Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware UNISYS U6000/50 Help needed! :) Post 302720217 by asbesto on Tuesday 23rd of October 2012 03:45:05 PM
Old 10-23-2012
Data UNISYS U6000/50 Help needed! :)

Hi all,

here at our computer museum in Palazzolo Acreide, Italy, we're trying to restore this ancient UNISYS server: (some picture here)

wiki DOT museo DOT freaknet DOT org/?title=UNISYS_U6000/50

(sorry I can't post any URL)

We have casual memory errors but we tested every single SIMM and they are OK. We tried everything; no ripple on power supply, RIFA capacitors changed on power supply, other electrolytic capacitors checked and tested, hot / fresh air on some part of the boards... but sometimes the system run smooth, and sometime it gave us weird errors and lockups. Smilie

We removed every unnecessary board; changed the VGA board, clean everything and look for contacts, bad joints, cables and whatsoever. We also made a complete dump of our 650 Mb SCSI hard disk to save data.

Our goal is to restore this UNIX System V. Release 3.2 Version 3.0 back running again! Smilie

The meaning of our Museum "Informatica Funzionante" is to restore pieces and to let people have fun(*) using them. So we're restoring it Smilie

(*) under our control, obviously! Smilie

We have no spare memory board to swap and make other tests, so here we are asking if somebody can have some boards around for this kind of machine.

Another clue can be to create a similar machine to boot this O.S. but it seem very weird - the SCSI HD image show that there's no boot record so we assume system boot via some hardcoded program into the BIOS. Board start as a Phoenix 386 bios but seem hardly different from any known pc from that era. Also, the Western Digital controller chip seem peculiar and I've find no SCSI controller with this same chip - and the kernel, I presume, is compiled for this controller... Smilie

Maybe can anyone help us? Any spare board, any old UNISYS similar server in the junkyard, or any kind of hint?

Thank you all Smilie

Gabriele

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed

Hello I am a newbie and want to learn unix . Does unix and linux are one and same. I have red hat linux cd but i want to take advice from some one wheather unix and linux are same. If not ,where i'll get a Unix os setup and how i'll install it. If linux would do then how should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunter87
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed

Hi, I am beginner writing shell script i am using korn shell. I wrote shell script through which i am passing system date as parameter to build.xml file but i need to write a function when i pass systemdate as parameter the function has to return its respective quarterly date . Can any one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: connectpramod
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed

aaabbbcccd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hateshellscript
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent - Single User Mode -Unisys System V Release 4.0

Hello All, I have a Unisys 6000/65 machine running Unix System V Release 4.0.My problem is that we received an error that said "SPCS error occurred"and "vxfs:vx -ilisterr-inode 62585 mark bad /filesystem".The machine was stuck and I had to restart it.Now I cannot login from any workstation or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liverpool
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

little help needed..

hi everyone i'm a noob trying to learn unix language.. but seems like i got no leads on how to start.. i'm playing with the 'ps' command.. i'm trying to show the pid, ppid, username, command, cpu utilization (in desc order), process start time and process status.. all in a command.. am i able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilofat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed ....

Hi... I have a folder /home/data ;where some files are present. aaa_asas.txt bbb_xxx.txt ccc_xsxas.txt ddd_sa2esa.txt ------ Also I have a file which is as follows.(/home/file1) cat /home/file1 aaa you bbb are ccc very ddd good -------- now I want to rename all the files in the folder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed...

Guys, There is a file where there are 1000s of records. In the file if some condition satisfies in a certain TAB record (TAB would be first 3 digits of a certain record) then move TAB and all the records (or lines) after TAB to new_file, until another TAB record is encountered in the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prat007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed

please reply for this https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/111493-cutting-lines.html its really urgent (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jojo123
1 Replies

9. Linux

Help needed

hi experts, i am a beginner in AIX..recently got a chance to work with unix team. we have an interface server through which we connect to production servers.. there were lot of files inside root (/) of that interface server owned by different ppl...by mistake i changed the ownership and group of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinimerwe
1 Replies

10. Hardware

Upgrading antique Unisys U6000 / UNIX SVR4 1.2?

I have an old Unisys U6000/65 server I obtained as surplus about 12 years ago. For its day (1993) this server line was capable of insane ability, up to 4 gig of memory using dozens of 30-pin SIMMs and up to six processors, including mixed processor speeds and types (486/Pentium) in the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMahalko
2 Replies
BOOT(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   BOOT(8)

NAME
boot - from power on to the login prompt DESCRIPTION
At power on the machine reads the first sector of the boot device into memory and executes it. This bootstrap code loads /boot, the Minix Boot Monitor. The monitor loads the kernel binaries from /minix, or the newest file in /minix if it is a directory. The Minix system is now running, the different tasks initialize themselves and control is transferred to the last one, init. Init is the grandparent of all Minix processes, it is responsible for starting login processes on each terminal, but first it runs /etc/rc. /etc/rc checks the state of the system and starts daemons. First it sets the keyboard translation to the mapping in /etc/keymap if present, then it reads the time zone from /etc/timeinfo followed by a call to readclock(8) to set Minix time from the hardware clock. Next the file systems are checked if necessary and the /usr file system is mounted. The system is now ready for multiuser startup, /etc/rc starts the update(8) and cron(8) daemons, and initializes the network services. /etc/rc finally recovers crashed editor buffers and cleans out the tmp directories. Init reads /etc/ttytab and starts a getty(8) for each enabled terminal line to allow a user to log in. BOOT ENVIRONMENT
Many features of the drivers inside the kernel are controlled by settings in the boot environment. The values of these variables are usu- ally colon or comma separated numbers configuring the driver. DPETH0 = 300:10 tells the ethernet driver to use I/O address 0x300, inter- rupt request 10, and the default memory address (0xD0000, values may be omitted) for the first ethernet board. (Note that IRQ 2 is redi- rected to IRQ 9 on AT's and PS/2's, so use 9 if a device is jumpered for 2.) Variables that are special to both the monitor and the kernel are described in monitor(8). This section lists extra variables or variable settings: hd = at | bios | esdi | xt Choose the driver that is to be used for the hard disk, in order: IBM/AT (classic AT or newer IDE), BIOS (generic driver), ESDI (some PS/2's), or IBM/XT. By default the first of these drivers that is enabled is used. Most drivers are present in the kernel as distributed, but may be taken out by modifying /usr/include/minix/config.h. (An XT should always use the BIOS driver, not the XT driver, because BIOS calls are cheap on an XT. The XT driver can be used on AT machines with an old XT controller.) DPETHn = on | off Turn an ethernet board on or off. The driver is by default in "sink" mode for all boards. The sink mode allows one to use the driver without an ethernet board installed. The driver will play /dev/null for that device, i.e. nothing comes in, and anything send out is dropped on the floor. If the board is turned on then the driver will use it to send out packets, if it is turned off then the driver will fail for that board. DPETHn = I/O-addr:irq:mem_addr Set the I/O address (hex), IRQ (decimal) and memory address (hex) of the n-th ethernet board and turn it on. By default they are configured as 280:3:D0000 and 300:5:CC000. The memory address is ignored for the Novell ethernet boards, but may be explicitly set to zero to indicate that the board is a Novell ethernet board. You do not need to specify the IRQ with modern Western Digital 8013 compatible ethernet cards, the driver asks the board what its IRQ is. (Note that the default IRQ conflicts with the second serial line, so the serial line is turned off if the ethernet board is configured for IRQ 3.) DPETHn_EA = e0:e1:e2:e3:e4:e5 Set the ethernet address of the n-th ethernet board. The address is normally obtained from the ethernet board, so only in excep- tional circumstances is this setting ever needed. (Use the address of the main server if you want a career change.) AHA0 = I/O-addr:bus-on:bus-off:tr-speed Configure the Adaptec 154xA SCSI host adapter to use the given I/O address (hex), Bus-on time (decimal), Bus-off time (decimal) and transfer speed (hex). The default is 330:15:1:00. The default transfer speed is always 5.0 Mb/s (code 00) ignoring the jumper set- tings. sdn = target,lun Program SCSI disk sdn to have the given target and logical unit number. The target and lun of a tape or other SCSI device may be changed by setting the sdn variable that would be used had it been a disk. So tape device st7 can be set to target 4, lun 1 with sd35=4,1. MCD = I/O-addr:irq I/O address (hex) and IRQ (decimal) of the Mitsumi CD-ROM driver, by default 300:10. TCP
/IP CONFIGURATION To use TCP/IP you have to compile a kernel with networking enabled, and unless you are running standalone you have to enable the ethernet driver. See the DPETHn boot variable above. The driver supports these ethernet cards: Western Digital 8003, Western Digital 8013, SMC Elite Ultra 16, Novell NE1000, Novell NE2000. Many newer variants of the WD8013, now under the SMC brand, are also supported. You are likely to use TCP/IP in one of three situations: Standalone with no connection to a network. In a small network with no support from a "big" host. Connected to a large network with address and name servers. In each situation you need a different set of configuration files. Standalone The machine is configured with a fixed IP address: 192.9.200.1. This is one of the addresses Sun used to give to machines without a regis- tered network address. This address is normally blocked at gateways, so it can do no damage if used in a real net by accident. You need one file, /etc/hosts, that should look like this (using the name "darask" as an example): 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.9.200.1 darask Small Network In a network where the Minix machine can't obtain its IP address and name from a different host you need specify the ethernet address to host name translation in the /etc/ethers file for use by the RARP daemon. Suppose you have two machines in your network then /etc/ethers could look like this: 0:0:c0:a:77:23 darask 0:0:c0:a:68:ce burask Use hostaddr -e to find out what the six octet ethernet address of a host is. Use the address as printed: lowercase hex digits, no leading zeros. The /etc/hosts file shows their IP addresses: 127.0.0.1 localhost 192.9.200.1 darask 192.9.200.2 burask Warning! Do not add ethernet addresses of diskless workstations to your ethers file. A Sun for instance has the stupid habit of booting from the first RARP server that answers, probably your Minix machine... Large Network In a network with a central network administration your machine's IP address and name are given by the RARP and name services of the spe- cial servers on the network. For a new machine you need to apply for an IP address and host name with your network administrator supplying the ethernet address of your machine. You don't need any configuration files now, the irdpd and nonamed daemons automatically find a router and a name server. Note that no knowledge of the IP address or hostname of the Minix machine itself is necessary, it all comes from the RARP and name servers. A series of Minix machines can therefore set up identically. Even if you have no RARP or name servers you can still set them up identi- cally if you list all the Minix hosts in the hosts and ethers files. Simpler configuration tools The rarpd, irdpd and nonamed daemons are complex little programs that try to obtain information about their surroundings automatically to tell the machine what its place in the network is. It should come as no surprise that there are simpler utilities to configure a machine. On a memory starved machine it may even be wise to configure a machine statically to get rid of the daemons. The first daemon, rarpd, can be replaced by: ifconfig -h host-IP-address to set the IP address of the machine. Note that this is only necessary if there is no external RARP service. The second daemon irdpd can be replaced by setting a static route: add_route -g router-IP-address (if there is a router.) The last daemon, nonamed, can be replaced by an entry in /etc/resolv.conf that specifies an external name daemon: nameserver nameserver-IP-address The ifconfig and add_route calls can be placed in the file /etc/rc.net. The calls to the daemons will have to be edited out of /etc/rc. Note that these changes undo all the efforts to make Minix TCP/IP autoconfigurable. Make very sure that all the IP addresses are correct, and that the IP address of your machine is unique. (Mistakenly using the address of a main server will make all other machines look at your machine, and will make all the users of all other machines look at you.) FILES
/boot Minix Boot Monitor. /minix Kernel image, or directory containing them. /etc/rc First of the system initialization files. /etc/hosts Name to IP address mapping. /etc/ethers Name to ethernet address mapping. SEE ALSO
monitor(8), init(8), inet(8), loadkeys(8), readclock(8), fsck(1), update(8), cron(8), ttytab(5), getty(8), hostaddr(1), ifconfig(8), irdpd(8), nonamed(8), rarpd(8), hosts(5), ethers(5), set_net_default(8). DIAGNOSTICS
Checking File Systems. If the system has crashed then fsck is called for the root and /usr file systems. It is wise to reboot if the root file system must be fixed. Finish the name of device to mount as /usr: /dev/ If the name of the /usr file system has not been set in /etc/fstab. You can type a device name, say fd0. hostaddr: unable to fetch IP address TCP/IP misconfiguration. The RARP may have failed because the ethernet address of the machine is not entered in either the remote or the local ethers file. Either talk to your Network Administrator, or make an ethers and a hosts file. 1.2.3.4 login: If you see an IP address instead of a host name then the system failed to translate the IP address. Either talk to your Network Administrator to have the reverse address translation tables fixed, or make a hosts file. NOTES
The names "darask" and "burask" are names of cities from the Dutch translation of the novel "The Many-Colored Land" by Julian May. The author of this text likes names of hosts to be things that contain people, like cities and ships. BUGS
Indefinite hangs are possible if I/O addresses or IRQ's are wrong. A driver may babble about addresses and IRQ's, but that does not mean that what it says is true, it may just be configured that way. It is very difficult to find peripherals on a PC automatically, and Minix doesn't even try. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) BOOT(8)