Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: error in if condition
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers error in if condition Post 302719685 by alister on Monday 22nd of October 2012 10:53:47 PM
Old 10-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
Your variable contents now contain the pipe-symbol ("|"), which is part of the regular shell syntax. After the replacement phase the shell will end up with a command which looks like a pipeline (but of course can't be executed). This is the reason for the syntax error.
Just as a quote is not special when it appears during the parameter expansion parsing phase, the pipe symbol is not in any way special here. The parsing step which looks for quotes, pipes, and other operators has completed.
Code:
$ x='"A"|"B"|"C"'  # Unless eval is used, neither the pipes nor double quotes are special
$ echo $x
"A"|"B"|"C"
$ [ $x = '"A"|"B"|"C"' ] && echo MATCH
MATCH
$ $x
-bash: "A"|"B"|"C": command not found

Note that in that last case the entire string is a single token. Quotes and pipes were taken literally.

The OP's syntax error is most likely from passing string operands to an arithmetic operator, -ne.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

When running if condition, getting the following error

Hi All, My input file name is 1.sh the contents of file are cat status2.txt | while read filename do echo "$filename" echo "first content of the file is ${filename}" echo "second content of the file is ${filename}" echo "second content of the file is ${filename}" if } -eq 0 -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in if-else condition

Hi.. Im using the following script to find whether the present day is monday or not. If it is monday it has to do a specific set of things. #!/bin/sh Present_Date=`date` LOAD_DAY=`date -d "$Present_Date" | cut -d " " -f 1` echo $LOAD_DAY if ;then echo "Monday" #statements;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abala
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition error-please debug my script

Hi All, I have a script which is based on calculating current time The script looks like this: whenever i try to run the script it gives me error:Please advice wherther i have made mistake with if condition or with for loop?? The code : set -x #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in if condition string comparison

Hello all! I need help in debugging following script. I have no idea where I am going wrong. #!/bin/bash for p1 in A1 TM MP do for p2 in A1 TM MP do for mp1 in N1 N2 do for mp2 in N1 N2 do for mp3 in N1 N2 do for mp4 in N1 N2 do for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RLOA
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Condition error!

Hi Guys, Can you please help me to check if my condition is correct. if && then if ; then # active SE_USERID_LUZON_5="A" elif ; then # not active SE_USERID_LUZON_5="D" ${ECHO_CMD}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

while condition error:

I'm trying to run following code: while do echo "Hello World" done but I'm getting error on first line: ./test: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `(' can anyone please tell me who can i run this loop. Also please tell me what will be syntax of do while loop in case i... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: if condition

please follow below code if ; then its giving me an error as "test1.sh: line 3: r=$(eval echo '$lck_'$TABLE != "") if can anyone tell me how to do inside if condition...with out use any variable.. TIA (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling standard error in condition

Testing this with KSH on RHEL The bellow code works but i can't seem to handle the exit status of the unix command when it fails... i wanted to put something like >/dev/null 2>&1 to manage standard output and standard error but it changes my logic and the code doesn't work cause it doesn't... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition giving syntax error. Need help.

Hi, I have an if condition on executing it is giving syntax error as below: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- line 61: syntax error in conditional expression ./play_test.sh: line 61: syntax error near `]' ./play_test.sh: line 61: ` if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramki067
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If condition is not working and getting error

Hi Team, If condition is not working properly and getting below error # ./score1.sh Enter your score ('q' for quit): 102 Enter your score ('q' for quit): q ./score1.sh: line 9: q: integer expression expected Average is: 102%. Exit. Actual code # Calculate the average of given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torrid
3 Replies
funtablerowput(3)						SAORD Documentation						 funtablerowput(3)

NAME
FunTableRowPut - put Funtools rows SYNOPSIS
int FunTableRowPut(Fun fun, void *rows, int nev, int idx, char *plist) DESCRIPTION
The FunTableRowPut() routine writes rows to a FITS binary table, taking its input from an array of user structs that contain column values selected by a previous call to FunColumnSelect(). Selected column values are automatically converted from native data format to FITS data format as necessary. The first argument is the Fun handle associated with this row data. The second rows argument is the array of user structs to output. The third nrow argument specifies the number number of rows to write. The routine will write nrow records, starting from the location speci- fied by rows. The fourth idx argument is the index of the first raw input row to write, in the case where rows from the user buffer are being merged with their raw input row counterparts (see below). Note that this idx value is has nothing to do with the row buffer specified in argument 1. It merely matches the row being written with its corresponding (hidden) raw row. Thus, if you read a number of rows, process them, and then write them out all at once starting from the first user row, the value of idx should be 0: Ev ebuf, ev; /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (ebuf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* process all rows */ for(i=0; i<got; i++){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = ebuf+i; ... } /* write out this batch of rows, starting with the first */ FunTableRowPut(fun2, (char *)ebuf, got, 0, NULL); /* free row data */ if( ebuf ) free(ebuf); } On the other hand, if you write out the rows one at a time (possibly skipping rows), then, when writing the i'th row from the input array of rows, set idx to the value of i: Ev ebuf, ev; /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (ebuf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* process all rows */ for(i=0; i<got; i++){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = ebuf+i; ... /* write out the current (i.e., i'th) row */ FunTableRowPut(fun2, (char *)ev, 1, i, NULL); } /* free row data */ if( ebuf ) free(ebuf); } The final argument is a param list string that is not currently used. The routine returns the number of rows output. This should be equal to the value passed in the third nrow</B argument. When FunTableRowPut() is first called for a given binary table, Funtools checks to see of the primary header has already been written (either by writing a previous row table or by writing an image.) If not, a dummy primary header is written to the file specifying that an extension should be expected. After this, a binary table header is automatically written containing information about the columns that will populate this table. In addition, if a Funtools reference handle was specified when this table was opened, the parameters from this Funtools reference handle are merged into the new binary table header. In a typical Funtools row loop, you read rows using FunTableRowGet()() and write rows using FunTableRowPut(). The columns written by FunT- ableRowPut()() are those defined as writable by a previous call to FunColumnSelect(). If that call to FunColumnSelect also specified merge=[update|replace|append], then the entire corresponding raw input row record will be merged with the output row according to the merge specification (see FunColumnSelect() above). A call to write rows can either be done once, after all rows in the input batch have been processed, or it can be done (slightly less effi- ciently) one row at a time (or anything in between). We do recommend that you write all rows associated with a given batch of input rows before reading new rows. This is required if you are merging the output rows with the raw input rows (since the raw rows are destroyed with each successive call to get new rows). For example: Ev buf, ev; ... /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (buf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = buf + i; .... process } /* write out this batch of rows */ FunTableRowPut(fun2, buf, got, 0, NULL); /* free row data */ if( buf ) free(buf); } or Ev buf, ev; ... /* get rows -- let routine allocate the row array */ while( (buf = (Ev)FunTableRowGet(fun, NULL, MAXROW, NULL, &got)) ){ /* process all rows */ for(i=0; i<got; i++){ /* point to the i'th row */ ev = buf + i; ... process /* write out this batch of rows with the new column */ if( dowrite ) FunTableRowPut(fun2, buf, 1, i, NULL); } /* free row data */ if( buf ) free(buf); } Note that the difference between these calls is that the first one outputs got rows all at once and therefore passes idx=0 in argument four, so that merging starts at the first raw input row. In the second case, a check it made on each row to see if it needs to be output. If so, the value of idx is passed as the value of the i variable which points to the current row being processed in the batch of input rows. As shown above, successive calls to FunTableRowPut() will write rows sequentially. When you are finished writing all rows in a table, you should call FunFlush() to write out the FITS binary table padding. However, this is not necessary if you subsequently call FunClose() with- out doing any other I/O to the FITS file. Note that FunTableRowPut() also can be called as FunEventsPut(), for backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
See funtools(7) for a list of Funtools help pages version 1.4.2 January 2, 2008 funtablerowput(3)