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrif
I am experimenting with some scripting as a way to learn more about it. I have a simple script that calls two other scripts. Each script echos some stuff to prove it ran and then sets a simple variable and exports it.
You must source them. Nothing else will work.

When you source it, it runs inside your current shell, exporting variables inside it for you to use.

When you run it directly, it executes in a new shell. Variables are set and exported in the new shell, which dies uselessly immediately thereafter, taking all its variables with it, because variables don't travel between parent and child. Children get copies of anything you've exported, but are independent thereafter.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exporting variable from config file

Hi, I am exporting the environment variable from config file, but when I echo the variable it does not display any value. Here is the snippet of the code #!/bin/sh export ENVIRONMENT_ROOT_DIRECTORY="/cb/$ENVIRONMENT" echo $ENVIRONMENT_ROOT_DIRECTORY ${JAVA_HOME}/bin/java... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavnabakshi
2 Replies

2. Solaris

variable exporting

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the below two examples: Eg-1: # name=bravo # echo $bravo what would be the o/p Eg-2: # name1=jhonny # export name1 # echo $name1 what would be the o/p If the o/p's of both examples are the same then what is the use of the cmd export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul_11d
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting multiple sed commands on a single line

Hi, I want to make sed write a part of fileA (first 7 lines) to file1 and the rest of fileA to file2 in a single call and single line in sed. If I do the following: sed '1,7w file1; 8,$w file2' fileA I get only one file named file1 plus all the characters following file1. If I try to use curly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varelg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exporting my dynamical variable won't work?

Even though the idea "might" not be great I still wrote this piece of code to get practice.. Which means that it is the CODE that matters here. Anyways; The intension is to create a program(or do we call it script?) that searches recursively through a folder to find a file - stored in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pesk
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

exporting variable

Hi All; I m working on a script and came across an issue ,to explain it briefly here is the sample code echo $HOSTNAME|while read IN; do var=`echo $IN|awk -F "-" '{print $2}'`; export var; echo $var; done now I get the value of $var but when it is out of the while loop it does not return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export command variable exporting problem

I have a txt file from which i am assiging a value to a variable using the code in script1 script1.sh export f=$(sed -n "/Freq *=/ s/.*= *//p" ${R_path}/output.txt) echo "$f" --------> this works in script2 ( which executes the script1) eval ./script1.sh if && ; then echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi792
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Commands on a Single Line

Hi There, I have a cronjob that executes a small script (few lines) that I am certain can be achieved in a single line. The functional objective is actually really simple; cmd var1 The '1' in 'var1' is actually derived from date (day of month) but the snag is when working with 1-9 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Random79
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing top line of text in a file and setting it to a variable

If I have a txt file with test.txt somelineoftext and I want to set that line of text to variable in a script: so #!/bin/bash var='' becomes #!/bin/bash var='somelineoftext' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable in a stream of commands

can someone help me with this? AgentDX=/tmp/tesfinal && cat final.enc | openssl aes-128-cbc -a -d -salt -k hello | sh the content of final.enc is a code. and in that code, the value of AgentDX is needed. however, i cant seem to find a way to allow the code to recognize that the variable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh - how to combine multiple commands in one line

Hey everyone, I am working in an environment where the different users can use ksh or csh. My situation is that I need the same result with one single command line. I am searching for the real path the file is in. My ksh input and output ts2:ts2adm> cd $(dirname $(which sapcontrol)); pwd -P... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h1kelds
2 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)