Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to identify a network device before trying to connect to it? Post 302719361 by DGPickett on Monday 22nd of October 2012 11:52:23 AM
Old 10-22-2012
It occurs to me that if you just ping the local collision domain Ethernet host, the mac will be in your host's ARP cache, if you can find where it is or list it.

Google time: How to display/clear ARP cache?

How to display ARP cache in Linux ?
There are two commands to display ARP cache.
Command 1 : ip neighbor show
[root@avas-2 ~]# ip neighbor show
Command 2 : arp
[root@avas-2 ~]# arp
This User Gave Thanks to DGPickett For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Network device driver

HI, I am writing a network device driver for RTL8139c card on 2.6.18 kernel ... I am facing few queries listed below 1. Can i able to at all write a driver for RTL8139C or Realtek had designed new chip for 2.6 series kernel? 2. If no then which driver file 2.6.18 uses .. Is it 8139too.c or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niketan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to identify which device from ssd29?

Platform: Sun Solaris ver 9. Get alert notification from Oracle and the device stated: Disk utilization for ssd29 reached 98%. How can we map this ssd device with something like c1t2d0s0? Pls help. Thank you. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
10 Replies

3. IP Networking

Can AnyOne Help Me (connect two network)

Hi.. I have problem about connecting two network. First let me tell about my project. I use Quagga to build up IPv6 Island Network. At first, i build one (1) PC Router or one (1) network, i call it as Network A. All PC's or Laptop's (node's) that connect to Network A can communicated to each other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lieyza
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

how to identify network activity?

Hi there, I have a computer that is not a server. I mean it should have no network activity as it is meant to display videos and not to provide any ftp, web or whatever service. The probleme is that the computer actualy reports a constant network activity. How can I identify the processes that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
1 Replies

5. AIX

entstat: 0909-003 Unable to connect to device

Hello All, at our client VIOS Server there is shared ethernet adapter ent6, when I run lsattr -El ent6 the output shows real adapter ent1 lsattr -El ent6 accounting disabled Enable per-client accounting of network statistics True ctl_chan ent5 Control Channel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

What is a fake network device?

Thanks in advance! Ben (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
1 Replies

7. Hardware

identify wireless network card

hi Howto identify wireless network card using Live CD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB device not recognised after re-connect

Hi all unixware 7.1.3 I'm afraid ! I connected a usb tape drive and it was automatically recognised in the device list (sdiconfig -l) and created devices in /dev/rmt (ctape1 etc.). I could successfully read and write to the device. Then unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
0 Replies
arp(1M)                                                   System Administration Commands                                                   arp(1M)

NAME
arp - address resolution display and control SYNOPSIS
arp hostname arp -a [-n] arp -d hostname arp -f filename arp -s hostname ether_address [temp] [pub] [trail] DESCRIPTION
The arp program displays and modifies the Internet-to-MAC address translation tables used by the address resolution protocol (see arp(7P)). With no flags, the program displays the current ARP entry for hostname. The host may be specified by name or by number, using Internet dot notation. OPTIONS
-a Display all of the current ARP entries. The definition for the flags in the table are: M Mapping; only used for the multicast entry for 224.0.0.0 P Publish; includes IP address for the machine and the addresses that have explicitly been added by the -s option. ARP will respond to ARP requests for this address. S Static; not learned for the ARP protocol. U Unresolved; waiting for ARP response. You can use the -n option with the -a option to disable the automatic numeric IP address-to-name translation. Use arp -an or arp -na to display numeric IP addresses. -d Delete an entry for the host called hostname. This option may only be used by the super-user. -f Read the file named filename and set multiple entries in the ARP tables. Entries in the file should be of the form: hostname MACaddress [temp] [pub] [trail] See the -s option for argument definitions. -s Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with the MAC address MACaddress. For example, an Ethernet address is given as six hexadecimal bytes separated by colons. The entry will be permanent unless the word temp is given in the command. If the word pub is given, the entry will be published. For instance, this system will respond to ARP requests for hostname even though the hostname is not its own. The word trail indicates that trailer encapsulations may be sent to this host. arp -s can be used for a limited form of proxy ARP when a host on one of the directly attached networks is not physically present on the subnet. Another machine can then be configured to respond to ARP requests using arp -s. This is useful in certain SLIP configurations. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), arp(7P), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Mar 2003 arp(1M)